ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Arctic Cat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/arctic-cat/)
-   -   help with 4wd auator plug- broken (https://atvconnection.com/forums/arctic-cat/378646-help-4wd-auator-plug-broken.html)

maybehonda 05-18-2019 01:01 PM

help with 4wd auator plug- broken

Took a stick in the front of the ATV.. The stick popped the acuator plug apart and in the process it broke one side of the plug itself. I'm left with one good half of the plug (actuator side) and 4 wires with the metal tips still on the ends.

I'm guessing I can not just buy a new plug half and solder it on. So I'm left with sticking the wire tips into the remaining plug half sealing it and putting something on to protect it.

My question is, which wires go into which hole?

I can tell the wire colour of the side without the plug half. But I can not see the wire colour of the side with the plug still attached.

Can I use a volt meter to determine which wire tip goes into which hole? Or if I strip the insulation off the plug side will the colours match up?

Thanks

Zrock 05-19-2019 10:07 AM

you should be able to go to any dealer and order a new plug. Or go to a automotive store and see if it matches up with a current weather tight plug they may have in stock.

maybehonda 05-20-2019 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Zrock (Post 3418957)
you should be able to go to any dealer and order a new plug. Or go to a automotive store and see if it matches up with a current weather tight plug they may have in stock.

I think it would be a wiring harness I need, not the plug. I doubt I could just order the plug end, but Ill stop by the dealership this week.

Zrock 05-26-2019 12:03 PM

you can go to any automotive store and buy replacement weathertight plugs both ends. Then just put the new ends on and your up and running

maybehonda 05-26-2019 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Zrock (Post 3419281)
you can go to any automotive store and buy replacement weathertight plugs both ends. Then just put the new ends on and your up and running

I didn';t know this. I haven't had time stop at the dealership yet, but I have to go there tomorrow for something else. So I'll ask for a connector end.

I did look at the wire ends left and the attached connector and I can easily match the wire to the hole as long as the color is the same if I can't get a connector.

Zrock 05-27-2019 09:58 AM

Any good automotive parts store will have weather tight connectors just get one with the amount of wires you need and you wll be up and running.. Probably better quality then the stock one as well. Worst case go find a junk car and cut one of it

maybehonda 06-10-2019 09:08 PM

So it turns out the wire colors on the actuator side are different colors then the wires coming from the engine.

Black/red are on both sides, but thats it.

I'm hesitant to even connect black to black and red to red and worry about the remaining two. There's a chance red on one side is not red on the other.

Does anyone has a match ATV that could take a look at the wire colours for me? Googling produced nothing.

Thanks

Zrock 06-10-2019 09:32 PM

If u still had parts of both ends of plug then u should have been able to see what way the plugs lined up and matched colors... red will be red black will be black manufacturers usually don't intermingle solid color main wires just the oddball stuff... I will bet one of the other wires is 4x4 and the other will be 4x4 locked. They are probably just trigger wires with the black and red being constant power and ground

maybehonda 06-29-2019 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Zrock (Post 3420228)
If u still had parts of both ends of plug then u should have been able to see what way the plugs lined up and matched colors... red will be red black will be black manufacturers usually don't intermingle solid color main wires just the oddball stuff... I will bet one of the other wires is 4x4 and the other will be 4x4 locked. They are probably just trigger wires with the black and red being constant power and ground

I don't have both ends of the plug though. Only one.

I'm sure red/red and black/black, but on the off chance its not I don't want to risk frying my accuator.

maybehonda 06-29-2019 05:50 PM

I also stopped by the dealership. They don't have a listed part number for the plastic plug ends. They said they've never heard of being able to buy the ends.

They suggested just using some individual connectors and taping it up afterward they are connected.