ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Arctic Cat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/arctic-cat/)
-   -   H1 belt slipping (https://atvconnection.com/forums/arctic-cat/379583-h1-belt-slipping.html)

neub7 10-21-2019 07:54 AM

H1 belt slipping

I just purchased a 2008 Prowler 650 H1 with about 4,500 miles on it. After owning it for 3 days and putting about 30 miles on it the belt exploded inside the housing. Now I cannot get the new belt to stop slipping. I have disassembled the secondary, cleaned all the clutch faces, and inspected everything. I see nothing wrong. The belt sits about 1/8" below the secondary. I'm not sure what to do next. Would Clocking the secondary clutch tighten the belt up? Any advise would be great. Thanks.

Kymco 450i 10-21-2019 08:24 AM

Sure you have the right belt? I would double check size. With all the afternarket belts, it would be easy to grab the wrong size

neub7 10-21-2019 08:57 AM

Yup its the correct belt. It's an OEM belt.

Alex G. 10-21-2019 09:01 AM

Re-clocking the 2ndry does not "tighten the belt" It just changes the amount of tension on the spring.

When you were re-installing the primary, did you hold the plates together that house the rollers while you where tightening the nut?
If you didn't and the rollers moved, it would cause belt slippage.

neub7 10-21-2019 09:32 AM

Yup. I made sure to hold it together to keep the rollers in place and also made sure it was up on the spline. I also used red loc tite. It only slips in high.

Alex G. 10-21-2019 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by neub7 (Post 3426394)
Yup. I made sure to hold it together to keep the rollers in place and also made sure it was up on the spline. I also used red loc tite. It only slips in high.

Then it's not the cvt/belt. Cvt functions the same in low or high.

neub7 10-21-2019 10:34 AM

Wet clutch then possibly? Why would it start all this after a blown belt?

Kymco 450i 10-21-2019 11:10 AM

You mentioned the belt exploded, so...did you clean all the debris out of the clutches? Sounds like there may be some shrapnel still inside preventing one or both clutches from operating correctly. Also be sure all clutch faces are clean, some use a fine sandpaper to clean crud off the faces.

Alex G. 10-21-2019 11:45 AM

I recommend using a greeny weeny or scotch brite pad with either brake cleaner or carb cleaner....
The wet clutch is a direct connection to the cvt and if it worked correctly before your belt exploded and you didn't touch it in any way during your cleanup, then it should still function as before.
Are you 100% sure that the slipping isn't occurring in low as well?
Can you describe the slipping? How fast your going when it happens? RPM? etc....

neub7 10-21-2019 12:07 PM

I have completely disassembled the secondary and scrubbed both faces with scotch guard and brake clean. I scrubbed the primary faces also and cleaned the rollers. I can see nothing wrong with the primary or secondary. It slips in high when I am starting out on any incline, loading on a trailer, starting on a hill... Etc. Or when I'm riding along and come to a steep incline. If I put it in low it will climb without slipping. I really haven't gone out of my way to try to get it to slip in low, I've just finished what I was doing when it slipped in high. I also haven't tried to slip in reverse.