Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Your Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First like to say hello to everyone,a rookie to the board. In the process of thinking about buying a ATV that will probally be in 400 to 500 series. Have never own one and I ask why would the Artic Cat be a better pick over the other brands. Would like the good and also the bad coverage for an Artic Cat. Will be posting on the other forums for their opinions. All information will be welcome,got a lot to learned about atv's. The four wheeler be use for fun riding and hunting. Thanks

Little John

Old 10-01-2001, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

Well, as a proud owner of a 2002 400 4x4 I can give you my 2 cents...

Why to get a Cat...
-Better Clearance than (most) other brands
-More torque (arguable, they sure do pack a punch)
-Better suspension (regardles of the "i" independants or the "ACT" models, the articulation is excellent)
-you get to commune with all the nice people in this here forum (well, you can do that anyway, I guess)
-excellent (based on this boards comments) reliability

Why NOT to get a Cat...
-They're slow. Not turtle slow, but not nimble quick by any means. Mine tops out at 50mph. For what I do (trail riding), this is plenty fast. As a workhorse, that's BLAZING fast. As a sport machine, that's pokey slow.
-They're a little harder to turn. There's more weight up front than out back in a Cat, so it takes a little more muscle to turn them.

I am sure there will be others here who'll give you their opinions as well. I think the Cat is a good all around vehicle and am very happy with mine. Ultimately, however, you'll need to way what your needs and desires are before making your choice.

Old 10-01-2001, 07:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cowboy/others

More questions to the above.

What is the standard warranty from the manufacturer for AC's and Polaris? I've narrowed it down to the HO or the 500i. The 500HO seems to have more snap which seems to concur with the general consensus that AC doesn't set the world on fire in terms of speed. I saw an opinion somewhere that the AC auto's were noisy. Has anyone found this to be a problem? What about HP I know the CC's of each but how does it translate?
It boils down to the reliability of the AC vs. the reliability of the Polaris. Everything else is pretty even to me.

I've ridden them both and planning on doing it again.

Thanks for everyone's input.. learned a substantial amount in this forum over a short period. Looking forward to the big purchase.

Old 10-01-2001, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Correction,
I've ridden the ACT and was thinking about just ordering the 500i to try and get it in November.

Old 10-01-2001, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

Little John and Bugger-
I'll try to hit on both your questions at the same time, if possible...

Why AC over the other brands?
Pechmial has a good start. I would like to add though that if looking at the new "i" model, the AC DOES have the highest ground clearance at 12", and highest rate of wheel travel, at 10" per wheel-nothing else even close. -well, scratch that, I'm not positive on the new SP700-forgot it just came out! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Anyway, setting it aside, yes, AC is on top with clearance and wheel travel for IRS machines. Now, for strait axle quads, AC is also one of the very top, if not thee top in this same category-rated 10.75" clearance, which is up from the 9.2 of previous years. Despite what some may say, ground clearance does have an effect on where you can go, and how easily you can get there. With the weight I carry on my 'Cat, there is no question the places I can go now with the added heigth of my spring spacers, and my huge 27" 'Claws, that the stock machine under weight could not go.

As far as strait axle machines go, AC is hands down the best by far, with the ACT rear suspension set up. The rear swing axle has previously been compared in ride smoothness to the SP500, though at that time, the AC and the SP were the two smoothest machines possible, regardless. Spend any amount of time on a machine, you'll soon see why the rear ACT is that much better than the competition-it really is that good.

If you carry any kind of weight at all, AC is/was the leader in weight ratings, with 100 lbs. up front, and 200 lbs. rear-rated rack capacities. For guys like me who work their quads, this is very important as well-for hauling logs, winch and recovery gear, and animals out during hunting season-the 'Cat is hard to beat.

Pechmial mentioned torque-the AC is a torque monster, period. Prior to the new 600+cc machines coming out, AC had the highest torque rating at 31 ft/lbs., which is even higher than the 600 Grizz at 29 lbs. With the new 650 Kaw, 660 Griz and SP700, I'm sure they will have more, but with 150+cc's compared to the 500's, it damn well better have higher torque and HP ratings! In the 500 range, I think AC still has the highest rating.

The seat is also very comfortable on the 'Cat. I've broken my back before, have back pain quite frequently, and the AC is the only machine I can spend any length of time on, without significant pain increases. Honda was by far the worst, was about 45 minutes before I was ready to die riding on those things. Mentioning the seat may sound kind of funny, but take a good 50+, or better yet-100+ mile ride, you'll soon learn to appreciate just how important a soft seat can be.

And, for all out utility work, and trail riding, the AC is just hard to beat, period. When you compare features dollar for dollar, AC just gives you more. Hate to sound like the brochure with that statement, but it's true. Selectable 2/4wd, disc breaks, large fuel tank in addition to the list above, and a front diff. that actually works. I've abused the hell out of my 'Cat through heavy working conditions, and have put many hard trail miles on the machine in some of the nastiest terrain you can find, she takes what I dish out and begs for more. I couldn't be happier with the machine.

What about dislikes?
Again, Pechmial has started the list with the speed and steering. AC is definately not the fastest machine by any means. If speed is of utmost importance to you, then look elsewhere-top speed here for the 500's is mid-50's or so, though the new '02 models may hit close to 60, I don't know-a GPS will tell you for sure. Fact of the matter is, the trails that I ride, you're rarely hitting over 1-2 miles per hour anyway, all in low range, so personally, I don't see what good it does to have a machine that goes 60+ anyway. I can't ever use that speed, so why worry about it?

Steering is the other negative. AC is harder to steer than most other machines. This can be greatly reduced, or lightened however, with the addition of more aggressive, narrower front tires. With less rubber on the ground up front, the machine steers worlds easier than with the stock rubber.

For me, I carry a lot of weight up front-and back for that matter, and found the spring/shock assembly to be too soft. I made some spring spacers to remedy this problem, which also gave me a slight lift as well, while removing any body roll there was before as well. The spacers work great for me, I couldn't be happier with their performance. AC however went one step further, and made adjustable shocks for the new '02 models. The idea here is that you can increase or decrease the stiffness of the ride by adjusting the shocks. I haven't ridden one yet, so I don't know for sure if they would be stiff enough for me or not-somebody who has used them under weight will have to tell you for sure on that or not.

Another common complaint on older models was the fan-it runs all the time, as soon as you turn the key on. When crossing deep water, the fan will blow a fuse to prevent other damage to the electrical system. This is a safety feature to protect the machine, but for the guys always crossing very deep water, it is a small annoyance to have to replace the fuse when it blows. A simple fix is an inline switch to shut the fan off for crossing deep water, then flip it back on after you're out. Very easy to install, cures that little annoyance.

Then, if you really want to get picky, the carb breather lines and fuel tank breather/drain tube are in a position that can take on water if crossing very deep water or mud. Simple cure for that is re-locating to a new higher location. This is really nothing the average rider will even run into problem with, but for the guys in the really deep water, it might be a factor to be looked at. I have re-located my breather tubes to higher locations, and haven't had a problem since. This is also something you'll run into on all machines when encountering deep water-not AC exclusive.

What about the warranty?
AC comes standard with a 6 month warranty from the factory, bumper to bumper. During the "factory incentive" program, you can choose either the winch package for the machine, or an optional 18 month extended warranty, that will give you 2 years of coverage. As for Polaris, I don't know what they have stock-can't remember exactly, but I have seen guys purchasing a 4 year extended warranty-that alone should set warning flags-why 4 years, when 2 is about what the competition offers?

What incentive should I choose?
When anybody asks what I would choose for the factory incentive when purchasing an AC machine, I will always say-"take the winch package for the $69". The winch in my opinion is the single biggest investment you can make to any 4x4 machine. Reliability on the AC is such that you probably won't get your money's worth out of the extended warranty anyway, and for the savings you get on the winch, it just makes more sense to go with the winch. We took the winch on my machine, while my dad opted for the extended warranty, thinking we wouldn't need two winches. Our first outing, it was obvious we made the wrong decision. By then, it was too late, AC headquarters had already processed our paperwork, so it was too late to exchange his extended warranty on the winch instead. My warranty has long been expired, his is up here shortly, and neither machine has been to the dealer for warranty repair, ever. Basically, we lost out on the winch deal, thinking the warranty would be a better deal. For the abuse I've put these 'Cats though, I would have assumed the same, but again, false assumption, it wasn't needed. Go with the winch.

Now, if you opt for the Polaris, I will give a totally different opinion-Get the warranty! As long as possible for that matter. We all know Polaris's past reputation for poor reliability to say the least, and while they have come a long way in improving things, they haven't come far enough. I know too many people with far too many problems with their Polaris machines, and have seen far too many complaints on these forums to believe otherwise.

Oh, to add one more "positive" to the list of why AC, I would also like to add maintenance-I LOVE only having to add gas and check the air filter before every ride, then change the oil every 500 miles. That is it, nothing more, period. I clean the air filter when it needs it, or at 500 miles with the oil and filter change, regardless. Other than that, add gas, and that is it, nothing more to worry about. I don't have time to go around greasing everything after every mud hole, or water crossing, or the patience for that matter. Having such a low maintenance machine is a huge asset to the "fun and enjoyability" department.

And, to be fair, I'll add one more "negative"-the rear tool storage compartment-it is just plain too small to store anything of value. I keep extra spark plugs, different jet sizes for altitude changes, and the basic AC tool kit in it, that is all, not much room for anything else. It would be real easy to rip that thing off, and install a larger box to hold more, I've just been too lazy to do that, as I have a huge box up front, with a even larger rear rack bag, so I throw all my gear in there.

Well, this post is extremely long-even for my standards, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img], so I'd better stop rattling my jaw at this point. If you have any other questions, don't be affraid to ask, that is what we're all about-helping each other make the right decision based on their own personal needs, and giving good advice when needed.

Best of Luck guys, and hope that helps,

Mike

Old 10-01-2001, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Damn, that WAS looooonnnnngggggggggg! Sorry Guys! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-01-2001, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Little John,
I think this question is asked by most people who look into buying an ATV so you are not alone. There are certain things to consider when purchasing an ATV; Maintenance, features, reliability, looks, etc.

Reliability: Personally I don't think that there is an unrelaible company making ATV's. They all will last a long time if you take care of them and don't abuse them. Basically is comes down to price, features, and maintenance. No matter what you choose just take care of it.

Maintenance: Most machines are maintenance free for the most part except for routine stuff like oil, filters, tires, brakes, etc. Polaris is about the only brand that I know of that requires greasing of it moving parts. This is not necessarily bad but different. According to Polaris they feel that this is a better way to go. They feel that their parts will last longer than the zero maintenance parts on the other brands. Personally it was an extra task I didn't want to perform on my 4X4.

Features: Every ATV is different in the list of features it offers. here are some things to consider;
Brakes-Drum VS Disc. Disc brakes have more stopping power, are easier to maintain and clean. They are not suseptable to temperature changes, and are more reliable. They do tend to wear out quicker and require more maintenance. Drum Brakes last a little longer, are harder to change/replace, have less stopping power, can freeze and crack if water gets in them and then freezes (the whole drum housing will crack). They are also harder to adjust. Personally I like Disc Brakes. It took me 10 minutes to change both sets on the front of my Polaris. It would take three times that to change drum brakes.
Liquid Cooled motor VS. Air/Oil Cooled. The liquid cooled motors stay at a constant temperature thereby offering you better power and performance. They also can go longer between oil changes. They are more expensive and have extra parts that can break. They are also heavier. Air/Oil cooled motors are less expensive, but they can overheat. Because oil is used as a coolent they tend to require more frequent oil changes. I personally like liquid cooled motors. I feel they offer more cosistant power and its well worth the additional costs.
Suspension Travel: My moto is the more the better. Most models come with 7"-9" of travel anything less is like riding a buckboard,or Suzuki Samari. If you have money to spare and want the ultimate ride then after market shocks are definetly the way to go!!!
Fuel Capacity: Polaris is the hands down winner with 5.25 gallon capacity on most machines. When you are riding long distances it can make the difference between walking or riding. However most manufactures on the recent models offer atleast a 4 gallon capacity.
Independent Suspension VS. Solid Axle. IS gives and smoother ride, allows the wheels to stay in contact with the terrain, are safer and less likely to tip when in uneven terrain. Looses ground clearence when loaded down with weight. Solid Axle gives a rougher ride, will cause one or more wheels to lift when the terrain becomes uneven. they are less expensive. Doesn't loose ground clearence when loaded down. I personally like the ACT suspension because it combines the best of both worlds. Smooth ride with no loss of ground clearence.
Selectable 2WD/4WD VS. Constant. The selectable offers easier turning when in 2WD, it also offers you a tighter turning radius in 2WD, Less fatiguing on long rides. Constant- you don't have to stop and push buttons or pull levers. does have a heavier steering.
Wheel Base and Width. narrow VS wide. narrow wheel base and width will cause the machine to have lighter steering, tighter turning radius, gives it a sportier feel. It will be more tipsy in rougher terrain and the front end will be lighter climbing hills. Wider machines will have a heavier feel to steering, wider turning radius, but will be more stable in uneven terrain.
Frame mounted headlights VS handle bar mounted. Frame mounted headlights only turn with the machine. handle bar mounted headlights you can turn them and see what you are turning into. Most people don't ride at night. You can also buy after market lights and add them to your quad.
Rack Capacity: Most racks are made of the same thickness of material thereby the weight caring capacity should be equal. however, some manufactures choose to show a lower rating thereby avoiding liabilty should something happen.
Sorry for the long post but I felt educating you on the pro's and con's of the features is better than telling what quad to buy.
But if you want to know how I feel...I have ridden a lot of different machines and it just comes down to price comfort and features. I feel the Arctic Cat offers the best value of any brand out there. You get the most features for the best price. My second choice is Polaris. They are a great machine and will last ever bit as long as anything else out there. but this is just my personal opinion.

Good luck in your decision. Have fun trying them all out and decide what you like the best.

Trending Topics

Old 10-01-2001, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

and I thought mine was long. Good Job Cowboy!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-01-2001, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Here too is my extremely long POST...

Arctic Cat Good.
Polaris Bad.

Old 10-01-2001, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

For those guys without a sense of humor I was kiding. I'd own a polaris if had to. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Your Opinion