Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

ACT SEMI-INDEPENDENT REAR

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 09:47 PM
jdm
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering what the difference between a straight axle and the act rear was. I was looking at ac's website and I couldn't find a description of how it works. The pictures looked like it was a straight axle with a spring on each side. Is that all that is or is it more complex than that? The reason I ask is I am thinking about buying one

Old 10-04-2001, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

Hey dude ' A straight axle is mounted soild to a swing arm like a motorcycle . It dosnt allow any pivit or flex where as act semi dose . IT is mounted by troque arms that give and flex and allow more travel; .I have followed my son on trails and watched it work . My sons bayou has a straight axle boy you can tell the difference to .IT rides hard no give at all side to side just up and down 2001-400-4x4 2000-250-2x4 1997-220 -bayou 2002-400-4x4 -nov -17 - i hope

Old 10-05-2001, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

The straight axle only moves in vertical motion. THE ACT suspension moves both vertically and latterally like a 4 link rear suspension on a coil spring racer. A demonstration would be to take a Truck and put a block under the left rear and watch how the truck bed stays level but the rear axle will tilt.

This gives you more tire contact with the ground, and there for more traction.

Old 10-05-2001, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

Those guys are right on. Swing axles only move up and down. The act suspension allows the axle to pivot laterally which keeps the quad very stable if only one tire hits a bump. Very smooth and functional. Not quit as much flex as a fully independent suspension but very good. Still retains the stregnth of a solid axle.

Dakota R/T

Old 10-05-2001, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider

If you have a "Flash" enabled browser, go to the Arctic Cat web site and then to the ATV area. Look for a link called "Technology" on the left side and click it. There are little movies there that will let you look at all the suspension systems and shows side by side comparisions to a competative ATV (looks like a Yamaha). These little videos clearly show the differences between the Independant or Act suspension and an an independant swing arm.

BTW, when I test rode both the "i" and "act" models at a recent gamefair, I could not tell the difference between them. BOTH are smooth and comfortable. As far as I can tell, the only difference is ground clearance is better with the "i." There was a HUGE difference between both these machines and the swing arm models of the competitors.