Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Handlebars on AC 300 seem to slip, bars will turn 360 degrees if controls would allow

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was riding one day when I saw a big log in the trail, I jerked my handle bars and the wheels didn't turn, but the handle bars did. I checked my tie rods and they are hooked up right. I think maybe its slipping up near the gas tank by the carrier.
Can anyone tell me?

Old 12-02-2001, 03:43 AM
Range Rover

Sounds like the steering stem is stripped out, if it's underwarranty bring it in. It should be covered. If not, I think it should be fairly easy to change yourself.

Old 12-04-2001, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Are you saying that the handle bars turn and the steering stem remains still? If this is the case then It sounds like the weld has broken. The steering stem should be a one piece pipe which has a flat piece welded on the top. The flat piece has four holes in it. You bolt the handle bar clamps onto this flat piece. This is what secures the handle bars to the steering stem. Check and make sure you have four bolts going down through the handle bar clamps connected to the flat piece. Check the welds under the flat piece at the top of the steering stem. If you can turn the handle bars and the steering stem remains still then the weld is broken here or at the bottom where it bolts onto the frame.
Next if the steering stem itself is loose and you can move it. The clamp generally connected to the frame by the gas tank could be loose. Do not over tighten these bolts. The clamp is designed so the you get a free rotation but no lateral movement. A lot of times there is a rubber gasket between this clamp and the steering stem.
Now at the bottom of the steering stem it is welded to a machined/threaded stud. Which is attached to the lower frame and rides on bearings. If the lower part of the stem is loose then either the nut or bearings are gone. Again these are designed to allow for a smooth rotation but no vertical or lateral movement. Also at the bottom of the steering stem should be a tab welded and on the frame two tabs welded one each side of the one on the steering stem. These are the steering stops. This is what prevents the steering from being turned too far and popping out the CV Joints.
Next is your tie Rods. Make sure they are straight and not bent. Make sure the tie rod ends are stiff. if they move easily then they are worn out and need to be replaced. Make sure the nuts that secure the tie rods to the steering stem and hub carrier are tight.
If all of these are tight and work properly then you've got me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] maybe you ought to switch brand of cigarettes or stop smoking whatever it is you're smoking. LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]