ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Arctic Cat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/arctic-cat/)
-   -   Idle problem with 500i Manual (https://atvconnection.com/forums/arctic-cat/54892-idle-problem-500i-manual.html)

bbertram 01-14-2002 10:21 AM

I've been having a problem with my 500i, it won't idle right. It has 140 miles on it already. It idles no problem when you first start it up. When I drive and make the motor work hard and have it revved up for about 1 min or so it won't idle at all. My Suzuki Quadrunner never had a problem like this, so its not a motor problem, it must be a setup problem. Could it be the jetting on the carb? I live in Canada and it came from the states, maybe the alltitude is that much different from where it was manufactured? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I didn't look that hard but where is the spark plug on these guys? I want to make sure the plug is not bad. Thanks for the help.

BJBlomert 01-14-2002 10:45 AM

Brent,
I live in Canada too, but no idle problems with my new 400i. Must be something specific to your machine. Take it back to the dealer.

bbertram 01-14-2002 10:48 AM

My dealer is like 10 hours away. I can't just go see him. I might be going down south this month or next month. If its not cleared up by then, I will take it to him. Keep the suggestions rolling people. Thanks.

NewCatMan 01-14-2002 07:25 PM

I have an Automatic 500 with 125 miles on it and when I first start out and work it, it too will not idle. Then it's fine for the rest of the ride. I think it's still cold. When I ride in the snow it really hates it. I think the air box is cold and the engine is still cold and it's leaning out on idle. You can pickup the idle with the knob off the carb visible by removing the right side cover. I left mine alone I would'nt bother the dealer he will just step up the idle.

bbertram 01-15-2002 09:37 AM

I did step up the idle but it makes no difference. It won't idle at any setting, its not an idle speed problem but a idle problem.

Bigdcred 01-15-2002 07:18 PM

are you taking the choke off after it warms up,

when it is running rough put your choke on slowly and see if it helps if it dose your running to lean and need a bigger jet.

if that don't work take your air cleaner off then try letting idle if it helps your are running to rich and need a smaller jet.

I run a 142.5 but I ride 6.000 to 12000 ft. 145 jet is what most people run up to 6.000 ft.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] don't give up, when you do get it set right you will love it. I have 5.500mil on my 500 and it has more power now then when it was new, rides better to.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

bbertram 01-16-2002 09:30 AM

I'm taking the choke off, yes. Thats another think about these quads, the choke is really weird. You apply the choke all the way down for about 5 seconds when you first start it and then turn it off after that and the machine idles like a champ. My other quads all made the motor run faster when the choke was applied, not the cat though. Its like the choke is on or off, nothing is happening in between at all. Is that normal? Maybe my choke is screwed up on my cat?

I'll try applying the choke when it is acting up and if that does not work then I will try the air filter. Thanks for the help. Keep the suggestions rolling.

ethernut 01-16-2002 01:42 PM

My 02 375 does idle faster when the choke is applied. When the engine gets up to operating temperature, and I leave the choke on, it won't idle at all. It sort sounds like your choke is stuck on or partially on based on the information you've given...

Check it out..

I have a service manual at home. I'll see what it says and get back to you..

EtherNut

Joehunter 01-16-2002 06:42 PM

I asked my dealer about a service manual and he told me they come on disk and are about $300 cdn. i.e. $200 US and cover all models. Is this true or can I buy one just for my 500i?

mudcat47537 01-16-2002 09:37 PM

I bought the manual about a month ago from my dealer. It is 8.5"x11" by about 1.5" thick, regular AC servicemanual for all 2002 models. It has a p/n 2256-469 & I think it was about $45. They may have them on cd-rom, I don't know. That price seems a little steep to me though.

I also have a AC manual for the 98 454 and 500 only, If some one needs this I would sell it.