Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC in ATV MAG's Shootout.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 11:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chainman,If you've decided against the Cat's because you don't have a dealer close enough to you to service you I could understand your decision. But if you do not want a Cat because of what a dealer that does'nt have any in stock say's or a magazine article's reveiw I would encourage you to talk to someone who owns one or another dealer that actually sells a descent amount of them has to say about them. The biggest factor will be how and what you'll be using the ATV for and your riding style.I did at least 4 months of research on all the brands and rode as many differant brands and size machine's as I could. I was looking for a very strong,reliable and quality built machine.I also walked past the salesman and talked to the mechanics themselves and asked them what machines are coming in the most and why.I am not a die hard Arctic Cat loyal person. Heck, when I just went from my 2000 AC 300 4x4 to the 02 500i auto I looked at all my options again not quite to the same extent as in 2000 but hey when your gonna shell out $6,500 bucks you owe it to yourself just so you do'nt think later on "I should of looked at...".
I'm not trying to tell you what you should buy. I'm just saying do'nt base your decision on a magazine article. They are all good machines as far as I'm concerned ride them all, talk to the people who own them and buy the one that feels most comfortable to you.

Old 02-08-2002, 02:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm with MudCat. I get sick of those magazines doing a damn sport quad shootout with 4x4's each and every time. I haven't seen this shootout yet, but I will definitely get that magazine. Dammit!!!! Do you guys not get tired of seeing the AC's getting downplayed all the time. Not by forum guys, but by magazines. Always getting labelled as farm quads because they aren't setup to run motocross. Thats stupid. I find the AC's as excellent technical trail quads. Show me something that is more stable in uneven terrain and off cambers. I dare you. I guess if I was a sport quad guy I wouldn't like them, but I do like them. I had one 3 years, and bought it in 1998 when most folks were scared of them cause they were new and the old 97 Bearcat was such a problematic flop. The only trouble I had was a rear driveshaft bearing go out because I mudded with it, and a front cv mess up probably because of the lift kit. Hell, the dealer even replaced that for free with some spare parts from a 300.

I can tell you this though. The AC had sured up last place before the thing started. I guarantee the results would be similar if they never even rode the quads. They do not give Arctic Cat any credit. They will credit Suzuki before them, and I have yet to see how Suzuki is even as good. Look at this. I don't even own an AC anymore, and I'm still pissed off. I've watched their quads come in last in every shootout in the past 4 years. Its a conspiracy!!!!

On top of that, ever notice that anytime a new model AC came out and a magazine had a "first ride" about it. The AC was never on the cover. Always a picture of some old quad like a 450 Foreman or even a little kids quad. I like yamaha too, but hell how many times can you keep putting a Raptor on the cover of a magazine? Its like Jordan being on the cover of sports illustrated when some team has just won the Super Bowl or something. (don't know if that happened this year, but it has happened in the past)

Old 02-08-2002, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

Andy, I build computer networks for a living. I remember back when I used to read Computer Shopper from cover to cover. Every computer review I would read seemed to have a winner that I wouldn't have picked. It was then I noticed that the winner usually had multiple color, fold-out, pop-up, fall out, 5 page ads in their magazine that month. It was at that moment I realized why the winners were who they were. I think the same principle applies to ALL mags even ATV mags. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Why bite the hand that feeds you? Look at all of the people that posted that they aren't going to get the Arctic Cat because of the bad press. You don't think anyone would have a reason to push an agenda in this industry would you? (yeah, I know it;s a rhetorical question) The agenda is sales and it's a B!TC# of a game. Any consumer that chooses not to research their purchase decision fully, but would rather have their opinion swayed by a magazine, and not going out to test it for themselves (which happens to be most consumers), is the exact person that the magazines target. I mean give me a break 14 horse power? whatever!

Heck, you never know, Arctic Cat may have told the magazines to go suck an egg at one time or another. Which may be a possibility.

Another thing I might add is the human nature factor. If one were to poll the actual reviewer, one might find that the ATV he/she owns, may be the same brand as one of the top winners in the shootout. This BEST ATV thing has a bunch of religious zealots in it. I think that manifests itself from time to time as well...

2 more cents for the EtherNut

EtherNut

Old 02-08-2002, 05:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Good point.

I saw a 500i for the first time to day, and that thing is awesome. More clearance I think with stock tires than my 660 has with 27" Claws. Seriously too. Get this, the dealer wanted like $7300 for it! Had a big tag on it that said sale!!! If thats a sale, I'd hate to see it on a regular day. This is the same dealer that tried to sell me a 99 model 500 for $6850 the week before I got one for $5550. How do they ever sell anything?

Old 02-08-2002, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

It seems that in every ATV shootout there are things that sound like they could be true, and there are things like the AC's 14 horspower that make you want to write to the magazine and tell them how stupid they are for thinking we're dumb enough to believe that kind of B.S.! I've had my Cat since last November and i love it. I can truthfully say that i wouldn't trade it for any other 500cc quad. It's designed almost perfectly for my type of riding; the low gearing and all the torque is ausome for climbing, mudding, or burnin' through the woods on logging roads. I guess i just want every body to know that there is one more satisfied Arctic Cat owner on here!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2002, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

I finished reading the so called ATV Magazine "Biggest Baddest Big-Bore Shootout Ever!" First off I found this was the thinnest ATV magazine on rack so the "World's Largest All-Terrain Vehicle Mag." must be desperate for advertisers. There are so many contradictions in the analysis of the quad it leads me to believe these guys (and girl) don't know yet what constitutes a good ATV.

The dyno test what a sham. Where are the torque figures, where are the charts? At what RPM is the power made? If they couldn't dyno the Honda because of the all-wheel drive how did they dyno the Bombadier Quest which is also full time all-wheel?

On page six, in an article "Ask And You'll Recieve" they claim to be campaigning a wish list. Arctic Cat met most of these wishes and ATV mag. failed to mention them in the "shoot-out".

After subscribing to three motorcycle mags a month for over 20 years I know what a "Shootout" is. This was nothing more than a bunch of guys (and a girl) out for a ride on brand new quads. (I doubt the Cat was broken in. It has trouble idling, the engine is so tight new!) Driving over cinder block to measure ground clearance....come on. How professional is this?

This is the same magazine who gives a 2002 Product Innovation Award
to a trail! Don't they know the difference? Could'nt they come-up with a "ATV Nature Award"? Most of the magazine is about innovative ATV products. What an insult to the product advertisers. Again, they don't know what "good" is!

The only thing I liked about the article was the pictures. The Cat, once again, appeared in many of the pictures. If any reason to buy this magazine it's for the picture of your favorite quad and nothing else.

Yes, this is America..."You can fool some of the people some of the time....."

Old 02-09-2002, 08:47 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

"Leave your cat on the farm and enjoy its plush ride."

Get your facts straight ATV Magazine, and remove the corporate hand from your @$$! Is there anyone publishing a truly impartial magazine? The March 2002 issue is the last issue I'll ever purchase. On top of that I refuse to purchase anymore ATV Action, or Dirt Wheels. Until, I see a can in how things are done regarding shootouts and reviews my money will not help promote advertisements disguised as an informative article. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Ride Cat and be free of all the shootout bullsh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-10-2002, 12:08 PM
Range Rover

Hello everyone, I e-mailed ATV magazines editor. ghansen@affinitygroup.com I sent him the link to this thread. I invited him to visit and also asked him if he could join in on it. Lets hope he does! How 'bout it Mr.Hansen?

Old 02-10-2002, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

You's don't get it, the IRS sucks power major time, 14 RW HP is most likely CORRECT. The inherantly large driveline angles on the I models isn't gonna help a darn thing on any type of performance except ground clearance. AC's choice to leave the sway bar off as they so proudly state in the "I" dealer films, is a major suck factor for any type of handling or side hill situation. These quads are litterally crawler, mudder and workers(and for work the ACT was better)-NOTHING ELSE. I don't know about you but the VAST majority of folks when polled want a quad for work and play, mudding/crawling doesn't fit eveyones definitions of play.

Old 02-10-2002, 02:54 PM
Range Rover

Elrancho, Some of what you are saying makes sense, But have you rode a "i" model on a "side hill situation" the handling on my 500i is outstanding. I've rode alot of my freinds utility ATV's and I chose the the Cat for its handling characteristic's (along with a list of other plus's) I've also read in these forums where some guys have removed the sway bar from there grizzly 660's with no noticable differance in the handling. To me muddin and crawling is part of playing. I like my WORK quad! It sure feels like more than 14hp. Just my 2 cent's

Quick Reply: AC in ATV MAG's Shootout.