Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Where to find a deal on a Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 09:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of my friends and hunting buddies have Cats and they are very happy with them. I looked at the 375 and the 400i, but I have to get low payments in order to get one, it seems as if everyone except for A.C. is offering some low payment plan! Does anybody know if A.C. is planning a low payment promo, or are they doing it now? Any help is appreciated. I live in North Georgia, but don't mind a drive for a great deal.

Old 02-26-2002, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

It seems like just recently I have seen ads for $69 down and $69 a month on Cats. I know it's a factory authorized deal, but I think that lowball payment is for the 2WD 250. They say they have other great deals going on so go check it out.

Old 02-26-2002, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer

Check out Kirks Cycle in Dalton,Ga.She has good prices on Cats.

Old 02-27-2002, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer

I know where a 98 500act is for $3500 with low miles. Its at a pawn shop in Owensboro ky. It runs good, but i dont know about the running gear, i didnt get to ride it around.

Old 02-27-2002, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Tell you what I did, I think I posted this once before somewhere here.. It may help you, it may not depending on your financial situation.

I bought my 375 under Arctic Cat's financing plan. Well, AC's plan has a HORIFFIC 13.9% APR. There was no way I was going to leave it there.. So before I bought the 'Cat, I call the two companies that I have Credit Cards (both had 0 balance) with. One offers me 3.9% for a year for Balance Transfers and one offers me 1.9 for a year for Balance Transfers. So what did I do? When AC sent me my first months bill for my 'Cat I transferred my balance from AC to my Card that has 1.9% for a year. What happens after a year is up? Well, about 45 days before your interest rate on the card goes up to the normal rate (which happens to be 13.9% fixed on that particualr card), I apply for another card. You can always find a card that will offer you 0%-3.9% for 6 months or so.. so you apply for and get that card, transfer your balance on your existing card to the new one and continue paying on it at a low interest rate. When that 6 months is up, if you haven't paid the bike off yet you find another card and do the same thing. Once you're done with the credit card, CANCEL IT!!!!

See most people think of credit cards as evil, I don't. Credit Cards are nothing more than a loan, just like you get from a financial institution. Use them that way. Heck, use them against one another. THE KEY IS TO PAY THEM OFF. Use the low interest to your advantage to pay more on the principal than you could if you had a conventional loan. If you have a conventional loan, the finanacial institiution gets their high interest first and your principal at the end of the loan cycle.

I paid off my last vehicle using credit cards' low APR offers. Once my Auto balance got down to about $5000 I transferrd my existing car balance at 8.9% to a credit card that gave me 1.9% for a year. Well I wasn't able to get the 5000 paid off that year, it took me another six months and in that last 6 months I transferrd my balance to a 0% for 6 months deal and paid off the car. You wouldn't believe how your payment will melt if you get rid of that high APR. It's amazing!

Maybe this is atleast food for thought. I do understand that this isn't for everyone...

Just for reference and clarification, my credit card currently carries a balance of $5149 which ONLY the remaining balance on the Arctic Cat 375. My credit card company requires a minimum payment of $108 a month. I pay much more than this because I want to pay my bike off as quickly as possible. But, for someone to make the minimum for a year $108x12 Months would still be more that 1200 bucks that year that you've paid on the principle then switch to another low interest offer so you don't get burned by the 13.9% Fixed APR. Using this method you can basically string it out however you like if you're in a tight spot.

Another trick to remember, if you're using a credit card in the manner that I have described. Make sure it has a zero balance when you start and for heavens sake, DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ELSE ON IT during the time you're trying to pay off your Atv, Car, Boat whatever. The credit card companies will stick it to you in interest as they will change your effecitve interest rate to a higher rate. It's not too complicated, heck cut up the card you're using for this purpose so it can't be used and that'll keep you locked into the low rate.

Freaky huh? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Guess I'll shut up now! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

EtherNut

Old 02-28-2002, 08:50 AM
Trailblazer

Ethernut, Thanks for the info. I am looking at prcing options on the AC's, but haven't been able to get payments low enough yet. I am undecided about which ATV to purchase. Some of my friends have 250, 400, and one has a 300, and they love them. I looked at the 375, how doe sthe auto work?
ScottOne

Old 02-28-2002, 09:01 AM
Trailblazer

ScottOne,

The only thing I would caution about Ethernet's payment method is this...

It can damage your credit rating. Even if you pay off the cards faithfully, never miss a payment, and do everything right, simply having so many cards on your credit report can look bad. Remember, any card that you cancel or don't use anymore will still be listed on the report.

Will this effect most people? Probably not. But if you plan to buy a house or some other huge purchase (even bigger than a car) like a home equity loan for home improvements, having that many cards on your report can be damaging. The bank will really wonder why you had so many. It works the same was as if you have many credit checks on your credit report in a short period of time. Even though they are just checks, the bank will wonder what you were doing having so many companies check your credit.

That's why you should never let a car dealership check your rating while your out on the test-drive. Too many checks will lower your credit rating.

Well, that was long winded enough. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your purchase.

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2002, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

jburglund

I have already owned 3 cars and a house in my life time and I'm 26. I sold the house and am looking to buy another. I had my credit checked right before I bought the atv on the 1.9% deal and was told that my credit was uncommonly good for a 26 year old.

I have actually spoken to bank loan officers in length about this..

I does not damage your credit rating at all. Actually it's just the opposite..
If you close a loan it's just about the same as canceling a credit card except that a credit card is considered a revolving account. Closing a loan on good standing is a good thing. And so is a good credit rating. Any financial institution that looks at your credit report can tell if the credit card or loan closed in good standing..

Consider this.

Scenario 1

If a bank looks on your credit record and see two lines of credit in the last 5 years, say a car and a credit card and both were closed in good standing. This is a good thing and you have a decent credit rating.

Scenario 2

If a bank looks on your credit record and sees 20 lines of credit in the last 5 years, car, house, 10 credit cards, best buy card, jc penney card, sears card, ..... some canceled and some still active, and they are ALL in good standing.. this tells the bank much more about you than the guy in scenario 1. It also tells them that you can manage your money and will make the payments and you are good risk for a loan.

I once went to cancel one of my credit cards and the credit card company told me that I would damage my rating.. intitally, this scared me so I called my loan officer at the bank. She said that was ludicrous and the only reason the lady at the credit card company told my that was to coax me to keep the card. This made sense to me.. so I canceled it.

Think about it.. how can paying off a loan in good standing and closing it HURT you? IT CANT.. That's malarchy credit institutions use to keep you in bed with them...

Folks don't get the wrong impression of me.. I have 2 debts to my name. My car and my ATV. I currently have 2 credit cards one has my ATV on it (at 1.9% for 12 months) for the time being and one is my Shell gas card that I pay off monthly and I get 5% rebates on all my shell gas.

Make the system work FOR you. Creditors Love to make you eat high interest.

jburglund, on the credit check issue, I called my loan officer about that because I was curious about your claims. You are correct. However, when a financial institution is deciding wether to lend you money they score you based on your credit report. Some of points weigh more than others and it turns out that many credit checks on your report in a six months time is weighted very low. Credit checks however, do not damage your report. I asked what she considerd to be a lot of credit checks in a six month period and she responded that six checks in six months were considered higher than normal.

Food for thought - This is where I get off the bus! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

EtherNut

Old 02-28-2002, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

ScottOne, I love the auto! At first I didn't think I wanted the auto and wanted a manual instead. I guess I was afraid the auto wouldn't hold up. After talking to a few of the guys on this forum that push their autos harder than I would, I decided that it was right for me. I like not having to shift, It's easy for my friends and family to drive.. I tell them, "you have one brake handle and one gas lever". They kinda relax when I tell them that. I also ride my son from time to time. I really enjoy not having to shift when he is on as well.

For the money, the 300 is a great deal! If the 375 hadn't existed I probably would have bought the 300. But for 500 bucks more I got the 375. I'm thrilled with it!

Are you planning on getting a 4 wheel drive or a 2 wheel? If you can swing it, get the 4 wheel.. there's many situations where you wouldn't believe how much it helps to kick that fron differential in when you need it!

Good luck to you!

EtherNut