Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

400i tires and power.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 05:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 400i 4x4 and have been realtively dissapointed so far. I have had it to the dealer to have a problem with the steering fixed, still no word from AC. The problem is that the bike steers too far to the left and the rim actualy touches the lower A arm. It is damaging the A arm and so far AC has not even called the dealer back... I also feel like the bike is WAY under powered/geared wrong. I tried to install a set of 26" 589's and the thing would not turn them over in the deep mud... not even in low range. 25" 589's work much better, but I ride with a buddy that has a big bear and he is running 26" gators and has noticed very little power loss. I was really hopeful and initially liked the machine, but the more I rode it, the more I dislike it... sorry to all of you hard core cat lovers... just my opinion.

Old 03-09-2002, 05:52 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

Hate to hear you're having such trouble. Has the dealer offer to exchange the 400i towards another Cat? You might have a lemon, even though the engine is only 371cc it still should turn 26" 589s. After riding a 400i I found that the 375 feels more powerful although it could have been due to the auto tranny. Maybe taking a little time to contact Cat directly would be a good approach. Hope things work out, good luck.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-09-2002, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

I rode with a 02 400 act today he is running 27" 589s (my old ones). He had no problem turning them over, he was running in 1st gear high range in the deeper holes. I never saw him power out all day even on the hills. I know of a few other 400s that are running 27" & 26" tires with out any problems. How many miles do you have on it? They run a lot better after they get a few hundred miles. Have you had the valves adjusted?

Old 03-09-2002, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry to hear 'bout your troubles...If it's the rim hitting the A-Arm, you're in big trouble (I assume it's the tire)...Either way, that's no good-have the dealer fix it right away...Possible reasons: 1:Bad wheel; 2:frame bent; 3:Incorrect steering setup...Have you 'hit' anything during your riding? How many miles on the ATV? Have you changed plugs or anything like that? Check the steering rods, make sure the 'jam' nuts are tight, and correctly adjusted...As for the power (or lack of) I would think that the 400 motor should have enuff snot to do anything you wanted... Definitely something wrong there...Hope it all works out...If not, trade it in for a 500i auto!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2002, 01:43 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 02 400 act and i have 27 inch dirt devil x/t's on mine.

Deeper thicker mud i go in first gear high range, sometimes in second gear if i have a small run at the hole. Hill climbing i like 2nd gear unless its really steep then i go to first gear. It seems like everytime i get on my bike it runs better, I guess the engines just loosening up. My bike pulls the 27's pretty good.

You might want to check the front end alignment, and make sure you dont have something bent on your chassis. I would definetly talk to the mechanic about it, and artic cat also.

Old 03-10-2002, 09:18 AM
Trailblazer

The bike has about 160 miles on it so far... and it does seem to have more power than when it was new. The bike has already been in for it's "first" service, (adjusted valves, ect...) It really is the rim that hits the lower A-arm, not the tire, and it did it from the first day that I rode it. I have not hit anything solid enough to bend anything that i am aware of. The front end steering rods are all tight. The dealer suspected that the toe in could be wrong, but he is still waiting for AC to call back. I will say, that the dealer is going to replace the lower a-arm under warranty, and they were good about swapping out the tires. I think that I am going to try and contact AC via snail mail about the bike. Not sure it will help.

Ooh, has anybody else had all of the paint on the inside of the back rims worn off yet(brake side only)?

Have any of you experienced the brakes fading or completely going out after a mud hole or water crossing? I dont mean that they don't slow you down well, I mean the lever can be pulled all the way to the bars with no force used at all.

Have any of you broke off the brake locking lever? I have broke 2 so far.

In hind sight, I really should have bought at least the 500I, or possibly the 700 polaris, but I didn't want to have the worry about water crossings and the belt and I heard that the 500i manual was kinda rare. Since I bought the machine however, I have seen some other bikes with belts, and most have no problems.

Old 03-10-2002, 03:45 PM
Range Rover

HEY DUDE, I have one to, and you sound just like me , my rims are hitting all way round, I got mine stuck and the only way i could spin the tires was cluching with the foot shifter , very disappointing , where is the power my 01 400 had ,I called ac talked with a guy named gred harris head engneer , said frist he had heared of it , mine has a wear mark all the way around the inside right where the shock mount is , they anit called my dealer either, I think the rims are flexing I may be wrong let me know what you hear chunky boy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 03-10-2002, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear about the power loss and all those troubles. As for the brakes fading that much out of mud holes.. that ain't right at all. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I would be inclined to say you may have a lemon.

Old 03-10-2002, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Have you or your dealer done the required service on the master cylinder cap. You need to drill a .004 hole in the top. This will stop your brake problems.

Old 03-10-2002, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer

Don't think so, I will call them ASAP about it. Have been wondering if I needed to have it done...is that just a hole in the cap anywhere? Is that something that I can do or should I have the dealer do it?

Quick Reply: 400i tires and power.