Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Rear End Needs a lift! or Rear End Needs New Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Needs a lift! or Rear End Needs New Springs

My buddy rides 2up on this 99 AC500 and could use some additional spring in the rear. Any known solutions?

Old 12-01-2002, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

I know ridin 2up isn't a recomended practice but...I will tell you that a buddy of mine fashioned a spring lift for his 99 AC 300. He used the proper diameter galvanized fence post and cut into 4 (I think he used 1 inch) pieces. He then disassembled the springs and added the spacers, compressed the springs, assembed and presto he had a 1 inch lift and a stiffer ride.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

He has a couple thousand miles on his machine and no problems with the suspension what so ever.

Old 12-02-2002, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer

There are 2 ways to do this.The way I did it when I rode 2 up is --a spring spacer,,the shocks will come apart very easy.The other way is to get the front springs from AC --they are much heaver.If you go with the spacer(next to no cost)I would not go over 1/2 inch ,,that it from my experance with that mod.Hope this will help.

Old 12-19-2002, 06:05 AM
Trailblazer

how about this i got a suspension lift i bought for my 00 400 took it out when i sold it? lifts front and rear 2 inches. ride and handleing stay the same i paid $60.00 make me an offer i only had it in for about 50 miles. you can just put in the rear and that should be just what you are looking for.

Old 12-22-2002, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

The cheapest way to go is to take the shock apart and simply flip the Grey PVC spacer (between the shock body and the bottom of the coil spring) with the washer bellow it. This will simply add preload onto the shock giving him alittle lift along with a stiffer spring. The hardest part to this whole procedure is compressing the coil back to get the retainer back on the shock. I've heard of people useing a log spliter to do this, bead breakers, just squeezing them by hand, and even spring compressers (wonder how they came up with that one?). But the thing that has worked for me the best has always been a really heavy trailer with a military style hitch. I simply put a cement block on the ground, place the spring/shock assembaly on the block and lower the hitch onto the top of the assembaly and the it just so happens that the coil is too big to go threw the hitch but the retainer slides right on threw.

I'd recomend trying one of these ways if you have the tools, if not, try something new and let everyone else know how it goes.

Old 12-29-2002, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer

I have seen a kit that attaches an additional shock to the hitch up to the rack. Its made for people who want more rack capacity. I dont know if ure ATV has IRS but if the hitch is attached to the axle then it should work.