Wolverine 450 4x4 cdi box compatability?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine 450 4x4 cdi box compatability?

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE CDI BOX FROM A 350 WOLVERINE IS COMPATABLE WITH THE 450 4X4 ATV? THE ONE FOR THE 450 4X4 IS PART NUMBER 3C2-85540-00-00. THIS IS VERY DIFFICULT TO FIND INEXPENSIVELY ON LINE. THE 5UH-85540-00-00 IS CHEAP ON LINE. I HAVE TESTED ALL OF THE ELECTRONIC PARTS ON THE QUAD THAT I CAN AND EVERYTHING TESTS GOOD. I SHOT A LITTLE STARING FLUID IN THE PLUG HOLE BECAUSE I AM GETTING SPARK AND SHE STILL WONT FIRE. THEREFORE, IT'S NOT A CARB ISSUE. EVERYTHING IN THE BOOK POINTS TO THE CDI. LOOKING AT THE PICS ON LINE, THEY LOOK ALIKE. I DON'T MIND SPENDING $25 -$30 ON SOMETHING THAT IT COULD BE, BUT I DON'T WANT TO SPEND $150 OR MORE FOR SOMETHING IT'S NOT. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.

tHANKS!!

Old 06-22-2019, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

No one ever said owning an atv was cheap! When you start swapping parts and cutting corners your in for trouble over the long haul. Kind of like telling one lie, then another to cover the first, then another etc. Parts swapping tends to cause similiar problems. Do it right the first time or be prepared to keep doing it!

Old 06-22-2019, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

The problem I'm having is she started running a little rough. then we were riding and she was running ok and we shut it off long enough to take a leak. Went to start it and she cranks over fine, but wont start. what is confusing me is I am getting spark at the plug and fuel as well. I tested the primary coil, output coil all of the switches etc... just as the book says. I even shot a little starting fluid in the cylinder, put the plug in and connected and she still won't fire. I don't want to spend $150 - $250 for something that it could be. If the cheaper one($25) or so will start it, I will then get the proper one. I don't mind spending $25 on something that it might be and then following up with the proper one. All of the plugs look the same on the cheaper ones and they look like they will connect. I'm willing to put out the bigger bucks if it is a sure thing. However, you never know with a CDI. Hence the problem. As far as owning an atv not being cheap, that is correct. However, when you are maintaining 8, it gets very pricey very quick. I know don't own what you can't fix. I just want to be sure before I put the money out.

Thanks!

Old 07-03-2019, 03:47 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Fowl1- we answer tech questions each Monday on the ATv Connection homepage. If you can hang in there before making a purchase decision, we'll see what we can dig up over the weekend and post our findings Monday morning.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought one off of Ebay that apparently crosses with the 5UH855400000 for about $22. Plugged it in and she won't even crank over. No biggie on the $22. I spoke to one Yamaha mechanic and he said if you are getting spark, it's not the CDI. I am getting spark. Another Yamaha tech said the compression might be blowing the spark out and said to put a timing light on it to make sure it is getting spark with the plug in I will try that tomorrow. All of the ohm readings of all of the components are within spec. I will try the timing light tomorrow and also try to test the voltage regulator to make sure the spark is hot enough. I tried a little starting fluid in the pug hole, put the plug back in and cranked it over and it didn't even act like it would start. I'm thinking the spark is weak so I'll try these things tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find out, but in the mean time, the proper CDI must be used for the proper bike. I found that one out.