ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Sputtering? whats the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering? whats the cause?

Finally got my trike running strong again..turns out it was some water in the pulse generator box thing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Now, when its at idol it likes to sputter or miss a beat it seems like, its like a rough running engine so to speak. Also say when your going
at a constant speed, it will sputter a little bit, but if you honk on it, it accelerates normally with the full amount of power that it usually has..

What could be causing this thing to sputter like that..iv cleaned the carb, new spark plug, fresh oil....im outta ideas...

Sean

Old 09-29-2004, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

adjust your fuel mixture screw.

Old 09-30-2004, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

K, welli played with that awhile..nothing except a white or brown plug..so i left it...after i was riding for about 30-40 mins...after i let off the gas the trike would pop or make a backfire..w,e u wanna call it..

And also it doesnt wanna idol for a damn...its cranked way up...carb was jus rebuilt...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

It idols great when you first start it from cold, like it should, but after couple seconds it idols near dying point and eventullay itll shut off...after its warm, it will shut off as soon as you let off the throttle, lets say after you come to a stop...this thing is making me realllyy mad...need help..badly

Sean

Old 10-01-2004, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

well that sounds similar to my 200x when the fuel mixture screw fell off. its the first screw thats in the front of the intake of the carb that connects to the cylinder head intake. well check if its there. and clean it out again or clean the cdi pulse unit mabe its a little rusty or dirty of the water.

Old 10-01-2004, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

yeah , i know which your talkin about, i was playing with it all night, alli got was a lean or rich condition, so i got it where i liked it..maybe ill clean the whole carb out again.... air compressor cleaned the whole cdi pulse area out too..i dunno...pisses me off

thx for the help tho

Old 10-01-2004, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

check for any vacuum leaks anywhere near the carb. or mabe remove the whole cdi pulse unit and clean it out with carb cleaner or something. i would do that ill do anything possible to get it running good.

Old 10-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

backfiring when you let off the gas and not wanting to idle sounds kinda like a pilot jet. make sure if you pull the carb back off thats its in good condition.

Trending Topics

Old 10-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Well, i took my carb off today, and guess what...my mixture screw as gone..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

IT was on before, and it was gone...so, now i need to look for one. How did you go about getting one for yours??

Sean

Old 10-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

ahhh... so yea it fell off.. so now its doing what my 200x was doing um.. what i did i first put on a rubber cap for a while and it ran great but if wouldn't idle. it just shut off like 30 sec. after idle. you can go to www.bikebandit.com and get the mixture screw or another rebuild kit. or simply buy another good working carb thats what i did.

Old 10-03-2004, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider

Would it be bad to run the bike with no mixture screw, what would it do to it??

Sean

Quick Reply: Sputtering? whats the cause?