ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   ATC 3-Wheelers (https://atvconnection.com/forums/atc-3-wheelers/)
-   -   250r problems, need help (https://atvconnection.com/forums/atc-3-wheelers/184270-250r-problems-need-help.html)

albayoungster 12-20-2004 11:36 PM

250r problems, need help

i rebuilt a thrashed 250r from the ground up and it was running ok for being from 85, but the carberator was leaking cause the float wouldnt work right so i took it to esr and got a 38mm carb, new jet, full fmf gold series exhause, and an airbox elimanator kit. I put it together and is sounded great, took it to the dirt road behind my house then after one run it just stopped, i tried to kick start it and then there was no compression. I took it home and pulled the head off and inside the piston had a crater blown in the top.

I was going to glamis in a week and needed to get it fix fast, so i took it to esr and had then do a top end rebuild. I took it to glamis and it stopped, but instead of no compression it was seized i took it back to esr when i got it back and they said it blew a hole all the way through the piston. The said it was probably running too lean.

Here is my problem, it will be another 700 dollars to get it running again and they cant garuntee it wont happen again. What is wrong with my three wheeler and what do i need to do to get it running sort of reliable.

KNOWSALOT 12-21-2004 01:03 AM

250r problems, need help

Your entire problem sounds like it is all jetting related. The first melt down and the second one.

What stuns me is that ESR rebuilt your engine without jetting it or at least giving you the recommendations on where to start with the jetting.

As far as reliability is concerned, the R is as reliable as any other engine, but also like any other engine, you are going to have to get your jetting alot closer to what your engine needs...and from the sound of things......you are way off target right now.

jcas 12-21-2004 01:22 AM

250r problems, need help

I have an 83 250r that recently seized up on me. I took it apart and the piston had pretty much exploded. I had the cylinder bored .020 over and picked a wiseco piston and rings. I put it back together and after a few break-in sessions I took it out for 20 minutes and it seized again. Both times the cylinder and piston looked like the mixture was too lean. It ended up being the right side crank seal, behind the flywheel and stator. The motor was sucking in air and was leaning it out big time. The seal is 10 bucks and the flywheel puller is 10 bucks. Also keep an eye on the transmission fluid level. If it's low, it may be that. My 250r has a dg pipe, new reeds, and a uni filter w/o lid. My jetting is stock carb with 140 main, 50 pilot, and needle at the 3rd slot. I run 40 to 1 mix with klotz and br8es plug. Good luck!

87 310R
83 R
81 200

HA2 12-21-2004 07:34 PM

250r problems, need help

are you running the stock cylinder albayoungster?

also, i assume you're running a Keihen 38 Air Styker PWK, right? Should be fine with the standard needle and a 170 main jet.

we need specs on what you were running. what jetting? any other mods?

i run a 170 main in my 38mm on my stock cylinder in glamis and i ride it at glamis all the time. never skipped a beat.

HA2 12-21-2004 07:35 PM

250r problems, need help

and why the hell is it going to be 700 dollars?

albayoungster 12-22-2004 12:41 PM

250r problems, need help

i have the mods listed above, i have the stock cylinder but it has been bored out one level during the top end rebuild. Esr did the jetting on the carb knowing what i was putting on the threewheeler and they put in a 165 main jet. Is that way to low.

HA2 12-22-2004 12:55 PM

250r problems, need help

at glamis i run a 170 and it runs great. my bike has also only been bored over once for a routine rebuild and some mild porting.

i think they just slacked on the jetting. i dont think thats too low, but you should always do a plug chop to make sure. its cheap insurance.

250ex 12-22-2004 05:37 PM

250r problems, need help

Take your engine to a local shop and have a leak down test performed.

albayoungster 12-22-2004 08:11 PM

250r problems, need help

what does that test do and how much would it cost

250ex 12-23-2004 01:30 PM

250r problems, need help

Should just cost 1 hr of labor. They seal off exhaust, intake and pump up some pressure on engine. If you have any leaks this will find them. Leaks will cause you to run lean.