ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Primary stator vs CDI...no spark

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary stator vs CDI...no spark

OK, I think I have my no spark issue isolated down to either the CDI or the primary stator coil. Is there a definitive way to tell which it would be on a non running (due to no spark issue) trike?

1984 200ES Big Red

Old 12-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

If you find out I hope you can tell me.I'm working on a moto4 and thats what I have narrowed mine down to,the stator or cdi.Ive checked the resistence on the stator like everyone says to do.it shows good, but I hope I did it right because them cdi boxes are expensive.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Range Rover

Yeah, sounds like you did exactly as I did. The resistance on my stator tests out good as well, and there really is no way to test a CDI without a special tool from what I've been told/read. I'm hoping to borrow someones CDI to see if I get spark...that may narrow it down for me.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

I've never heard of a tool to check the cdi.man that would be great.do you remember where you heard about it at?

Old 12-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Range Rover

No, all I know is my Honda repair manual says to use: tool # P/N7308-00200000
And the tech from the Honda dealer told me when I took my CDI in to be tested that they don't have the "right tool" to test mine. So I assumed they were talking about this particular tool.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

About the only way to confirm a bad cdi, is to swap in a known good one. Not usually practical.
How was the stator? Rusty? Is the gap adjustable for the stator to pick up? You could try checking for an output voltage on the pick up coil, when the motor is turned over. This would confirm the gap is good, and its not too rusty or resistance isnt too great. Ohming it out, confirms the coil itself as good..but doesnt mean it creates voltage.
Make sure the connector coming from the stator, has good connections. The metal tabs may need cleaning up, if they look corroded or rusty. The voltage signal from the pick up coil isnt real strong, and a bit of resistance will almost kill it out.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

Technically the stator should put out 12volts or more. Attach a voltmeter to the power wires directly from the stator and crank the engine over, you should get a reading.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

i,m confused! it was my understanding that the stator was just a pulse generator. how can it put out 12volts? the only thing i've ever used to test for a pulse was an oscillo-scope (i used to work on tv,s before they became too cheap to repair) i have the 1985 250sx with the firing problem and the only 12volts i can find going to the cdi is coming from alternator. what about the ignition coil, just because it ohm's out, does that mean it's good?

Old 03-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: PlatinumDogg
Technically the stator should put out 12volts or more. Attach a voltmeter to the power wires directly from the stator and crank the engine over, you should get a reading.
Not quite. The stator puts out an a/c voltage, usually around 90 volts. The rectifier, makes that a/c into d/c.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, I stand corrected. Either way though, it should give something.

Quick Reply: Primary stator vs CDI...no spark