ATV Expeditions Are you on a major excursion traveling the World or a Continent. Post your adventures and log your travels here.

Jackman Maine Riders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jackman Maine Riders?

Anyone ride in Jackman?
Hows the trails and any advice? We are going up on the 9th and staying the week

THanks!

Old 07-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Hello, I've been up to Jackman the last two years and will be going up later in July. The trails are mostly open road type trails with some water crossings due to beavers, some technical here and there and if not raining, pretty dusty. You can average about 20 miles an hour on most rides because of the open road areas. Most of New England riding I've found to average about 10 mph because of technical, rocky trails. There aren't many of those that I've found other than a goat trail (2 track) going up Mt. Coburn??? Nasty loose rocky climb that is pretty steep too. It's south of Jackman on the ride down to The Forks. There is an easier, but still kind of slow trail that goes around the mountain.

If you go NEE of Jackman there are two loops. The first loop you encounter has a good flooded section on the lower half of the loop that is pretty deep so be careful if you try that out.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

also info!
What about gas? I noticed there are miles and miles of trails are there stations along the trails somewhere?

Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by fishcop
also info!
What about gas? I noticed there are miles and miles of trails are there stations along the trails somewhere?
There are stations or gas available in Jackman, The Forks, Pittston Farm, Rockwood, Greenville, and at some of the rental/camp areas too. You can plan on about 60 miles between gas stations so most quads can bridge the gap, but I recommend carrying extra just in case you get turned around or miss a trail. If your quad takes 4 gallons, I'd carry another 4 gallons just to be on the safe side. There's some pretty good distances up there.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

If you go into a gas station they usually have a free map of the Jackman area that shows where there are towns. Most of the towns have gas available.

Distances from Jackman on the map I have show: The Forks is 40 miles away, Rockwood is also 40 miles, Bingham is 100 miles (you go through The Forks on the way), Greenville is 100 miles (you go through Rockwood on the way), Canada is 25 miles, Bulldog Camps is 20 miles, and Pittston Farm is 60 miles.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great thanks!! We are very excited to get up there and ride! I think I'm gonna strap 2 extra 2 gal cans on just to be safe and go from there.
I noticed that there is a law against snorkels on an ATV? is that enforced hard? Id hate to take mine off just to have to redo them as soon as I get home.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Snorkels are illegal here. I have encountered wardens on occasion who primarily just were checking to make sure my registration was current. I won't say you can't see a warden, but the chances are slim you will, since I've never spoken to anyone who has been bagged for snorkels I can't say what would happen.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK.. I'm guessing its easy to get a registration up there? Any local store? Is it a sticker or a plate like ours?

Old 07-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Great thanks!! We are very excited to get up there and ride! I think I'm gonna strap 2 extra 2 gal cans on just to be safe and go from there.
I noticed that there is a law against snorkels on an ATV? is that enforced hard? Id hate to take mine off just to have to redo them as soon as I get home.
Not sure on that. I know they frown on people going off trail and screwing up marshes and wetlands.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

OK.. I'm guessing its easy to get a registration up there? Any local store? Is it a sticker or a plate like ours?
It's a sticker. Not sure of where you get them. I always do it online each May. You can order the registration that begins in July. If you order in May it will be good through June of the following year.

Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife - Registration

Quick Reply: Jackman Maine Riders?