ATV Expeditions Are you on a major excursion traveling the World or a Continent. Post your adventures and log your travels here.

ATV Overland Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 11:16 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful . . .

When I was in basic training from December 1979 to February 1980 at Fort Dix, New Jersey we went on a bivouac and slept in pup tents. It got down to 17 below zero that night. I was wearing everything I could and bundled up tight in my mummy bag, and pulled the drawstring tight so I had a small hole to breathe through. I froze my @$$ off anyway. Some other company decided it was too cold and didn't spend the night but we stayed. It was so cold that whenever I almost fell asleep I shivered so hard that it kept me awake all night. Meanwhile the women, who were supposed to be our equals in every way, slept together in a GP Medium tent with a coal-fired stove in each end. I never tent camped anytime there was snow on the ground as a civilian. There have been many times I needed to cover up with an insulated blanket over the top my sleeping bag, but I was warm enough to sleep. Those pictures sure brought back memories.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Moto Psycho

I've looked and looked all over the internet and can't find a blanket like mine. It's insulated like a thin sleeping bag, but since it's a blanket I have a choice of laying on it or covering up with it. It was sold as military surplus but I don't remember where I got it. It's supposed to be a Marine Corps casualty evacuation blanket IIRC. It's woodland camouflage and heavy for a blanket. There's no way to replace it so if anything happens to it I'll have to buy another sleeping bag and try to fit one inside the other.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank, I have never camped below 0, and don't have the desire to. In 2014 when on the Paiute, I learned about comfort ratings on sleeping bags. So the fact that my bag was rated to 30 degrees F really meant that you wouldn't die at 30, but you sure wouldn't be comfortable. I too woke up shivering on the Paiute because we camped above 10,000 ft, and it dipped into the 30's.

Hence the purchase of the Bivy. Survive Outdoors Longer® Escape? Bivvy | S.O.L.® | Survive Outdoors Longer®

My 30 degree kelty inside the bivy, I should be good down to around 20. For me, it was well worth the money.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:29 PM
Moto Psycho

My sleeping bag is comfortable at 50 degrees but sometimes it's in the low 40s or even the 30s when I camp out. That's why I need my blanket. I got a tall & wide bag and there weren't many to choose from, so I got this thin one without enough insulation. I don't do mummy bags. Otherwise that bivvy would be great to have. If it was as tall and wide as my sleeping bag I might get one.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:45 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me, I'm a wimp! I did get my winter camping merit badge in Boy Scouts though while in a bad Iowa snowstorm. I happen to be a vintage Airstream enthusiasts. This trailer may be my "base camp" while on ATV adventures. All I do is turn up the thermostat until I'm nice and warm and comfortable. The trailer is designed for "boondocking", more likely in WalMart parking lots however.

David

Old 04-19-2017, 10:42 PM
Moto Psycho

Trailers are really nice to have. Park it. Turn up the heat. Go for a ride. Come back to a nice warm home away from home.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:48 PM
Back Country Explorer

ATVs and motorcycles are why God invented "toy hauler" trailers. I didn't mean to get us off the thread topic. It's just that I like camping in my old Airstream.

Our ATV adventurists in this thread rough it and overcome obstacles and problems along the way without a camper. The campfire photo they posted is spectacular. We'll see what's instore for Claycope.

David

Old 04-23-2017, 01:54 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by dbj216
The campfire photo they posted is spectacular. We'll see what's instore for Claycope.
Well, here's a glimpse. First video from the trip. You get the feel for what we did though. We have some big trips planned in throughout the summer. Lots more to come.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:32 PM
Back Country Explorer

Excellent video! I want more! This sure looks like an opportunity for a high priced "adventure vacation". Maybe three or four nights in the backcountry with you as the guide.

Why not?

David

Old 04-24-2017, 09:22 AM
Range Rover

David, sounds like a good time. Colorado is on out list. Maybe you could guide us around Colorado!

ATV Overland

Search this Thread