ATV Expeditions Are you on a major excursion traveling the World or a Continent. Post your adventures and log your travels here.

ATV Overland Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Overland Thread

This seems like an appropriate place for our thread. More pics and video links to follow as we count down for our first expedition of the year.

We outfitted our ATV's with Double Take Adventure mirrors.

Double Take Adventure Mirror on Kingquad

Old 04-03-2017, 10:30 PM
Range Rover

Tarp Shelter setups for those rainy days.

We call this the stadium setup.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, that looks like fun. You look much greener than here in Maine. I just got back from a ride, we still have a foot of snow and ice in the woods, nearly froze my butt off, forgot to wear gloves, thought heated grips would be enough, nope.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Range Rover

You guys seem to have a lot of trails in Maine. I watch the Northwoods law saw. Good stuff.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:55 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to ride along too! I can't imagine being able to travel back country on an ATV. Seemingly there are lots of rules and restrictions. And you surely can't trespass on private property. Maybe you can bounce down some gravel roads from one park to the next.

This thread will be interesting.

David

Old 04-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Trailblazer

Love the thought of a several day overland trip on the wheelers! I'm and experienced camper as it is, I imagine an overland trip on the bikes would be wicked fun!!

Can't wait to follow along with this thread!

Old 04-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last summer 2 friends and I went on an overnight trip for 2 nights. We strapped our tents and sleeping bags to the racks and 2 of us took air mattresses. The other guy slept on the ground for 2 nights. We had extra gas, some Sterno and cans of food, along with canned fruit and some snacks like chips. I took my GPS and a map of one of the trails we rode on (Rose City Trail). DNR - ORV/ATV Trail Maps We really didn't take much else that we didn't have with us every ride.

The first day we rode to a state forest campground at the end of the trail that didn't allow ATVs to drive in so we had to go elsewhere. On this website it says it's an ORV trail head at the campground but the signs when you pull up say no ATVs Ambrose Lake State Forest Campground | Michigan We found a deer camp that someone had set up in the middle of the woods that had a table, a fire ring, and an outhouse.

We made a campfire and heated up some cans of chili-mac and whatnot with the Sterno. We had to balance the cans on a small grate from inside the bottom of a charcoal grill on top of some cans with the Sterno underneath. Every time we stirred the food it felt like everything would come crashing down. I should have taken my 2 pocket sized camping stoves but when I packed for the trip up north I didn't know we would be going on an overnight trip. It's not exactly legal to camp in the woods like we did but if other people can set up a deer camp and go there year after year we weren't going to worry about it. I saved the coordinates on my GPS so we can find it again if we go on another overnighter in that area.

The second night we stayed at a national forest campground much closer to "home". https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...V%20Campground We could have just ridden back that day but decided to camp out and have short trip the next day. I didn't swim in the lake but the other 2 guys did. They said it really felt good after so many miles of riding dusty trails. I took a baby wipe bath instead. We found some fire wood already cut up and made another campfire. The next day we hit The Meadows Trail and went back to my friends cabin and used his outdoor heated shower after we unpacked. It was a nice trip. Nobody broke down or ran out of gas or anything like that.

P.S. One of my friends took some pics but I didn't even take my camera so I don't have any pics to share with you.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:56 PM
Range Rover

I'm glad you guys are interested in camping with the ATV's. My obsession for backcountry trips with the ATV started in 2014 when we took our first trip to the Paiute.

This got me to thinking about the public lands here in Washington, Idaho, Oregon, etc. Out here, there are ample opportunities to disperse camp. So it's our goal to explore these areas and experience the backcountry, on the ATV's where legal to do so. A few of us are up in Washington, and a couple down in Texas, where it is more challenging due to the lack of public lands. Stay tuned!

Old 04-16-2017, 05:45 PM
Range Rover

Our first trip of the year in the books. We went to central Washington to test out some new Bivy bags we picked up, the SOL Escape Bivy. Temperature dipped down to 25 overnight, but I stayed warm in my 30 degree bag thanks to the SOL Escape Bivy. Here are a few photos from the trip. Video to follow.

Tarp shelter setups

Escape SOL Bivy

Old 04-16-2017, 08:17 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spectacular photos! It looks like Colorado a little bit. I'm glad you weren't cold because it looks cold, especially getting out of the bag in the morning. There are no heated floors in your bathroom.

David