ATV Expeditions Are you on a major excursion traveling the World or a Continent. Post your adventures and log your travels here.

Our 2018 Utah ATV trip.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 08:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pics. Thanks for posting.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great Pics Moose!
The Paiute trail looks to be more my cup of tea. That is some really beautiful country there, Yes we know of the non-melting snow scenario. If you guys drive that far to ride you should turn that pickup a little to the right while heading west and Check out Some of our Montana trails would love to show you guys around and have some fellowship. We keep exploring and finding new trails each year, just when we think we can't find one to top one of our favorites, we go around a corner and discover another one. Thank you for posting those pics, I love to see what else is out there.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Freedomflyer
Great Pics Moose!
The Paiute trail looks to be more my cup of tea. That is some really beautiful country there, Yes we know of the non-melting snow scenario. If you guys drive that far to ride you should turn that pickup a little to the right while heading west and Check out Some of our Montana trails would love to show you guys around and have some fellowship. We keep exploring and finding new trails each year, just when we think we can't find one to top one of our favorites, we go around a corner and discover another one. Thank you for posting those pics, I love to see what else is out there.
Thanks for the invite. I have to save up money before I go so it would be a couple years. Specta made the mistake of inviting us out. We have thoroughly enjoyed being out West. Thinking that Moab might be a possibility next time. Not sure how things will be going but a couple years is the time frame for us.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:48 PM
Range Rover

We haven't been to Moab, it would be about a 10 hr drive for us to get there, My wife is wanting to explore some other trails within our state before heading out of state. We can drive 7-8 hrs to some other trails and not even leave Montana, so we may be doing that first. Moab does look intriguing though, have watched a lot of youtube videos, some of it looks pretty technical and dangerous. Have watched a lot of ATV's cartwheeling down some rocky climbs.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

We haven't been to Moab, it would be about a 10 hr drive for us to get there, My wife is wanting to explore some other trails within our state before heading out of state. We can drive 7-8 hrs to some other trails and not even leave Montana, so we may be doing that first. Moab does look intriguing though, have watched a lot of youtube videos, some of it looks pretty technical and dangerous. Have watched a lot of ATV's cartwheeling down some rocky climbs.
I know Specta has been there with Doug Meyers of ATVTV.com fame. From what I've seen you can go from easy road-like trails to trails that leave you questioning your sanity.
Another area is around the Bryce Canyon area. When we went to Lime Kiln, the goal was to get to Casto Canyon which hooks up with Lime Kiln to form a good sized loop. That area was kind of far from the Paiute Trail and the town of Marysvale where we stayed. It was a 165 mile day and we never got on the Casto Canyon trail. From there it isn't too far from the Bryce Canyon area which has quite a few trails right outside of the National Park.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:52 AM
Range Rover

165 miles in 1 day. Wow that's a lot of seat time, is part of that some sort of road riding? Some of the trails we're on might allow us to go an average of 5 - 6 mph with a max of 20 and the 20 mph might be for 1/4 of a mile or so. That must be a different kind of riding than I'm used to or you and your buddies are just an animals! I know my wife would never be able to handle that long of day, Not sure my old bones would either. But some of those areas sure are beautiful and look intriguing to ride. The Fall colors are spectacular looks like you timed it just right. I was harping on my wife to get up into the mountains this fall but she had too many things going on the days I had available so leaves were gone before our snow ride. I guess I could've gone by myself or with a friend but that would've gone over like a lead balloon, she doesn't like to miss out. Wonder why?

Old 11-15-2018, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

165 miles in 1 day. Wow that's a lot of seat time, is part of that some sort of road riding? Some of the trails we're on might allow us to go an average of 5 - 6 mph with a max of 20 and the 20 mph might be for 1/4 of a mile or so. That must be a different kind of riding than I'm used to or you and your buddies are just an animals! I know my wife would never be able to handle that long of day, Not sure my old bones would either. But some of those areas sure are beautiful and look intriguing to ride. The Fall colors are spectacular looks like you timed it just right. I was harping on my wife to get up into the mountains this fall but she had too many things going on the days I had available so leaves were gone before our snow ride. I guess I could've gone by myself or with a friend but that would've gone over like a lead balloon, she doesn't like to miss out. Wonder why?
There was a mix of 5-10 mph slow mode trails and open roads that serve as trails and connectors. The trick I use is simple. Take the time we head out and the time we want to get back and figure out when we have to start heading back. I purposely go slow on the way out so that I know I can make it back fairly easily by adding a few mph on the return leg. That and a good GPS so you don't miss the next turn in the dark have made it work time and again. Loop trips are harder though. On the last 10 miles of the trip it was open roads that let you open it up a bit. Smooth, open, and can see a good distance. We were beat. I only took a short 30 mile or so ride the next day before the rain drove us back. Buddy said his throttle thumb hurt for two weeks. The colors WERE the best we've hit out there ever. It was great. Not sure if that meant we were in the rainy season or not. We pretty much agreed that we'd go a week earlier next time as it was pretty cold a couple of the days. We aren't good at gauging the affects of elevation on the temps.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:46 PM
Range Rover

All I can say is you guys are animals, my throttle thumb would've hurt for 2 weeks too!!!! Nice pics though thank you for sharing.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:50 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

165 miles in 1 day. Wow that's a lot of seat time, is part of that some sort of road riding? Some of the trails we're on might allow us to go an average of 5 - 6 mph with a max of 20 and the 20 mph might be for 1/4 of a mile or so. That must be a different kind of riding than I'm used to or you and your buddies are just an animals! I know my wife would never be able to handle that long of day, Not sure my old bones would either. But some of those areas sure are beautiful and look intriguing to ride. The Fall colors are spectacular looks like you timed it just right. I was harping on my wife to get up into the mountains this fall but she had too many things going on the days I had available so leaves were gone before our snow ride. I guess I could've gone by myself or with a friend but that would've gone over like a lead zeppelin, she doesn't like to miss out. Wonder why?

Old 11-16-2018, 08:51 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Big Frank
LOL

There are times she will tell me "Go, have fun, you really need to get out with your friends" In reality she's saying "Go, but don't enjoy yourself too much, and you really should be going with me instead and should be waiting until I have the opportunity to go along!!" It really is great to be able to go together and share in something that we both enjoy, I have friends whose wives wouldn't even think about going out like we do let alone ride their own machine I think it helped that she grew up around snowmobiles and going out as a family. This activity is much warmer! I do wish that we could've gotten out before all the leaves dropped.

Quick Reply: Our 2018 Utah ATV trip.