South West Montana - Page 2 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATV Expeditions Are you on a major excursion traveling the World or a Continent. Post your adventures and log your travels here.

South West Montana

Old 11-07-2018, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer

This is a great ride and we've taken it several times over the last couple of years will be fun to do a late afternoon ride and have dinner up at the top and ride down after sounset.

At the end of the trail up on top.

We ran into another couple up there in their side by side.

This is a Forest Service cabin that is available for rent, in the winter time you can't even see it, the snow covers it completely. All that is there is a lump in the snow. This summer it was closed because they were doing some major rebuilding and maintenance on it.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:11 AM
Frank Flintstone

Great pictures. I thought it would be a nice place to visit until you said grizzly bear. We only have little black bears here and you can ride thousands of miles over years and years and never see one. My friends saw one crossing a side road a long way off when I was riding with them once, but I don't think I've ever seen a bear. I've seen their pictures on game cams 20 feet from where I set up my tent, but not while I'm there. My snoring scares them off.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

LOL,
Well in the 4 years we've been riding that's the first Grizzly I've seen, my friends are the ones that came face to face with out it. And that probably wouldn't have been a big deal if he would've had his spray and gun, didn't have it that day, bet it will be the last time he goes with out it. Granted, that area is known for Grizzlies we only had one other siting of a bear and that one was a black bear with two cubs, she skedaddled immediately with the cubs scurrying after her. It would be a great place for you to visit if you ever get the chance. We carry Bear Spray and Large caliber handguns, I'd risk the penalties of killing one if I had to. I don't think I've heard of anyone riding an ATV/UTV/SXS getting attacked. The engine noise usually scares the things away, now hunting is another issue and is the main reason I do not Bow hunt, it is that time of year that they are starting to bulk up for hibernation. Some say a rifle shot during hunting season is like a dinner bell, they come for the gut piles. Anyway I feel pretty safe while riding and the protection we carry helps that immensely. And as far as camping goes, the tent doesn't work for us, hard side camper or nothing. June, July, and August are great times to visit if the bear thing bothers a person. I invite anyone that would like to come out, would love to share our trails with you.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Great pictures. Mountain lions and grizzly bears are two animals I'd rather see at a distance.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer

Have never seen any Mountain Lions in all my years of living here, hunting,hiking, or riding, they are very illusive, and I'd rather just not see any bears at any distance. There just aren't any other animals in this area that are able to challenge them. Too scary for me.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Freedomflyer View Post
Have never seen any Mountain Lions in all my years of living here, hunting,hiking, or riding, they are very illusive, and I'd rather just not see any bears at any distance. There just aren't any other animals in this area that are able to challenge them. Too scary for me.
I looked for mountain goats when we were out in Utah. Still haven't seen any. Ran into quite a few that have seen them.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

Have seen a few mountain goats in my life up in Glacier National Park, and a few here and there while out hiking and if that's the case they are usually Waaaaaaay up high. We see tons of Mountain sheep all the time when we are riding and even along some of our highways when driving. You were in Utah? What took you there? Besides the road, You know, Montana is the roughly the same distance as Utah, just farther north, door's open if you ever head this way