ATV Expeditions Are you on a major excursion traveling the World or a Continent. Post your adventures and log your travels here.

South West Montana

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 09:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a great ride and we've taken it several times over the last couple of years will be fun to do a late afternoon ride and have dinner up at the top and ride down after sounset.

At the end of the trail up on top.

We ran into another couple up there in their side by side.

This is a Forest Service cabin that is available for rent, in the winter time you can't even see it, the snow covers it completely. All that is there is a lump in the snow. This summer it was closed because they were doing some major rebuilding and maintenance on it.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:11 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pictures. I thought it would be a nice place to visit until you said grizzly bear. We only have little black bears here and you can ride thousands of miles over years and years and never see one. My friends saw one crossing a side road a long way off when I was riding with them once, but I don't think I've ever seen a bear. I've seen their pictures on game cams 20 feet from where I set up my tent, but not while I'm there. My snoring scares them off.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:51 AM
Range Rover

LOL,
Well in the 4 years we've been riding that's the first Grizzly I've seen, my friends are the ones that came face to face with out it. And that probably wouldn't have been a big deal if he would've had his spray and gun, didn't have it that day, bet it will be the last time he goes with out it. Granted, that area is known for Grizzlies we only had one other siting of a bear and that one was a black bear with two cubs, she skedaddled immediately with the cubs scurrying after her. It would be a great place for you to visit if you ever get the chance. We carry Bear Spray and Large caliber handguns, I'd risk the penalties of killing one if I had to. I don't think I've heard of anyone riding an ATV/UTV/SXS getting attacked. The engine noise usually scares the things away, now hunting is another issue and is the main reason I do not Bow hunt, it is that time of year that they are starting to bulk up for hibernation. Some say a rifle shot during hunting season is like a dinner bell, they come for the gut piles. Anyway I feel pretty safe while riding and the protection we carry helps that immensely. And as far as camping goes, the tent doesn't work for us, hard side camper or nothing. June, July, and August are great times to visit if the bear thing bothers a person. I invite anyone that would like to come out, would love to share our trails with you.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Great pictures. Mountain lions and grizzly bears are two animals I'd rather see at a distance.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:23 PM
Range Rover

Have never seen any Mountain Lions in all my years of living here, hunting,hiking, or riding, they are very illusive, and I'd rather just not see any bears at any distance. There just aren't any other animals in this area that are able to challenge them. Too scary for me.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Freedomflyer
Have never seen any Mountain Lions in all my years of living here, hunting,hiking, or riding, they are very illusive, and I'd rather just not see any bears at any distance. There just aren't any other animals in this area that are able to challenge them. Too scary for me.
I looked for mountain goats when we were out in Utah. Still haven't seen any. Ran into quite a few that have seen them.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Range Rover

Have seen a few mountain goats in my life up in Glacier National Park, and a few here and there while out hiking and if that's the case they are usually Waaaaaaay up high. We see tons of Mountain sheep all the time when we are riding and even along some of our highways when driving. You were in Utah? What took you there? Besides the road, You know, Montana is the roughly the same distance as Utah, just farther north, door's open if you ever head this way

Old 05-07-2019, 10:44 PM
Range Rover
Default Extremely Heavy Heart

It is with an extremely heavy heart that I write this post. This last weekend we received the long awaited dreaded news concerning our dear friend Julie. This last winter has been a hard one for her and her family her cancer has spread more throughout her abdomen and some new tumors have grown around her bowels. These tumors are constricting her bowels and not allowing proper processing and digesting of her food intake. Surgery is NOT an option due to massive scar tissue from previous surgeries and by opening her up will cause further spreading of the cancer. She has been placed on a restricted low fat, soft food diet until the inevitability of total constriction happens, at which point they will only be able to make her comfortable. In essence she will eventually starve to death. We are devastated by this news and are heartbroken not only for her, but her husband and 3 sons, and their families. She told us Sunday at church that she is looking forward to the first ride of the season probably knowing deep down that will never happen since our trails don't open until the middle of June. One of the hardest things for me is she has always teased me about being a big Cry Baby over her diagnosis in September of 2013 and when she informed my wife of this latest news she told her that she wanted me to be one of the Paul Bearers at her funeral. In some way I think that is one of her last teasing digs at me knowing how difficult it will be for me knowing I will probably not be able to keep it together. That's Julie, thinking of me till the end. Here is the Email that she sent out to friends and family.

Dear friends and family,

We have been blessed by your kindness to pray for us and encourage us during these last couple of trying weeks. We are grateful that our load is lighter because you are bearing it with us. Thank you!

The Thursday and Friday procedures to take care of the kidney drain were, indeed, routine. We give thanks for this. It was interesting to find out from several medical staff that metal stents, like the one they removed because it stopped working, actually very rarely fail. Ray wasn't surprised to know that I was a "problem child" in this as well. At any rate, the new set up is working great. The docs left a short tube in my back in case we ever need a back-up plan (pun intended) to drain my kidney.

As for the bowel constriction, we've been in communication with MD Anderson for advice on how to resolve that issue. The Bozeman surgeon said that surgery is the only way to fix the problem. Therefore, we contacted MDA to see if they could do that surgery, and perhaps take care of some tumors along the way. (Honestly, the thought of being opened up again is horrifying!) Last Thursday, MDA let us know that it is "not in my best interest" to have any further abdominal surgery. The cancer is too invasive and my low albumin levels would inhibit tissue repair; opening me up would be a total disaster!

We are grateful the Bozeman surgeon decided not to operate on me when I was in the hospital a couple weeks ago. Resurrection Sunday morning he came into my hospital room to make the decision about surgery. Standing by my bedside he sighed and said, "Not today. I don't know why, but not today." But I knew why: Proverbs 21:1--The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes. We now know that the Lord sovereignly protected my life that day. For that we are grateful.

Since surgery is not an option, I will continue the restricted diet in order to nurse along the bowel constriction. It is just a matter of time before it is fully obstructed. When that happens the medical staff will do their best to keep me comfortable until it is time for me to meet Jesus face to face. As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness (Psalm 17:15). We trust Him to unfold His plan according to His perfect timing (Psalm 139:16).

With this news, our family has shed a lot of tears. Of course, this has been our path since my diagnosis in September 2013, but the current reality is still difficult and sobering.

The Lord was very kind to ship in a special healing balm from Idaho for the weekend. Our son, Landon, his wife, Ashley, and their two little punkins, Fletcher (22 months) and Weston (11 weeks) brought some special cheer and laughter to our home these last few days. It was delightful for all our family to be together. For this we are thankful!

Thank you for your continued prayers for our family that we would endure in faith, fixing our eyes on Jesus--the Author and Finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:1-3)--that we may glorify His great name!

Blessings,

Julie and Ray

Her courage and faith is an inspiration, would appreciate any prayer for this wonderful lady and her family that any of you would care to offer, Thanks, FF

Old 05-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Prayers sent...

Old 05-08-2019, 11:11 PM
Range Rover

Thanks Moose.

Quick Reply: South West Montana