ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   ATV Racing (https://atvconnection.com/forums/atv-racing/)
-   -   z400 front a-arms and shocks? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/atv-racing/125925-z400-front-arms-shocks.html)

Blaster2fast 11-17-2003 03:25 AM

z400 front a-arms and shocks?

what would be the best set up as far as a-arms go and shocks for the best price? do i need longer a-arms? or is the stock alright? i will be getting a new axle to what length do you all suggest? want it set up for MX. also i was planning on getting some RAZR tires. because i race MX but i also want a good trail tire. and i figured 20 inch? what do you guys think about that ? thanks

Blaster2fast 11-17-2003 10:56 PM

anyone please help?!

dsracer666 11-17-2003 11:28 PM

my buddy put tbr +3+1 a arms with elka zero preload shocks in front, on his Z. he sent his rear shock to elka and had it set to zero prelaod, with a lone star (+3)? axle. made a world of difference! he runs mxr's on the track and trails. if racing doesn't come first run the 20in.

Blaster2fast 11-18-2003 02:28 AM

hmmm...id ont know a WHOLE lot about abot mx and stuff should i get my axle the same size as my front a-arms ( +2 a-arms = +2 axle?) because i was kinda thinking of doing this doing burgard a-arms a +2 and then getting an axle plus 4? id unno.. and yes i was plannin on 20 in wheels. what are the prices comparred by works and TCS? i heard there both the best bang for the buck?

Blaster2fast 11-18-2003 02:31 AM

o also how much did that set up cost for your buddy? and can i buy works shocks and stuff to fit + 2 a-arms, if so how do i do it? id like to get triple rate w/ rezzies for the front.. there pretty good priced

dsracer666 11-18-2003 06:08 PM

most axles are ajustable so you can match the front and rear.

my buddy spent close to 2200$ but he got a smokin deal.

when it comes to shocks you get what you pay for, TCS is better but cost more. works should cost you around 500$ for what you want.

for a arms I would recamend TBR or if not get that style of a arm.

jaycekarl10 11-19-2003 01:08 PM

Just go to the TBR Products forum page at the top of the forums.
The reason you want the front and rear width the same is it will change the steering characstaristics if you dont. Front end wider than the rear=the bike will push and not be as responsive in the turns....rear wider= sharper and twichier steering.
My 400ex is being completely redone by them and I run TCS with great results. They prefer both Elka and TCS with the costs being similar.
I've seen the Z400 Dez is talking about. It has quite a few long desert races without any failures so take that for what it's worth.

z838mx 11-22-2003 08:37 PM

What are you saying ds? you think my quad sucked before? lol j/k It did make a wolrd of differance you really need to give my z a good whirl. I really like the setup that I have on there and it made it work alot better. ill see you tomm at the track and remember im chasing you this year im gonna take that #1 spot from you this year lol, or at least try like hell.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

suzukiyamahaman 12-09-2003 11:12 PM

How deep is your pocket . Because you need a 18 inch tire for mx if you want very competive, the lower your center of gravity the easier it will be to corner faster. I have raced a 20 before only because of very bad track cond (deep mud ). I run a houser + 3" 1" forward. Elka long travel shocks,houser long travel swing arm with elka rear shock. And a RPM axle I have bent or broke the rest so save your money and bur and RPM. Best set-up that I have ever had. I race a sukuki z 400.

dsheola 12-21-2003 05:23 PM

If your looking to save a couple bucks shop on Ebay for things like a arms and shocks, but other parts check out www.rockymountainatv.com
+2 up 1 wicked racing chromoly A arms ... $350ish ...ebay
works triple rate front shocks ... $350ish ...ebay
i recomend turf tammers or kenda claws for mx or trail
my friend has razrs and neither of us like them
I had itp holeshot rears and i hated them, usually too much or not enough traction
ITP holeshot fronts
Deffinately a durablue eliminator +2+2 axle or a lonestar axcaliber
probably a lonestar mainly for the fact that its chromoly which is lighter than steel and as strong or stronger

once you get the stance of your quad down, deffinately play around with the sprockets and get a pipe and K&N filter with outerwear

I have a 15 tooth front sprocket and a 39 tooth rear on my 400ex
originally a 15 front 38 rear... down one tooth in the front is equal to up 2 teeth in the rear.
droping the front or raising the rear will give you more bottom end and take a little from your top speed.