ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

PROS: why don't they flip? how do locals race CROSSCOUNTRY?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-1999, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alot of it is rider skill too. Mark Erhart and Tim Farr have been riding for years and years and years, and are GOOD at it...

------------------
Pete Clyne, 1988 TRX250R http://www.parkrapids.net/pete

Old 08-29-1999, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I experimented with technique a lot, to find that if you lean far enough and low enough to the inside the right way, your rear wheels will slide in just about anything.

------------------
- 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html

Old 09-06-1999, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

As far as Pro setups go, they have special Zero Preload shocks that sit very low to the ground. This lowers the center of gravity and prevents tipping. Second, they have very wide machines. A typical stadium racer uses +3 a-arms and a +2 axle. That means that the quad is 6 inches wider in front and 4 inches wider in the back. The combination of proper body position, braking and throttle control all account for the fact that their machines rarely tip over. As for racing MX you definitely need better than stock shocks. Works Performance can build you some custom entry level shocks at a fairly low price. Most people think that the faster they make their quad the better ther will be. This is not really true. You could have the slowest machine at the track, but with correctly setup suspension you would find yourself very competitive. Stay away from spacers as they put more stress on the axle and studs. You probably won't need the extra width right away even for MX racing. As far as XC racing you want a lot of ground clearance to keep from hitting logs and rocks. A low center of gravity is not as important because XC racing is not as fast. If you are having trouble finding places to race where you live go to the AMA website and search for your district. They go by state. The address is www.ama-cycle.org , here you should find all the info you need to get into any type of ATV racing.

Old 09-08-1999, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

I think you should get 2" wider a arms and a 2" wider axle. If I were you I would do that. It shouldn't make a real problem on long trail rides because it is already pretty narrow. As far as brands go for an axle I know durablue are good but expensive. And if you get a new axle you might have to get a new axle carrier but I'm not too sure about that. Also when the pros ride their quads probably have alot more power than yours causing mor wheelspin.