ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

PROS: why don't they flip? how do locals race CROSSCOUNTRY?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-1999, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All right, I got my '96 Mojave from a racer(it was covered in sponsor stickers, and had dirt sprayed all over the fenders), but all he has on it is a Cobra exhaust, a K&N air filter, and the rear tires are aftermarket made by "Dynatex". This has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm asking and I have no clue why I even said it. Let's get on with the show...

OK, I'm watching Mark Ehrhardt take the corners at high speed, and his tires just slide right through...WAIT! All of the racers are slowing down a little for the turns, but basically gunning it at the corners and not even coming up on two wheels. What's going on, they just stay flat and their tires slide right through the corners. What I'm wondering is this...is it something they did to their quads to decrease their chances of rolling? It's gotta be more than just loose ground. Is it a modification that allows these pro quads to do that? It's definately something different than stock, I'd just like to know what it is.

My other question, XC racing appeals to me more than any other type of racing(MX vs. XC = close), and I was wondering how you get into it? It seems like it would be a lot easier to get into MX, but exactly how are you supposed to get into XC? Is it just a long trail with all different types of terrain? Do they even make man-made obstacles(jumps, whoops) besides the actual trail?

Later, a lot more people are wondering the same things, so if you could help out with any of that, it's greatly appreciated!

------------------
- 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html

Old 08-11-1999, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

Wider a-arms and axle will do the trick. I can nail my R through the turns and it rarely ever two-wheels.

http://members.xoom.com/TheATVPit
Tim Thibodaux ('86 TRX250R Bad to the Bone)

Old 08-11-1999, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Are there any top brands for those like there are for exhaust? If so, what? Thanks

------------------
- 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html

Old 08-12-1999, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

With your Mojave, you must realy have a problem with the inside wheels lifting off the ground in the corners. My friend has a Lakota, which has basically the same chassis dimensions as the Mojave, except a 1" longer swingarm. When he would take his quad thru flat turn, bam, the inside wheels would pick right up. He did have Holeshot XCTs, so he had more traction than stock. Definetly go for wider a-arms and axle, and a longer swingarm. All of those things will help handling. Good luck and keep everyone posted.

Old 08-16-1999, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

i have a banshee with blackwater tires and i rarly go up on two wheels when im taking corners. when i go into a corner i give it gas and shift my weight to make the tires slide. also stiffer shocks will help you slide better but they make landing off a jump and the trail a little bumpier.

tony
'97 banshee

Old 08-16-1999, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

So I'm planning on getting a wider axle, wider A-arms, and what about spacers? This guy with a 250r said he put spacers in the rear to widen it out. Could I do this IN PLACE OF the widened axle? Just so you know what I'm saying, would spacers be as effective as a wider axle? Glad to know that stiffer shocks can help. Man, I've only got an 18 inch jump, and I've already heard the wheels hit the front fenders on my Mojave. Does this sound right? It didn't seem possible to me, but it's happened a number of times where the front wheels barely hit first, and I hear a pop, like the wheels coming up and hitting the fenders or it bottoming out or something. This sounds weird, but maybe further travel might help(?). I'm looking at a Tecate-4 all stock in OK candtion for $1500. This a good deal?

------------------

Old 08-18-1999, 04:35 AM
Trailblazer

RidE,
The wider A-arms and axel will certainly help you in the corners, but if you are planning to race cross country the wider track may hinder you in the tight spots such as through the trees. Alot of racers I know use alot of body english and a bias ply tire such as Holeshots, or razers that have good traction but also let them slide around turns and corners using the brakes, clutch, and gas. It takes alot of practice to learn when each should be applied at what time but after you learn how it becomes second nature.
As far as how to get started in racing, ask some of your local cycle shops about racing in your area.

------------------
400EX WOODSRACER

Old 08-18-1999, 07:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dont forget, they are pros, so i would imagine they have flipped plenty!! Practice.

RoostKing

Old 08-26-1999, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

START OFF RACEING AT A LOCAL LEVEL. HARESCRAMBLES ARE WOODS RACES.THEY AREXC EVENTS BUT NOT ON THE SCALE OF A GNCC. THEY LESS EXPENSIVE AND WILL GIVE YOU A FEEL FOR WHAT YOU NEED. ON YOUR BIKE YOU CAN GO WITH PLUS 1 INCH ARMS AND NOT WORRY ABOUT THE WIDHT FOR THE WOODS PLUS A PLUS 1 OR 2 SWING ARM WOULD HELP. CONTACT MICKY DUNLAP AT FOURSTOKETECH FOR MORE ON THE BIKE HE HASE BUILT SOME REALY FAST KAWS.

Old 08-28-1999, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

So, if I get a-arms that are 1-inch wider than my stock ones, and a swing arm that is 1-inch longer, that'll get the job done? What about the axle?

------------------

Quick Reply: PROS: why don't they flip? how do locals race CROSSCOUNTRY?