ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

have any tips for beg. racers

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 03:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have any tips for beg. racers

i just started racing my 400ex. i am 13 year old. i have a pipe, jets, 18in tires,and work shocks do u have any racing types for me.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Keep the rubber side down![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

What kind of racing are you doing?

Old 07-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am mx racing i have only raced three times and on my three race i got 8/17 is that any good all the other people where at least 18 or older

Old 07-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

8/17 is not bad at all, especially for a beginner. Good job!
As far as tips for racing go.... practice, practice, practice. Work on your technique. Speed will come naturally with experience. Another thing you may want to do, is talk to some of your local pro guys the next time your at the races. Most are very approachable and willing to offer tips to help out the new guys. Ask them questions about the technique they use in certain situations and watch them to see how they actually apply that tecnique.

As far as your quad goes, good suspension is a must. In mx, the lower and wider your quad is, the better. If you can afford to get an after market axle and a-arms, do it. Keep in mind that some events require you to be under 50" wide. Bead lock rims are also a good option. They will allow you to run less air pressure in your tires so you won't bounce as much.
Aftermarket handlebars will cut down on vibration and help ease arm pump a bit. A steering stabilizer will cut down on bump steer.

Some other misc. things that help:
Take two asprin (real asprin, not tylenol or other stuff) one hour before your moto. It will help your circulation which will cut down on arm pump and throttle thumb.
Drink plenty of water. If you get dehydrated, your muscles will start to cramp up and you will get stiff. Staying hydrated will also help cut down on fatigue.
Taking vitamins before a race can also help keep your energy level up.
Avoid junk/fast food and foods that are high fat on race day. They will make you feel sluggish and tired.

That's all I can think of for now. If I think of anything else, I'll post it later.
Good luck!

Oh! I almost forgot the most important tip of all.....
HAVE FUN!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

good tips

Old 07-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

One other thing to keep in mind. Race smart. Do not try to ride above and beyond your abilities. I have seen to many guys life flighted off the track because they were trying to ride beyond their skill level.
Don't get me wrong, it's good to push yourself in order to try to better yourself, just be smart about it.

Old 07-17-2004, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

hey raptorchick, what exactly is bumpsteer. i here about it somtimes but im not sure what that is. thanks

Old 07-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Bumpsteer is when you land and compress the suspension,the front tires will increse/desrease toe-in/toe out.The more travel the suspension has the more bumpsteer it will have.This causes you to possibly veer off one way or the other when landing.
A steering stabilizer is a great thing. It's to reduse the shock of the wheels transmitting thru the handlebars, but does nothing for bumpsteer.
As far as the topic: You have a good start. Keep your head on your shoulders.Watch the ones in front of you and learn.
Like the one responce: have fun! There is plenty of time to get serious in the future. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-18-2004, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

gotcha, thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]