ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

48 yo - Starting XC Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 48 yo - Starting XC Racing

Hey everyone, Im a 48 yo guy looking to start xc racing. So here's the deal. Was a childhood dream to race mx and, for the most part, just let them dream die along with many others a long time ago. I did ride some 2 wheel MX when I was younger and only recently started riding quads (about 1 year ago).

Now heres the kicker: I ve been riding a Can Am DS250. Yup its a kids quad. It started out as a oh, lets just get something to leisurely ride on the trails (wife and kiddo ride in a SXS). Well, it didnt take long to start thrashin it on the trails and spending money on it to improve performance. Yeah, Im basically trying to make a hyundai into a race bike. I have been changing things to increase low end torque (dont really care about top speed) by changing the front sprocket, added a Big Gun Exhaust, removed the air injection system, rejetted the carb, have a clutch kit coming from Full Power Performance. I ve also added a tether kill switch, hand guards, wheel spacers to widen stance, steering stabilizer, and a few more non performance items. I was just about to buy some elka shocks when I came out of the daze and was like wtf am I doing! lol. I had the bug bad and was ready to dump thousands into this non race quad. The wife finally said to my why dont you just go get what you want and race! Dont need to tell me twice.

So, Im obviously on the hunt now for a used yfz450 or something similar I can get race ready. There are plenty out there for around 5k. Not ready just yet to spend 9-10k on a race quad. Ill buy something I can tear down and rebuild if needed. But, Im really thinking about just running this DS 250 one time in a GNCC Trail Rider class event. I do have some health issues that make me a little worried about how I'll handle a 2 hr race. I typically ride longer than that out on the trails but not that hard for a sustained 2 hrs. Have some arthritis in my hands and lower back which comes and goes. My first goal is to just race and finish it. Not worried about competing per se. My question to anyone that has read this far.......should I even try to ride the DS in one of these events or just wait til I pick up something more suited to racing? The DS is kind of a dog, but like i said i just want to get the experience of riding in a race and finishing it to see if the bug will stick. Im gonna upgrade regardless if i race or not - just might not be able to do it until the fall and I got a hankering to get into a race.

TLDR: should i compete in a GNCC trail rider class with a tricked out DS250 or wait until I have purchased something else to make my first xc race?

Advice from any XC racers out there would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are planning on getting a better ATV then I would get a better ATV first, and then go racing. You don't need the best ATV money can buy, but you don't want to just be in the way either. I say that based on personal preference after many years of racing cross country, on dirt bikes, ATVs, and UTVs. My first AMA National Hare & Hound Desert Racing trophy, and my last AMA National Hare & Hound Desert Racing trophy are 30 years apart. I'm 58 now, and finally quit at about your age, but did it for quite a while. Have fun, be safe.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the reply @AdrenalineRush . Appreciate the advice. Im just so impatient right now and want to get my feet wet that I hadn't really thought about being a hindrance to others. So, thank you for giving me another perspective. Although, I might still be getting in the way regardless of what machine I'm on . Maybe not. Wont know til I get out there.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Get out and try it. It is ADDICTIVE! I started XC racing on ATVs (utility 4wd class) at the 2004 GNCC race in Texas when I was 34 years old and got hooked!
I have been racing ever since in local XC series in Texas. About 5 years ago, I broke my wrist when I rolled my quad into a barb'd wire fence during a race in North Texas after I passed 2 guys in an open field and was going too fast to make the turn (I was very LUCKY to walk away with only a broken wrist... the big guy upstairs was definitely watching out for me). Anyway, my wife said no more ATV racing, but I could keep the quad for trail riding. I knew it would kill me inside to keep the quad and not race, so I did the only thing I could logically do... sell my quad and buy a SxS. Since then, I have been racing UTVs and love it. I'm 49 now and find that UTV racing is much easier on my old body. However, I still think ATV racing is a little more fun/exciting. In any case, I'm just happy to be racing again and feel like UTV racing is a bit safer (roll cage, seat belts, fire suit, etc.). Plus, my teenage son gets to join me in my UTV races as my co-pilot!

One thing I will say about whatever quad you race with... the first things you want to upgrade is SUSPENSION and TIRES! Motor mods are nice, but won't help as much as a good set of shocks and tires. Like the other reply above, I recommend ditching that quad and getting something more competitive. You will find more racing parts available for other quads too.

Another tip is to practice riding as much as possible to build up your physical endurance. XC racing is an endurance race, not a drag race. You have to learn to pace yourself and not burn out too early in the race. The main thing is to go into the first race or two with the goals of having fun and finishing the race. Don't worry about finishing on a podium until you get a little more experience and know what you are doing. The last thing you want to do is get in over your head, push yourself too much and wreck. You don't want to lose time off work waiting on your broken wrist to heal for several weeks... been there, done that!

Good luck to you!

The following users liked this post:
MactireAonair (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 02:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are gonna get killed.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks @MikeyBoyesq I did pick up a 2018 yfz450r and love it. I put some XC kenda kutters on it. No funds for shocks yet but on the list. I'll see how well I can make do with the stockers.

Really appreciate everyone's feedback - set me in the right direction.

@garyc660R - don't be such a mean girl.

The following users liked this post:
MikeyBoyesq (07-09-2019)
Old 02-28-2020, 11:12 PM
D K
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A somewhat related question to the guys who answered above..

is any brand of quad a better buy than another? Are parts more plentiful/cheaper for a Yamaha vs. Honda for example?