ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   ATV Racing (https://atvconnection.com/forums/atv-racing/)
-   -   too wide to race? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/atv-racing/42724-too-wide-race.html)

derekhonda 07-02-2001 03:13 AM

I got +3 a-arms on my quad and like them for mxing, but some of my buddies are starting to get into woods racing, am i too wide for some of the trails that you guys race on?

LT80 07-04-2001 09:05 PM

your going to be tight!!!! be carefull not to snag a tree going fast [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

nacsracer40 07-05-2001 12:27 AM

The AMA legal limit is 50inches wide. You should be ok with +3, but
since your woods racing, i would have stayed with the stock with or only +2 or +1.

~BaTmAn #40~
'01 Yamy Raptor(temporary race quad)<---not no more!!
white bro's slip-on, razrs on the rear, AC nerfs, kill switch.

'98 Yamy Blaster(last years championship winning quad)
fmf pipe/silencer, k&n filter, AC nerfs/bumper/grab bar, bandit rears on douglas .190's, fast trekker fronts on douglas .190's, renthal bars, injector block-off.

'86 250r (Finally Finished!!!!)
LRD national motor/pipe/silencer, AC pro pegs/bumper/grab bar, maier dark blue plastic, Nac's Racing graphic kit/seat cover/bar clamp/bar pad/brake block off/mud caps(beadlocks), marshall radial fronts on douglas .190's, grooved turfs on douglas/champion beadlocks, Tag bars, leagers a-arms/swing arm, LSR axle, anti fade lock nut, PeP rear shock, Ohlins piggyback front shocks(PeP fronts on order), GS Racing wireharness, 114 race fuel, synergyn oils

86atc250r 07-05-2001 02:12 AM

If the woods are anything like what we race, you'll hate trying to race with any extended control arms, yet alone +3's. My suggestion is to put the stock control arms back on before you try or you'll be sorry.

Come to think of it, I can't remember someone with even +2 control arms finishing a race in recent memory (most don't even line up on the starting line after taking a practice lap).

That's why you'll see a stock axle and stock control arms on my bike [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Blackvenom 07-05-2001 09:59 AM

Let me tell you about my first Hare Scramble. Several years ago me and a friend decided that we wanted to try racing our quads. I had just bought a brand new 96 Yamaha Warrior. We went to Buds Creek, MD to watch our first race. Keep in mind that this was the first time that we had ever seen a MX track in real life. We decided after watching the race that we were better equiped to race in the woods, after all that was the type of riding that we were used to. Several weeks later we were back at Buds Creek to try our first hare scramble. The track manager (Jonathan, runs an excellent operation at Buds Creek) had his crew cut new hare scramble trails the day before. Well the motorcycles went first and then we followed on the quads. The race followed the MX track for half a lap and then it broke to the right and out through the woods following one of the new trails. I was beaten bad off of the line and was behind about 10 quads by the time I got to the first woods section. It was here that it got interesting. It was barely wide enough to get your quad through the trees. The first turn inside the woods caused a bottleneck because people were having to jump off of there quads and pull the front ends off of the trees just to make it around turns. Most of the trails that followed were wide enough that you could open it up and run in about forth gear, but when it got narrow it got real narrow. I wore myself out just trying to unstick my quad off of roots and trees. I guess what I am trying to say is I can't imagine having to go through that with +3 Arms on the front. In fact I don't know if it would have been physically possible to even fit through some of the tighter spots in race. Racing is a lot of fun if you have the knowledge to make things run smoothly. I definetly was not prepared for that first race. Hope this helps you.

derekhonda 07-07-2001 05:39 PM

well thanks for replying. I still have my stock ones, but I kinda wanted to sell them, so I could buy new shocks. I was going to get 125 for them but i told the guy they werent for sale at the last minute. I guess i will keep them. But whats crappy, is i coulda had that money to add to the shocks, but now i will havta buy new bearings for the stockers. so that sucks, instead of getting money, i will now have to pay money. Ohwell, it will evenetually be worth it.

Thanks

86atc250r 07-07-2001 05:49 PM

At $32 each, it's cheaper to replace the lower control arms than it is to replace the bearings. New control arms come with bearings, seals, and ball joints.

If you need all 4 (uppers and lowers), and that guy is willing to buy your old ones for $125, you might be better off selling him your old ones & buying all new control arms. They will cost you approx $175+shipping for all four. That's a $50 difference - 4 sets of bearings & seals will cost you more than that & you will still have old control arms & ball joints.

derekhonda 07-07-2001 11:10 PM

how do you figure 175, if they are only 32 each? that would only be 128?

Thanks

86atc250r 07-08-2001 03:40 AM

Uppers are $50/ea -- lowers are 32/ea - new from Servicehonda.

Gabe

derekhonda 07-08-2001 11:35 AM

and they come already ready to hook up, everything inside (clips, bearings, seals?) Thats a pretty good deal. Thanks