ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   ATV Racing (https://atvconnection.com/forums/atv-racing/)
-   -   Racing??? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/atv-racing/44067-racing.html)

BlackwhiteRaptor660R 07-21-2001 03:31 AM

How can I get started in racing???
please help!!!

lonestarbanshee 07-21-2001 06:00 PM

Here's a try.. Call K&K racing, order numbers, and number backgrounds, plates.. then go to a track.. practice.. balls to the walls.. and show up on race day

Sandhopper 07-21-2001 08:54 PM

That is so true! That's what I did! My first race is in August! I thought it was so complicated to get into racing, but it's just a matter of showing up, signing up, and riding! (hopefully you will be familiar with the track, though!)

lonestarbanshee 07-22-2001 12:18 AM

Yeah sandhopper, everyone thinks that you must have all these fancy stickers.. graphics.. trailers.. all that crap.. I haul my quad in the back of my Nissan, jug of gas, shock wrench, and some glue. I don't know if you guys do it.. but, all the people where i race.. get off, kick the dirt around.. smooth it out.. I just pull up to the gate, spin my tires, rock my quad back into the rut.. wait til the gate drops, and kick some rear!! Racing takes heart, and skill, not someone that wants to show off!

Shift 07-22-2001 09:46 PM

yep... just show up, sign up, and ride. If you dont have time to get numbers tie strap a paper plate on that bad boy... if i were you after I signed up I'd walk the track over really good to know what to expect..

lonestarbanshee 07-23-2001 01:30 AM

yeah shift, i usually roll all the jumps in 2nd.. then do them

LT80 07-23-2001 10:59 AM

start slow and smart, then work up, get PEP shocks for your raptor,other than that, all i can recommend is NOT doing anything Lonestarbanshee says,,balls to the wall is a guaranteed ambulance ride! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
best of luck racing
jack moore GNC 40+ class 5N

mdegain 07-23-2001 01:25 PM

I totally agree. You don't wanna go "Balls to the wall", especially with no racing experience. Thats just about the worst advice I have ever heard. Just go out there and ride to have fun. After a few races at the same track you will get more comfortable with your bike and yourself, then you can go balls to the wall. If you get too anxious, you will be going for a ride, a ride to the hospital. I have seen too many new riders with broken bones, sprains, and paralasys to say, go ride balls to the wall on your first time ever on the track.

lonestarbanshee 07-23-2001 02:45 PM

Sorry guys.. I said it wrong.. What I meant was practice.. Get comfortable with it, then ride harder, until you feel satisfied with your speed, then try a race. If you don't do good, practice more, then race again. Still not pleased? Practice more! Practice Parctice, Practice. LT80, I know a little about how I did it.. I showed up at a track I have never been to, 1st race I ever rode in, and rode my heart out. With 5 laps of practice on the track, I got 2nd place.

mxer 07-23-2001 02:50 PM

I am interested into getting into racing to. I already have my ama card. the track i want to race in is in district 6, so do i also have to buy a district 6 card? I asked some local racers and got mixxed anwsers. PlEASE help me on this one.

matt