ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

tips on track

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2000, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some questions about motocross racing. I am starting racing this year and I am wondering does everybody use the clutch to shift or do you shift without the clutch. Also I keep having a problem with my ignition wires coming loose. Anybody else have this problem? One last thing-after about 6-8 hard laps I can hear my front shocks making a clicking sound? Does anyone know what this is and what causes it? Responses would be appreciated.

Old 03-06-2000, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer

i used my clutch alot cause some times coming out of the corner the motor would bog a little bit from being in to high of a gear i`d just slip the clutch and get the rpm`s back up again. you may wanna try to zip tie the wires together if possable, if not maybe someone else can help you with that because i am not sure as for the shocks it sounds like the oil is getting hot and fading, typicaly stock shocks( if you have them). will do that after being riden hard for a while. if they are aftermarket you would want to add a reservoir and go to alittle heavier valving to over come that problem. if you have any more questions just ask i`d be glad to help you as much as i can.

Old 03-07-2000, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

I would try to crimp the connectors on the wires a little tighter or use tie wraps if you can.
I always try to use the clutch as much as possible..especially when diving into a hard corner from a higher gear.
........as far as the clicking on the shocks...I'm guessing your using the stockers....and depending on how hard you ride...the oil in the shocks will thin with heat (hard riding). That could be causing the shocks to make some noise...I know when I put works shocks on my wheeler, I had the same problem with clicking...So I called the company...then after I looked at the response and my wheeler...It made sense...the works shocks are gonna click a bit....they have floating spacers that rattle when the shock is compressed. They say this is quite normal under hard riding conditions....and I can't hear it when I ride...only if I compress the shocks by hand.

Hope this helps

Old 03-07-2000, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

For MX racing on a four stroke, your job is a lot easier than us two stroke riders. You don't have to shift as much because four strokes have the torque advantage over the two strokes. Basically, what you want to do though is go as fast as you can into a corner. You want to stay on the gas as long as you possibly can!! Then grab the clutch, slam on the rear brakes, and rev it up a little. Then when you let off the brakes, immediately get back on the gas to get back up to speed as quickly as possible. With the 300, you probably won't have to down shift so it will be little easier for you. If you had a two stroke however you would have to drop a gear and start feathering that clutch to keep the engine revving. As for the clutchless shifting, it really isn't going to hurt if you are riding full speed down a straight. It will shift just fine in that situation. You do however want to use it in the corners, it could make the difference between you or someone else getting out of the turn quicker.

Old 03-07-2000, 06:45 PM
Range Rover

Everyone has given good advise. The clicking sound may be your shocks getting hot, does it feel as if you land harder, you may just be beginning to bottom out a little. Are you positive its the shocks making the noise, for example, do you have a skid plate on? If so maybe that starts smacking the ground and making a sound you hear. As far as the clutch, it is a good idea to feather it in the corner, some people will say its not needed on a thumper, but I used to race a 300EX and I liked to keep the rev's up and it was faster. In the straits the best is to stay on the gas and slip the clutch a little and shift as fast as possible, if you let up a little to shift without using any clutch, it is a little slower, but if you get tired sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
For the wireing you can try crimping the connectors a little, and you may want to tape the connectors together also to be sure. If you have to, try rewiring it with better locking conectors you can get at hardware stores, Its not fun breaking down during a race, I still remember my first MX race ever when I was actually leading the entire race and my spark plug boot decidied to fail on the last lap. It's not the way you want to end the race, so fix it even if it means buying a new wiring harness to be absolutly sure. But like I said try using better connectors, I never did like those separate plug-in ones because they do begin to losen up as you are experiencing.

Good Luck With the Racing,

Sickman

Old 03-07-2000, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I know to clutch in the corners and to keep the revs up, I do that. I was just wondering if it hurt anything to not use the clutch to shift in the straightaways. I was asking because after a few laps when I get tired it is easier to have a good grip on the bars without reaching out my hands. About the shocks, I am sure that that is what is making the clicking noises. I have Works dual rate steelers without resoirvors. Do you think I need to get resoirvors? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-08-2000, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

RacerEx

I just bought a 300 ex about a month ago and I'm gonna race some at a local track. I was wondering what mods you have one yours. All I have on mine is an AC bumper(the stock bumper was bent all to peices whan I bought it) and Ac nerfs. I just broke my front left shock(and left ankle) in two right above where in bolts to the a-arm. I am thinking about getting Works dual rates without the reservoirs. How do you like yours?Well I guess I'll talk to ya later. bye

Old 03-08-2000, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

My mods are: motor-Megamax II exhaust, Wiseco 11:1 piston, Web-Cam torque cam, 14 tooth front sprocket, Uni filter/ shocks-Works dual rate w/out resoirvors/ AC racing bumper and DG grab bar/ Holeshots front and rear-21x7-10 in the front, 20x11-9 in the rear/ Renthal 300ex bend bars I think that's it as for the shocks they are much plusher and smoother than stock sounds like though I need to get the resoirvors since they are making the clicking noise.

Old 03-09-2000, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer

RACEREX,

Old 03-09-2000, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer

RACEREX,

Quick Reply: tips on track