ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

? for xc racers

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 11:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a warrior and want to race it in xc and need to know if my set up is good for xc. i have on it whats in my sig and have front wheel spacers a standard wiseco piston/gasket set web cam mid range cam/ti vavle springs a barnett clutch kit. i will be getting works dual rate shocks and a durablue 2+2 axle a pair of hand guards and some rethal handle bars also maybe a new bumper. is this good enough to be competitive and is there any thing else that would benefit me enough that i cant be with out it. sorry if this was long but i need to know thanks for your replies

Old 06-27-2002, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

Your setup looks pretty good but I would stay away from the wider axle and the wheel spacers.When your racing in the woods you want to stay narrow and go with a little taller tire for ground clearence.Some say nerfs are bad in woods racing but I like them.

Old 06-27-2002, 11:51 PM
Range Rover

i was getting the wider axle because it is ajustible so when i race i could go narrow and when i ride at home in the open trails i could widen it to turn faster the wheel spacer widen the front but still aint wider than the rear so that probally wont matter i geuss

Old 06-28-2002, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

nurf bars and wider axles I seem to clip alot of trees and rocks, but thats just me. I did widen the front a little and it's about 1 1/2" wider than the rear. I use the XCT front tires at 23" and realy like this set up. For me being able to look at the wider front was better than just keep clipping everything. The front does slow me down some on the real tite stuff but has realy helped in conjunction with the tires to get over the rutted areas.

The best thing is to leave what you have and let your racing dictate your mods, after all it has to fit your riding style not ours.

Depending how your bottom end responds you may want to use the stock cam or do some gearing to over come the cam you have. Bottom and mid is the name of the game in my book, but thats me.

Old 06-28-2002, 07:27 PM
Range Rover

to over come the cam i am using i should go lower in the gearing right. i have a 12t on the front instead of the stock thirteen right now and would it really matter to go down 2in on the rear tires

Old 06-28-2002, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

The best thing to do is,unless you have a real problem with your set up at this point, leave it alone. Nothings worse than spending money on a mod and then finding out during racing another mod would make it better than what you just did. So like I said before what ever you have run that and then let your racing dictate what you want/need next.

Best of luck to you.

Old 06-28-2002, 09:04 PM
Range Rover

i was planning on getting new 20in razr 2s when they come out anyway and if i have to go down on the gearing it would only be a few dollars but i know what u mean. i race then see what i need to change but i just wanted experienced racer opinions. oh and gaff do you actually race that lakota and what class do you race in. is a good quad because i was going to get a lakota but dealer talked me out of it

Trending Topics

Old 06-29-2002, 08:16 AM
Pro Rider

yup actually race it!

It is very quick in woods racing. Although it takes alot of money to get it going real good, just a pipe and jetting gets it going a hole lot better than stock.

I haven't woods raced it in a couple months, I've been hanging with my son at the mx track. So I have been mx racing it the last couple months. It's realy to heavy for mx but racing is to much in my blood to sit and watch. I've been holding my own so far but I also been racing open class, so it's tough to get a win. Although I've placed a few times.

In woods racing I do very well. I only been able to get in some open class races but now they have a sport class. The sport class is for 350cc and below, it includes the blaster also. Very good class but I probably won't get into any more woods racing untill my sons done with his season.

Where you live is the best hare scramble series. www.msws.org

Old 06-29-2002, 02:21 PM
Range Rover

thats cool that you have time for your son and prefer to let him have fun first and thanks for the website .