ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   ATV Racing (https://atvconnection.com/forums/atv-racing/)
-   -   Help setting my banshee up for MX racing (https://atvconnection.com/forums/atv-racing/71630-help-setting-my-banshee-up-mx-racing.html)

400scrambler 08-05-2002 01:45 PM

Hi, I just recently bought a 2002 Banshee, and I want to race MX. I had a new 400ex that I raced MX with and had it all set up, till it got stolen about a month ago. So now I am starting all over with a new quad Im not to familiar with, and thats where I need all your help. First off, with a banshee should I work on the chassis? I have heard of ppl using a -1 swingarm? wider axle, shocks, and a-arms. Or should I put pipes on it, V-Force reeds? I have been looking around at pipes and So far I have been stuck on the Toomeys. Now I want a REALLY good LOW and MID range pipe! and a lil more top end. Would the toomeys be right for me?! Is there anything on my banshee I should do that you guys/girls see could be a problem for MX? ANY help/ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

racerx573 08-05-2002 06:52 PM

My cousin races a Shee MX. He got an LSR axle, custom +2 a-arms,and all 3 PEP shocks. As for the motor, he runs a 370 Long rod w/ 1-into-2 carb, and a Dyno port 2 into 1 pipe, and a cool heard and K&N intake w/ a custom aluminum airbox; there's more stuff on it.. I believe the pipe makes it so you dont have to be on the clutch as much for bottom end power. All I know is his quad flat out hauls @$$!!!

400scrambler 08-05-2002 07:16 PM

RacerX what kind of pipe is he running on his banshee?

Need4Speed 08-06-2002 12:26 AM

Yes the 2 into 1 pipe is great for lowend. Wider is better and so is lower. It's not a matter of how much suspension you have but how well you use it.

400scrambler 08-06-2002 12:36 AM

So If I got the Toomeys and then the 2 into 1 hush kit I would be happy with it on the MX track. Is the banshee a pretty good quad for MX racing?

Jennifer 08-06-2002 12:37 PM

With some work it can be. My friend modded his out to MX and it hauls. Rarely did he not get the holeshot. He bought Custom Axis shocks for the front and an Elka for the rear. Dropped the bike nearly 3 inches from what it was with the Works shocks he had on it. Lonestar aarms 2+1, Lonestar Axle, Beadlokc wheels front and back, running the Paul Turner low end pipes. Good hit on the bottom and mid, but doesn't pull on the top like toomeys. The 2 into 1 carb is nice also on the track for low end. If you're going to be track racing though top end isn't that great a concern. Coolhead, bored, and a hella port job. he bought a lot of nic nac unnecessary stuff just to make the bike look good, but not real functional. He ran a stock length Lonestar swingarm, shorter one on others had tended to make it even more wheelie prone. Next problem after power is getting it to the ground and functional. He ran 18" Razr mx tires on the rear and 19-20" MX Holeshots on the front. Be sure you know what size tires your going to run because it will make a difference in how the build your shocks. He ran one size then shortened them and inch in the front and he ended up with 2 busted shocks, when he called to get them fixed they asked if he had changed tire sizes. You might email him and see what he has to say about his. He was trying to sell it, but I don'tknow about now. I'll PM you his email.

400scrambler 08-06-2002 02:05 PM

Jennifer: Thanks A lot! that message you posted really helped me a lot, keep em comming guys/girls. Where is a good place to buy the Paul Turner low end pipes? also would the works steelers for the front work good? I planned on running 18' tires in the rear.

Jennifer 08-06-2002 02:36 PM

It just so happens the guy i wa talking about has a set of works triple rate shocks with remote cans for sale! And they are set up for the plus 2 aarms and i think 20 inch tires in the front. Depends on your weight though, you would maybe have to have some valving done or adjust the preload a bit. He also had the easy adjust preload caps put on when he got them back from rebuild. Instead of having to clamp the springs down to move the clip for the preload you adjust them with a spanner wrench instead. I think they had one or two rides on them after rebuild so they are fresh if your interested. You can try Duncan Racing for the pipes or just look through dirt wheels and see who will give you the nest price. The port work made a workd of difference on the low end for the quad. I had mine done at the same place and the guy is really good.

400scrambler 08-06-2002 03:50 PM

Jennifer: I weigh about 160 pounds. I might be interested in those can you talk to him and see what he wants for them.

Thanks

Jennifer 08-06-2002 04:00 PM

hey scrambler email me ok? flygirl@texoma.net Ill give you the prices that way I just talked to him. Be sure you are going to do the extended aarms or these shocks are going to ride like crap. You two are about the same weight and he has them dialed in real well for extended aarms with 20" front tires. He's about 150 lbs. so the shocks will work well for you. Send an email and ill get with im on the price.