ATV riding on public secondary roads Does your state allow it

Which is More Dangerous; Motorcycle or ATV

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:40 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A brain bucket makes perfect sense. I never leave home without it. I saw a young girl on a Honda ATV riding down our road last weekend. I enjoyed seeing an ATV on the road, but I cringed when I didn't see a helmet on her head.

I had a friend who's son fell off his skateboard backwards on his head. His brain was injured and he will never be the same. He was not wearing his helmet. He is one reason I always wear mine. Brain injuries are tough.

It's a good idea to compare off road dirt bikes to ATVs as that is an equal riding environment. Take a turn too fast and motorcycles tend to slide from under you, ATVs tend to roll over on top of you.

Neither machine offers much crash protection. Operators have to wear their protection.

David

Old 04-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dbj216

I had a friend who's son fell off his skateboard backwards on his head. His brain was injured and he will never be the same. He was not wearing his helmet. He is one reason I always wear mine. Brain injuries are tough.

It's a good idea to compare off road dirt bikes to ATVs as that is an equal riding environment. Take a turn too fast and motorcycles tend to slide from under you, ATVs tend to roll over on top of you.

David
I don't wear one in two circumstances. One is when I'm going very slow doing work or hauling with the quad. Two is when it's very hot out and sweat pours into my eyes. I'd rather be able to see and avoid things that cause accidents than not see and run into them.

One place motorcross bikes shine compared to quads is in off camber situations where one side of the trail is higher than the other. Bike can pick either side and not be affected at all. One of my rolls was on an off camber hill. We discovered later that the signs were missing that said it was a motocross only trail....

Old 04-26-2017, 03:20 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been on trails where motorcycles wore a deep rut on one side making a level trail into an off-camber one. I feel like I'm going to roll my quad over but the bikes just zip by.