ATV riding on public secondary roads Does your state allow it

Nice Street Ride Today

Old 05-14-2017, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I hear ya, wife and I lived in the city for the first few years we were married and I hated it. I grew up in the city but we did have a cottage with acreage and I couldn't wait to go there every weekend, but after I got out on my own, I hated the city. We are now way out in the country and wish I could go farther. Since retiring last year we have just bought a motorhome and busy getting everything to our liking, also bought an enclosed trailer to haul my UTV in so shortly we can "get away" as far as we want as we will be fully self contained. I have been quite lucky in my area with the police, they must have plenty of other things to do as they don't pay much attention to the atv/utv's unless you are doing something stupid.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I definitely want to move out of town in a few years. Even if i lived say 1 mile out of town, no problems. I drive by several houses hauling to my local riding spot and think if I lived here, I could just ride out there. When I moved here 17 years ago, I didn't even own an atv. It was something I wasn't thinking about then. Didn't have the money to buy one back then anyway. The best way to fight city hall is to just move to a different city.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:06 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's bad luck greg74. I'm sure you local police want to do a "good job" and maybe they have a "no tolerance" mindset to enforce all rules on the books. We live just far enough away that the deputy only drives by once a day, usually in the morning, and I've never seen the patrol vehicle on the dirt roads. I do notice that they have a Polaris Sportsman ATV in the back of their pickup for off road emergencies during the summer. It is a snowmobile in the bed during the winter.

kymco: We enjoy traveling in our camper in our retirement as I'm sure you will too. Our's is a conventional trailer, so I can't bring the ATV. No double bottoms for me.

An occasional street ride on the ATV seems rather harmless, it is rather fun, and increases my enjoyment of the hobby. Too bad it is illegal.

David

Old 05-14-2017, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

We thought seriously about going the trailer route but as you know we cant take any toys along, so that was a key decision for the motorhome. I also have a 22' boat that I could also tow if we find it to our liking. With a trailer I would have also had to buy a large tow vehicle, another 30-40 G's on top of the trailer. At least with the motorhome we will only get crappy fuel economy while driving it, but with the large tow vehicle we would be getting crappy fuel economy all the time. They both have there pro's and con's, we had travel trailers when the kids were young and at home, never any complaints, just think the MH will be a better use for where we are in life. Only time will tell......

Old 05-14-2017, 10:02 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel for you guys... I ride my atv right out of my garage down the street to the trails. LOL...have 3 sheriff's that live in my neighborhood. No one ever says anything. I don't know how I would handle not having open space land close by that is legal to ride on.

Open space where i ride.

Thats Mount Taylor far away in the background.

Beauty in the desert.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think a few people have ruined it for everyone where I live. Still, it should be taken on a case by case basis and not grouping all atv riders in with the few idiots that rip through town tearing up people's yards and doing wheelies and donuts. I don't have to haul far to get to some decent trails though so its not all bad. It would be nice to ride the 6.5-7 miles to get there instead of hauling but on the flip side if you have a problem and break down, you're 6.5 miles from home. Had that happen once out riding by myself and had to walk several miles home in 95 degree heat. If I hadn't been in decent shape, I'm not sure I could have made it. Staying close to your hauler isn't such a bad thing.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HawkeyeRider
I feel for you guys... I ride my atv right out of my garage down the street to the trails. LOL...have 3 sheriff's that live in my neighborhood. No one ever says anything. I don't know how I would handle not having open space land close by that is legal to ride on.

Open space where i ride.

Thats Mount Taylor far away in the background.

Beauty in the desert.
Nice scenic pics

Old 05-17-2017, 06:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's in Arizona where I live it's perfectly normal, legal, and acceptable. Nobody thinks twice about an ATV cruising down the road. To me they're just another motorcycle, and it doesn't seem logical to me that they are not seen as such in so many places.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting comment creed82: Arizona has had street legal ATV laws for a long time. I think it comes from all the neat trails the state has to offer, and the fact that it is a winter haven for many retired folks with golf carts. People get used to ATVs and golf carts on public roads.

We citizens can get used to unusual vehicles on our roads. Almost all of us are used to small scooters and minibikes on our roads. In Iowa, it was not unusual to see an Amish horse and buggy riding down the road. We slow, and wait until it is safe to pass, and give a wave to the folks in the buggy. No big deal. Utah has a very good street legal ATV / UTV law also. Citizens there are used to these vehicles on their roads. Again, it is no big deal.

We do expect ATVs, motor scooters, golf carts, and the like to follow all traffic laws. And we would report violations to the local authorities. Ever follow a erratic driver you suspect has been drinking and call 911 with a license plate number? I have.

I'm sure the media would "front page" a tragic traffic accident involving an ATV. The bad press hurts street legal ATV efforts. But I don't think ATV accidents would be any higher than motorcycle accidents.

David

Old 07-09-2017, 10:48 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbj216
Very interesting comment creed82: Arizona has had street legal ATV laws for a long time. I think it comes from all the neat trails the state has to offer, and the fact that it is a winter haven for many retired folks with golf carts. People get used to ATVs and golf carts on public roads.

We citizens can get used to unusual vehicles on our roads. Almost all of us are used to small scooters and minibikes on our roads. In Iowa, it was not unusual to see an Amish horse and buggy riding down the road. We slow, and wait until it is safe to pass, and give a wave to the folks in the buggy. No big deal. Utah has a very good street legal ATV / UTV law also. Citizens there are used to these vehicles on their roads. Again, it is no big deal.

We do expect ATVs, motor scooters, golf carts, and the like to follow all traffic laws. And we would report violations to the local authorities. Ever follow a erratic driver you suspect has been drinking and call 911 with a license plate number? I have.

I'm sure the media would "front page" a tragic traffic accident involving an ATV. The bad press hurts street legal ATV efforts. But I don't think ATV accidents would be any higher than motorcycle accidents.

David
I agree 100%, David.

Search this Thread