ATV riding on public secondary roads Does your state allow it

Meet Oreion: A US Maker of Road-Legal UTVs

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 01:49 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Meet Oreion: A US Maker of Road-Legal UTVs

Some companies understand the need of all-terrain vehicles that are only just getting started where the trail comes to an end.

Meet Oreion, a US manufacturer who had built a 49-state legal solution:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/m...g-utvs-street/

Old 05-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard of The Reeper series before and I think I posted a link to them in a street legal ATV thread on here. One thing I don't know about them is if the Chinese engines are any good. I won't be the guinea pig to find out.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:37 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you ATV Correspondent. I found the article interesting, and yes, I believe jumbofrank referred us to this machine in an earlier post. You know, it doesn't look all that different from a Jeep Renegade.

I would think the modern UTVs like the Maverick, RZR, Wild Cat, Yamaha and the like are very close to being street legal if these Oreo guys can do it. Let's see: signal lights, horn, windshields, belts, mufflers, tires, ROPs, etc. It would sure make the $22k these machines can cost much more justifiable. And then you have to have the right "class" of vehicle. The Can Am Spyder and the Polaris Slingshot (which does have a Chevy motor) are "motorcycles". Electric vehicles get a big break in federal licensing requirements. But I'm not sure on UTVs. But if motor scooters work, why not UTVs and ATVs?

David

Old 05-16-2017, 11:59 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with you David. It shouldn't take much to make any of the UTVs street legal. If production ever slows down for the off road versions maybe they'll get to work on street legal versions.

BTW I have a lot more faith in the GM Ecotec engine in the Slingshot than I do anything Chinese. If I was in the market for something like a Reeper and a GM engine was optional I'd fork out the extra cash for it. Other than that it looks good.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Chery makes engines for John Deere for their Gators. They seem to be pretty solid engines in the Gators. I've seen these utvs, I think the 1100cc one has a manual transmission like the YXZ.