ATV riding on public secondary roads Does your state allow it

84.4-mile ride in rural NE Arizona (street legal)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84.4-mile ride in rural NE Arizona (street legal)

Howdy friends,

A few weeks back I rode my 2016 Honda Rancher from Taylor, AZ to Holbrook AZ and back. 99% of the trip was on roads requiring street legal. It was a lot of fun.

Here's a short video of a few sections of the ride, including HWY 180 near the Petrified Forest.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:22 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never rode an ATV on a highway and I don't think I would want to unless it had street tires. My quad gets kind of squirrelly when I ride it on roads. I think some of it is because of the tires.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think I would ever feel safe riding on a highway for any distance. You are so much smaller and lighter than cars and trucks and no protection if you do ever get hit. Maybe for a short distance to get from one trail to another but not for miles and miles. One reason I don't think I would ever own a motorcycle either and they're 100% street legal anywhere. Much larger vehicles routinely tailgates motorcycles, that would make me really nervous. I can guess they would do the same to atvs in the same situation.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:55 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
I don't think I would ever feel safe riding on a highway for any distance. You are so much smaller and lighter than cars and trucks and no protection if you do ever get hit. Maybe for a short distance to get from one trail to another but not for miles and miles. One reason I don't think I would ever own a motorcycle either and they're 100% street legal anywhere. Much larger vehicles routinely tailgates motorcycles, that would make me really nervous. I can guess they would do the same to atvs in the same situation.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

ATV's are probably safer than a lot of antique cars. I was talking to a guy that drives his Model T roadster all over the state. He said the scariest was getting caught in stop and go traffic, because the brakes were so weak. Both of my Arctic Cats have good brakes and feel pretty safe at 50 mph on asphalt. Somebody gets on my bumper, I pull over. Heck, that looked like a blast. creed82, did you check your mpg? I got 32 mpg with my AC 400 on a 90 mile trail ride, 35-40 mph. Can't wait to try my AC Turbo diesel.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I never rode an ATV on a highway and I don't think I would want to unless it had street tires. My quad gets kind of squirrelly when I ride it on roads. I think some of it is because of the tires.
Mine is fun to ride on the road. It doesn't get squirrely, just smooth sailing.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by greg74
Agreed. I'm very cautious about it. I use my mirrors and I don't let larger vehicles near me on the highway. When I see them coming, I give them lots of clearance, or move off to the side. I only ride the roads to get where I'm going, generally connecting trails.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by hydrex
ATV's are probably safer than a lot of antique cars. I was talking to a guy that drives his Model T roadster all over the state. He said the scariest was getting caught in stop and go traffic, because the brakes were so weak. Both of my Arctic Cats have good brakes and feel pretty safe at 50 mph on asphalt. Somebody gets on my bumper, I pull over. Heck, that looked like a blast. creed82, did you check your mpg? I got 32 mpg with my AC 400 on a 90 mile trail ride, 35-40 mph. Can't wait to try my AC Turbo diesel.
Thanks Hydrex. It WAS fun! I averaged 33mpg on that ride. Same thing here, I just pull over when I see a car approaching from the rear. Have you tried out your AC turbo diesel yet? I'm very intrigued by that one.