ATV riding on public secondary roads Does your state allow it

Our Lawmakers at Work

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Our Lawmakers at Work

A friend of mine found this Colorado "committee report" on the internet. Those who care to read it might find it interesting that there is so many facets of lawmaking. This particular committee didn't get much done. There was a law passed in 2016 that allowed local jurisdictions to establish ATV routes in their locales. It least a small step forward.

Press for a street legal law in your area.

David

Attached Files
Old 07-21-2017, 11:31 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some people in my city in favor of making ATVs street legal but we're probably outnumbered by 100,000 other people who are either against it or couldn't care less. Some smaller cities with trails nearby at least have a legal route into town to a gas station but that's about it. I doubt ATVs will ever be legal in the city unless the state legalizes them first.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:32 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to admit it, but sometimes the state has to give guidance. In Colorado, local officials do have the authority to establish ATV routes, or roads, and regulations. Let's see, gotta be a licensed driver, gotta have insurance, gotta have a helmet; but in the next town, none of this is necessary. It gets really confusing.

Remember liquor by the drink laws? Don't get me started on income tax, inheritance tax, or property tax, or building codes.

Luckily Colorado formed a committee to study the situation. Lots of hot air, but not much action.

We will keep pressing...

David

Old 07-23-2017, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The government is like the Mafia, they will let you exist if they get their cut ie taxes. I liked the part about the emissions of OHV's is similar to on road vehicles, BS ! Most cars are driven 20,000 miles or so a year, average ATV, maybe 500-1000 miles. As far as I know, all of my Arctic Cats met CAFE standards.