ATV riding on public secondary roads Does your state allow it

Silverton Colorado Street Riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 07:08 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Silverton Colorado Street Riding

Silverton Colorado is a BIG ATV destination. There are miles, and miles of very scenic and challenging trails. Some of the county roads are also designated ATV routes. A 2015 state law allows local jurisdictions to declare ATV routes and rules on those routes. The area is a great ATV vacation. A little like Hatfield-McCoy in Virginia or Moab in Utah. After a day's riding, then you can ride into town from the campground for dinner. Lot's of fun. Google it.

My friend just got back from an ATV vacation there. They go every year. Here is a photo they took last week. It is so great to see ATVs on the streets and in parking places.

Street legal riding sure adds a lot to the ATV hobby. Maybe some of you have been to the Silverton area?

David

Old 08-21-2017, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the post db. Looks like one more place I need to add to my bucket list. If the planning for this years ATVing vacation weren't already done I would consider it now.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Haven't been to Colorado riding.

I love being able to ride up to a restaurant, gas station, or lodging. It makes the experience far more welcoming. Paiute Trail, Northern NH, and all of Maine have trails with access to all of the above. Love it.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

One day I hope to ride in the Rocky Mountains....Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, etc.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad to see another state wake up to the advantage and income from off road vehicles in there cities. Every state that has done so has been rewarded with additional income from the tourist industry and that includes extra money from registrations. Local tax dollars has also been a big boost for all the little towns along the way. To bad we have so many stuffy governors in other states to dumb to see the advantages!!

Old 08-23-2017, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Glad to see another state wake up to the advantage and income from off road vehicles in there cities. Every state that has done so has been rewarded with additional income from the tourist industry and that includes extra money from registrations. Local tax dollars has also been a big boost for all the little towns along the way. To bad we have so many stuffy governors in other states to dumb to see the advantages!!
Maine rakes in millions during riding season. If you were to sit at the southern end of Maine where Route 95 funnels down you could count about 1 out of every 12 vehicles has a quad or more with them.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:13 PM
Back Country Explorer

We were in Moab about two years ago to visit the national parks. I was not into the ATV hobby at the time. I was amazed at the ATV activity on the streets. Of course there were lots of jeeps too. That town does a booming business with the ATV tourists. I wonder if it is similar to the national park visitors.

Here is a view of a nice RZR parked on main street. Picking up a pizza to go?
Maybe Utah is the ATV capital of the USA.

David

Old 08-24-2017, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Maine is actively trying to link up all the different clubs' trail systems into one big trail that you can ride through most areas of the state. Utah is more wide open than Maine with better vistas. Maine is more technical in areas but probably the most ATV friendly state in the country. Not sure how Alaska is. So, my ranking would probably be 1) Maine, 2) Utah.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Trailblazer

I've never been to Maine, but I live in UT, and for ATVing it is a great place to live. My summer vacation for the last decade or so has been a week long ATV trail ride. I typically leave my house on the ATV, loaded with my gear and extra fuel, and ride for 120 miles or so through the mountains on a combination of dirt roads and 50" wide ATV trails, and spend the night at a motel in another town. Then the next day go another 120 to 150 miles to another town. And so on, for a week, taking in much of the state by ATV, before eventually returning home. It sure makes for a relaxing vacation, I get away from everyone and everything, for a week on my ATV.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:25 PM
Back Country Explorer

Hi Moose: I didn't realize Maine was that ATV friendly. Good to know. Utah is a street legal state except for large metro areas like Salt Lake City.

David