ATV riding on public secondary roads Does your state allow it

Secondary Road or Trail

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Secondary Road or Trail

I have now had two days of trail riding here in Colorado. The trails are rough, and the dropoffs steep in places. The scenery, wildlife, wildflowers, mountain streams are wonderful. We fully respect the land and follow all "Stay the Trail" requirements. I love trail riding. And I love riding my ATV. Great hobby.

In both trail rides, we had to pull our machines on trailers up rough gravel "county roads" to get to the trail head. These roads are much more suited to an ATV or a Jeep. Much to our chagrin, the rough, narrow, rock filled country road was posted "no ATVs" this year after over 25 years of using it to get to the ATV trail head. There is inadequate parking on the "cul de sac" at the trail head. I would not want to take my full sized pickup with trailer in tow up this "road". It is very rough, more like a creek bed if you can imagine. There is accessible and adequate parking at a campground 3 miles down from the trailhead. What's a guy to do? The Georgia Pass area is popular off highway vehicle driving area in the million acre Pike National Forest. The Jeeps, the dirt bikes and even a mini bike can legally ride up the road with a license plate. But not a ATV. We rode up the road anyway. Lawbreakers! And I hate that.

We don't know why this was marked "licensed vehicles only". Maybe a dispute between county officials and federal Forest Service officials. Many forest service roads are marked as on highway vehicles, and off highway vehicles combined. We share the road when riding. We passed several Jeeps and SUVs on Tuesday's trail ride. Maybe the dispute is who pays for what? I'd license my ATV but there is no street legal law in Colorado for me to do so. My machine is insured, and I'm a licensed driver, and my machine has "street legal" equipment mounted on it. I have my trail use sticker displayed. If I lived in Utah, I could license it and ride on this county road, or is it a trail?

Frustrating situations like this is why Colorado must pass a street legal law. There are so many "county" and forest service roads in Colorado that would be perfect for more sedate, scenic and safer ATV riding. Colorado could collect the annual license fees and the trail riding registration fees to help maintain these roads. What's not to like?

Gripe, gripe, gripe....

David

PS: I saw a young lady riding her Honda ATV down our neighborhood street this afternoon. I gave her a big thumbs up! Love seeing folks riding their ATVs on our roads.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The rest of us responsible riders do not understand this either, you are not alone. Have been to a number of meetings in my own state on relaxing the laws for atv/utv riding on roads. Here was one of the later comments from the so called I know better than you do officials....." When we allow these offroad vehicles on these back roads we have far more maintenance to do after they tear it up, so it saves the state money by allowing only licensed vehicles on these back roads." We tried to explain that these licensed vehicles are trucks and jeeps that truly rut up and wear out the back roads, even submitting pictures to that effect. It all fell on deaf ears as there only concern was the license revenue from these trucks and jeeps. We also explained that more revenue could be had from atv/utv licenses as it had been done in other states. As is the case in most states it fell on the deaf and the dumb....seems like a waste of time but we will continue to address the issue until we come across someone with an ounce of brains that actually understands. We feel your pain!

Old 07-23-2017, 07:09 PM
Back Country Explorer

Well said Kymco. I appreciate your sympathies. It is very difficult to change people's attitudes. There are some 22 states where people have changed the laws on ATVs and UTVs. If they can do it, we can do it. It will come.

David

Old 07-25-2017, 05:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I get not allowing atvs on actual streets but this is just a trail. Granted its more like a poorly maintained road but you're not going to see people driving through here in their minivan to see the scenery. Not allowing atvs on trails is going too far. Atvs don't tear up trails, full size vehicles with huge lifts and 40" tires do that. This is just ridiculous.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
I get not allowing atvs on actual streets but this is just a trail. Granted its more like a poorly maintained road but you're not going to see people driving through here in their minivan to see the scenery. Not allowing atvs on trails is going too far. Atvs don't tear up trails, full size vehicles with huge lifts and 40" tires do that. This is just ridiculous.
It was most likely County Road 54 that he was on, not a trail. I've not ridden up from that side to Georgia Pass but I've seen a multitude of different vehicles up on Georgia Pass. Of those vehicles I've seen up there, I keep thinking they must have come up from CR54 and not the way I've gone up there. The way I've been involves going up SOB hill and I'd be surprised if a car could make that.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:00 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocket204
It was most likely County Road 54 that he was on, not a trail. I've not ridden up from that side to Georgia Pass but I've seen a multitude of different vehicles up on Georgia Pass. Of those vehicles I've seen up there, I keep thinking they must have come up from CR54 and not the way I've gone up there. The way I've been involves going up SOB hill and I'd be surprised if a car could make that.
SOB hill sounds interesting. I'd love to see a pic if you can get one next time.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:43 AM
Back Country Explorer

Hi redrocket204: It was county road 54, a no winter plow, low maintenance "road" that a standard crossover SUV could negotiate. The road is barely wide enough for two lanes and speeds at 25 or less depending how much bouncing a guy wants to do.

My question why can't this road be shared with an quad ATV or UTV? If a mini bike is legal on it (licensed vehicle) then why not an ATV? My buddies have been riding on it for many, many years, never a problem.

As you know, there are many, many beautiful Colorado county and forest service roads that would make excellent ATV adventures. All we need is a license plate.

By the way, this SOB trail is one that I plan to take someday. I just need more experience and confidence. My friends are going to break me in on Red Cone and Radical Hill yet this summer. They enjoy seeing my eyes as big as saucers. Nice guys, huh?

David

Old 07-26-2017, 07:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This reminds me of some of the trails/roads I ride on around here. One in particular that is like locally is a non-maintained county road out in the middle of nowhere. Its about a 30 mile drive to get there but if its rained some portions of it can be a bit of a challenge. Lately it has rained so little that its been pretty easy, any 2wd quad could make it. A stock 4x4 full-size vehicle can make it as well but portions of it are a bit narrow so you better not care about denting the fenders on your 4x4 beater. Anything wider than a utv can't access the side trails either.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
SOB hill sounds interesting. I'd love to see a pic if you can get one next time.
10-4

I don't have any current plans to be there anytime soon, but that can change like the weather out here. I actually have a multi-day trip coming up in a few weeks and trying to get some stuff done around the house to keep the boss happy before I head out. Just seems the likely hood of getting out to the Red Cone/Breck area is slim until after I get back from my trip.

Originally Posted by dbj216
My question why can't this road be shared with an quad ATV or UTV? If a mini bike is legal on it (licensed vehicle) then why not an ATV? My buddies have been riding on it for many, many years, never a problem.
You're preaching to the choir my friend!

Originally Posted by dbj216
By the way, this SOB trail is one that I plan to take someday. I just need more experience and confidence. My friends are going to break me in on Red Cone and Radical Hill yet this summer. They enjoy seeing my eyes as big as saucers. Nice guys, huh?
This is a ride you must do! The one way section on the descent from Red Cone is very interesting. That is where you could be faced with a controlled skid and what I thought you were referring to in a previous post of yours discussing an upcoming ride. Engine breaking will be your friend but keep in mind, it is not that scary. Slow and steady but don't stop.

Radial Hill is also very interesting. Just make sure before heading up there the snow drift is clear. There is a tendency for a drift to cover that section since you are up there in elevation. Usually someone at the staging area is aware if the trail is passable on Radical Hill. Some years it takes time for that to melt off and is a reason why that trail only opens towards mid/late summer. Where the snow drift generally is, I would not want to turn around. Talk about scary.

Also, bring a couple of gallons of extra fuel if you are not able to get more than 60 miles out of your tank. Last thing you need is to be distracted about low fuel level while traversing some of those areas.

I'll dig up some photos from a ride there a couple years ago and post them. Since the PB debacle a month ago, I need to upload my photos to my Amazon account and host them from there now.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

Red Cone summit

Red Cone summit with Webster Pass and Radical Hill in the background

Radical Hill

On Radical Hill

Radical Hill looking back towards Webster Pass and Red Cone

Red Cone