ATV riding on public secondary roads Does your state allow it

Great News for New Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this post is a few months old, but I live in NM and as of this month (July), all 3 of our quads are "on pavement" legal. I might even get my 85 ATC 250R an "on pavement" sticker. What is odd, is that no turn signals, mirrors, or horn are required. I don't plan on riding on the street very often, but it is nice to have the option. I DO plan on purchasing more mirrors (I already have one set to use when pulling a sled in the winter) and turn signals that are easy to remove. Speaking of which, has anyone seen such a set up? One that can be installed and removed quickly? I did some searches but have not seen anything that I like. I have seen led light bars that might be worth looking at.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:34 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi nachop: Thanks for confirming the "on pavement" New Mexico law. I think you may be like a lot of folks; having street legal laws doesn't mean we're commuting to work on our ATVs everyday.

I outfitted my Can Am Outlander with mirrors, horn, and turn signals. I find the mirrors very valuable on the trail as I can monitor the riders behind me. I find the horn valuable on the trail as I can alert the rider in front of me that I need to stop for some reason. My turn signals are small 1" diameter LEDs that fit into the bumper end caps, but are very bright indeed. See photo below.

I'm ready for Colorado to get it's act together and make ATVs / UTVs street legal on secondary roads posted 45 mph or less. I have pulled my ATV on forest service roads (very rough 4wd truck roads) to a staging area and then ridden my ATV on from there on the same darn road. They are "low maintenance" roads into the national forest area tent campsites and the like. They are very scenic. They are maybe 15 to 20 mph roads on the ATV due to rocks and holes a guy has to dodge. We could camp overnight up there if we wanted to, but we ride the Off Road Vehicle trails.

David

Old 07-21-2018, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Hello David,

Thanks for sharing and hopefully Colorado will implement the changes soon.
And you are correct, I think most people will not make it a habit to ride their ATVs or drive their UTVs on pavement. I see the "on pavement" law a win-win situation. I too have trailered our quads when switching to a trail just a few miles away. Where did you get you horn and turn signals?

Old 07-21-2018, 08:16 PM
Back Country Explorer

Well, I purchased my from EZturnsignals out of Arizona. They do make it easy and you can order just the stuff you need. I liked the small, bright LEDs. The fuses and switches all came in the kit. Here, take a look:

Which Turn Signal Kit Should I Get For My UTV / ATV?

There are others who make kits too.

David

Old 07-22-2018, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

Thank you David. I will check it out.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:55 AM
Range Rover

In Utah I have licensed my last few ATVs and SxS's for highway use, instead of for offroad use. Tomorrow I pick up a new Can Am SxS, and I am licensing it for highway use as well. You have more access with a license plate than you do with an offroad sticker. National Forest Service land, particularly National Parks, are off limits with an offroad sticker, but are legal with a street legal ATV or SxS that has a license plate. Kind of silly, really, because it is the same vehicle except for turn signals and mirrors, just licensed differently.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

Here in NM, you can get 2 stickers. One is the off-highway that is renewed every 2 years and gives you access to all state off-road parks (which are not that many), the other is the on-pavement which can have restrictions depending on where in NM you live. And get this, you can purchase a permanent on-pavement sticker for $2 additional dollars. I am not sure how this is going to work. What if one decides not to renew the off-highway sticker? it seems like it should be the other way around.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:37 AM
Back Country Explorer

In Colorado it is required we buy an off highway vehicle "permit" every year for about $25. We stick the sticker to the sides of our ATVs, UTVs, dirt bikes, and off highway jeeps. The fee helps fund maintenance of the trails.

It would be great to have laws like New Mexico and Utah where we could install standard on highway equipment like mirrors, turn signals, horn, helmet, eye protection and the like and license our vehicles. Then we too could carefully ride up the Forest Service bumpy gravel roads to a campsite or trail head. Back country Forest Service roads are great for scenic drives and offer many of the same experiences as an ATV trail. I think doing this would take some pressure off the trails as more ATV and UTV riders would be satisfied with a ride down a Forest Service road to a mountain lake, or even a dirt road in the mountains. Many passengers on or in our ATV / UTVs really don't care for the rough rides on low maintenance trails. I know my wife doesn't.

David

Old 07-29-2018, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

I totally agree. I don't mind the riding on challenging trails, but it is nice to take a break. I DO anticipate problems with the "on-pavement" law in NM though. Currently, the ONLY things required are a headlight, tail light, and to meet sound restrictions (no greater than 96 decibels). I believe our off highway permit cost the same, but we have to buy ours for 2 years. I still think it is odd to only have to pay $9 for a PERMANENT on pavement permit. I am sure they are going to add a clause stating that the off highway permit must be kept current.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:34 PM
Back Country Explorer

Yeah, maybe the New Mexico laws are a bit lax. That won't bother responsible riders. If people start getting hurt in ATV / UTV accidents for whatever reasons, the normal reaction is more regulations. Just look at how the automobile had changed over the years. I hope New Mexico riders take advantage of the freedom given and ride safe for their own sake and the welfare of others.

David

Quick Reply: Great News for New Mexico