ATV riding on public secondary roads Does your state allow it

ATV on road law RI/MA

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:07 PM
SuzukiOzark250 Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV on road law RI/MA

In accordance to RI Law 31-3.2-7, you can legally ride an Atv/Recreational vehicle on public roads in severe weather conditions where it is impractical to drive a car.
1. Does my Atv have to be registered for it to be used on the road during this time?
2. Does Massachusetts have a law like this where Atv use on roads is legal during storms like this?

Old 07-20-2018, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't know the direct answers. You'd probably have to ask your DMV and Mass. DMV too.

I'm pretty sure it's intended for situations like Vermont faced when Hurricane Irene washed out bridges and roadways, or snowstorms like the Feb. 1978 storm that made roads impassable and resulted in hundreds of people stranded in cars on 128 and other roads. In the case of VT people with quads drove through washed out areas to get help to neighbors and the elderly. In 1978 people on snowmobiles went car to car getting people out and to safety.

Mass. and RI basically hate ATVers. Mass. has a few state parks where you can ride. The biggest trail system has a whopping 18 miles. Contrast that to So. Maine where you can ride over 100 miles in a day or more.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:48 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moose is right. The chances either one of those states legalizing ATV and UTV vehicles for public road use is nearly zippo. We are not street legal here in Colorado either much to my chagrin. Many western states do have laws making ATVs and UTVs legal for road use.

That said, I ride my Can Am on the dirt roads around my neighborhood until the sheriff tells me not to. I will point to Colorado's "slow moving vehicle" law written for farm machinery and construction equipment and the like. There are a lot of ATVs and UTVs used on farms and ranches so I designated mine as "farm equipment". I clip on the required government spec orange triangle on the back, I turn my lights on, stay to the right, and I drive 25 mph or less. I have a copy of the law in the storage box on my machine. I doubt the sheriff's deputy will be impressed, but hey, I'm trying to do it right.

Driving on a dirt road where there may be one car every 15 minutes is a lot different than in a populated city area.

David

Old 07-23-2018, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by dbj216
Moose is right. The chances either one of those states legalizing ATV and UTV vehicles for public road use is nearly zippo. We are not street legal here in Colorado either much to my chagrin. Many western states do have laws making ATVs and UTVs legal for road use.

That said, I ride my Can Am on the dirt roads around my neighborhood until the sheriff tells me not to. I will point to Colorado's "slow moving vehicle" law written for farm machinery and construction equipment and the like. There are a lot of ATVs and UTVs used on farms and ranches so I designated mine as "farm equipment". I clip on the required government spec orange triangle on the back, I turn my lights on, stay to the right, and I drive 25 mph or less. I have a copy of the law in the storage box on my machine. I doubt the sheriff's deputy will be impressed, but hey, I'm trying to do it right.

Driving on a dirt road where there may be one car every 15 minutes is a lot different than in a populated city area.

David
I remember the first time I rode on a road legally in NH. Freaked me out. They used Berlin, NH streets as connectors between a couple trail systems. First time I was out I read the town rules that were posted on the way out of the ATV park onto the town roads. In this case, you are told to ride with traffic and use hand signals for turns. Had a big Dodge 1-ton pickup behind me the whole time. I felt pretty small. Now they have ATV festivals up there every year that draw in thousands of riders. It's been good for the economy up there to put it mildly.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its different riding on some secluded dirt or gravel road opposed to riding a busy street in town. Cars barely pay attention to other cars, motorcycles especially have trouble being seen. Atvs wouldn't fare much better. You'd have to be on your toes at all times.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:51 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi greg74: Yep, I was very alert riding my motor scooter on public highways, same with my motorcycle, same with my son's 50cc Honda scooter, same while riding my bicycle on city roads. I'm safer riding in a dump truck, but not as much fun.

Many states (22?) do have street legal laws for ATVs and UTVs with various rules and restrictions. Many ATV enthusiasts would not license their vehicle and will trailer it to the trails as they know the dangers of public roads. But other oddballs like me would take the risk and have a nice afternoon ride in the country on the ATV, why not?

Some photos depicting the future...

David

Old 07-26-2018, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I'd rather ride straight from my door too. I loved that about some of the places I've ridden in NH, ME, and UT.

I'm moving up to Nottingham, NH in August. If we have a good winter here and the lake freezes over I can ride the across the lake to the west and into a NH State Park that allows winter riding for ATV's as long as there is groomable snow and the temperature is below freezing. Should be fun. Don't have to pack up for the day. Can just ride how for a nice warm lunch before going out again.