Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Recon picked

Old 06-07-2000, 04:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a new recon '00 ($3420 out the door) for my future wife after much deliberation. I had been seriously considering a trailboss, but it was just too big for her (5'2"). We also looked at the bayou 220, but but for a few hundred more we got honda reliability, nice front suspension, and its a little bigger. She was a bit concerned about having to manually shift (no experience with it) but I figured that with a auto clutch, it wouldn't be too hard to pick up. So far, after a few hours on the machine, she already has it down enough so she's not "jerking" or "jumping" it when she transitions through the gears.

Actually, I just went to the dealership where I got my 400ex to look at the recon, cause I heard such good things about it here. I test drove it quite a bit. Actually, I couldn't get off it, it is really fun to drive - very easy. That was it, it passed my "can't get off the dang thing cause its too fun to ride" test; I mean, it sold itself!

I noticed the vibrating shifter (noisy at low rpm's) after riding a bit, and could tell that if you rested your foot against the side of the shifter it would stop - like others have said. I was wondering if laying a bead of weld across the backside (facing the engine) would strengthen the shifter so it would stop vibrating? Anyone try it? It might not stop it from vibrating, but the weld may interupt the harmonics of it so it isn't noisy.

I just want to thank everyone for all the posts regarding the aforementioned fourwheelers, it helped immensely.

Old 06-07-2000, 09:34 AM
Range Rover

You should look into a riding class for your wife. My wife and I attended one after I purchased my wolverine and we both benefited from it. She is much more comfortable riding now.

BTW - most manufacturers will pay you to take the class. Yamaha pays $75.00 and I think that both Suzuki and AC pay $100.00.

I think you made a good choice on the Recon, I've never driven one, but like you said I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Old 06-07-2000, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

When you first picked up the recon did it do that there or did it start when you got home after a few hours?

Old 06-07-2000, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

sqooze - The salesman did tell me about the safety class, honda does offer one; unfortunately, no money is given! Seriously, I've been riding for 17 years and feel pretty comfortable helping her one on one. I feel its quite important to log lots of time on relatively flat land first so one can get used to opperating the machine w/o having to "think" about what you're doing, i.e. when shifting, braking becomes natural. Also, I have access to some nice easy hills, so she can get used to climbing, decending, and crossing sideways.

I agree with the classes though, there are many things that I have to "remember" to let her know. I'll see how my instruction pans out, we may very well sign up yet.

lovinhonda - No, actually I didn't notice the rattle until we had logged about an hour on it. Everything always works perfectly at the dealership though! Do you think the bolt may need tightening? It does have the honda yellow "loctite" paint on the bolt head.

Old 06-07-2000, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

If it was you'r bolt it would of fell out by now
because if it is vibrating and the bolt was loos
the shifter would have fell off. Now are friends honda atv did the same thing, it vibrated alote when you tride to put power to the wheels and i told them to turn up the rev limiter and it dosn't do it as bad any more. Im not sure if this will fix you'r atv but you can try it.

Old 06-07-2000, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

Good choice, my wife is 5'4". The trail boss was big for her also. My wife had zero motorcycle or ATV experience. She picked up the auto clutch.

The quad handles very very good.

Congratulations of you choice, you won't regret.

Old 06-07-2000, 08:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yamaha's deal is take the class, and based on what safety rate your helmet have, either a $75 or $100 dollar refund(?). Just DOT rated, was $75, both DOT/SNELL are $100.