Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

HELP!Which ATV is for me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 01:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!Which ATV is for me!

Narrowed choices down to Arcticcat 400 4x4 auto IRS ($5250) or Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 auto ($5150).Will use for hunting,plain riding and pushing snow.First time buyer any help would be appreciated!Thanks!

Old 03-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

personally i like the kodiak. its a well rounded proven machine and should perform better than the cat.

Old 03-04-2004, 01:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Have you considered the Eiger?

Between the two, I'd lean more towards the Kodiak. I don't like the added weight od the AC on the 376cc motor compared to the Eiger. I guess the AC would be fine for how you'll be using it. The IRS might be nice. I would still lean towards the Kodiak.

Old 03-04-2004, 02:31 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I love my Arctic Cat 400. Don't worry about the added weight of the Cat, it comes in really nice when you are plowing. The Cat does not seem to be too heavy for the engine, either. You are not going to win any drag races, but you won't be left behind on the trails either. For hunting the Cat also has a better rack capacity, but both could handle your deer. Also I love the IRS with 12 inches of ground clearance, comes in real handy up here when you are in the tundra, or going over rocks. 10" of adjustable suspension travel is nice too.

That is the ATV that worked best for my needs, be sure to ride them both, I have never been on the newer Kodiak's but am sure they are a nice machine too.

Old 03-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

The Kodiak/Grizzly Transmission has a great reputation. I just wanted to add that since noone else detailed why the Yamaha performs better. I have a buddy who has an Artic Cat 400 and complained about some parts being harder to find locally.The support for Yamaha is larger in my opinion.

Old 03-05-2004, 03:13 AM
Pro Rider

Had a Big Bear, then bought a Cat 500i. The Cat is the hands down winner, and not just in the power department. Rode a lot smoother, much better ground clearance, pulled better, didn't rattle my kidneys out when I hit rough ground...

Coming up on two years and 900 miles on the Cat - still hasn't broken anything. Not the fastest machine on the market, but it just crawls over everything.

Old 03-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Range Rover

Well I hope that the AC 500i has more power

Trending Topics

Old 03-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Range Rover

Hey dirt rooster, I was wondering how your spacers are working out for you and if they help in teh handleing department.

Old 03-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

If you can't afford the rear Dura Blue axle I would recommend using them. They have helped me bigtime from tipping. I love to powerslide and before I got them I was always grabbing traction and tipping over.Also if you are going to jump more than 60 ft I would have to say go with the axle also. I have heard stories of raptors axles with wide spacers bending easier due to the weight/power . I ride with a KFX 700 rider and he is just shy of my width but he has a lot more weight. When we ride the only thing I do not like about them is sometimes they are too wide on trails. Handlings is as if you had the axle.

Old 03-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Range Rover

Thanks, do you have the axle or just the spacers, by the way, your Raptor is sweet![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]