Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Plowing snow & light duty ATV

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plowing snow & light duty ATV

I'm selling off my JD garden tractor in favor of an ATV to plow my driveway, and although I'm an experienced rider, I've never shopped for one of my own.

I live in suburban Minneapolis and want it primarily for plowing snow in MN, but expect to do a light duty yardwork and the kids (young) will take it leisure riding as well. I have set a budget of $2500-3000. Everything I read about plowing has been with a 400 or bigger, but I would like to go with a 250-325 if they can handle it. Is 4x4 a big advantage in plowing or would 2x4 be sufficient? I'd also like reverse and an automatic, because of they make it user friendly for the kids. Any OPINIONS would be appreciated including particular makes, models etc.

Thanks
Shawn

Old 03-30-2004, 01:55 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

4x4 is for sure a must. Don't bother without it. Also, I would think you could get away with something smaller then a 400 if you need to, I love mine and feel it has more then enough power. However older ones don't have the hp and torque that they do now. If you are set at that price with an auto, your options are a little limited. Check out an older (late 90's) Kawasaki Prarire, or even a Polaris Xplorer or Sportsman. Watch out on the Polaris though, it is tricky finding a good used one, but they are out there. Also, I recomend you get a 60" plow, and a winch to operate that plow (and for when you get stuck out riding!!!) as a manual lift plow gets old and is a lot harder.

I am sure others know WAY more on this topic then I do, but I just wanted to give you my $.02

Old 03-30-2004, 02:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for input. Good idea for the winch!!

Nothing is set in stone. I have that in cash on hand to spend, but I'd prefer not to break the bank since riding is not my passion. My wish list is just that, I am trying to find middle ground for my work, the kids fun and access to my wife's checkbook!!!

I am leaning towards a Honda Rancher 350, then adding the Warn 424 for some flexibility. I am going to visit a few dealers to get a better feel.

If I go used, what are some things to watch for to give me a true idea of the condition? What are some common bandaids used to hide faults?

Old 03-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Range Rover

Rancher would be my choice. Very dependable. Good quad for kids. (how old our they) . I don't think they're automatic trans. I also think you could plow with a small 2wd quad with chains on rear. They do it with lawn tractors.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

You might lie to go with the arctic cat 300 or 400. I think you can get them in 4x4 and they are pretty tough machines. they are also good for trails light leisure riding

Old 04-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

the wolverine will push all the snow you want, while still being a fun trail machine. I bought myne with a winch for 3grand.
its worth taking a look at.