Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First time buyer-what to get for SAND?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time buyer-what to get for SAND?

Hi,

Looking to buy for the first time, I searched the forums for info on a good "first timers ride" for the sand, but didn't see any info, so here goes. I've never ridden before, but it looks like fun. What do you suggest for a newbie who will spend most of the time riding in sand. The easiest to operate, maintain and inexpensive are important factors, but I don't want junk, obviously.. Any info is greatly appreciated. I assume I could buy a "generic" model and then retro fit it to work well on the dunes. What ever my options are, fire away... I'm sure I'll get some good info here.

Thanx again,

//eddy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

How tall are you. if you are under 6 foot you can get away with a blaster. They do alright at the dunes and they are good for begginers. They can be modded for dirt or sand or both. and they are fairly easy to keep maintained. Just a thought, can anyone back me up

Old 04-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Ya... I would agree however I might also suggest a quad in the 400 class as another option only because when you start to get used to the blaster it may seem to small but your right... alot depends on how tall you are, how much you weigh etc.....

Old 04-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info,
I'm 5-10/5-11 150 pounds.
Sounds like I should be ok..

Old 04-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

DS 650 is an awsome sand quad. I've looked at 'em and know some that ride 'em. Suspension is awsome and it comes a bit wider than most. The seat is the most comfy you'll find I think. It's a little taller, but with your height you'd be fine. I would take a good look at it. A guy we ride with bought one for his wife and she loves it. One drawback would be if you are going to ride any tight trails, since it is a llittle wider.
But I would also maybe talk to others you know and see if you can ride what they have to help you figure it out.

Old 04-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Blaster is a kids toy and the DS is a big serious machine that I wouldn't recommend for the first time duner.

Something along the lines of a Suzuki Z400/ Kawasaki KFX400 will suit you well. They are reliable, stable, easy to operate machines with adequate performance for the first timer. They are also reasonably priced.

Old 04-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

like my dad alwayes told me, just keep it in the lower gears intill you get useto it.

are you going to be able to buy a bigger quad in 1-3 years from now when you want aq bigger one.

Trending Topics

Old 04-11-2004, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

alright.. my 11 year old brother has a blaster...... the blaster is a fun machine for me to ride, and him but i'm 14 years old, 5'7 and 145 lbs. ---- thats WAY to small for this beginner... it would be good for about a month... then he'd get sick of it.... if anything get a kawasaki kfx400 - or a honda 400ex - or a suzuki ltz400 - or a yamaha banshee/raptor.... the ds650 is nice and something youd want to get ifyou want a ballzy quad... but i would ONLy get it if i was riding in 95-100% sand.... --- the rest of the quads i mentioned are all good duners.

Old 04-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

her are my suggestions.

if you want a 4 stroke.
kfx.400
z.400
ds.650
raptor

if you want a 2 stroke which from someone who rides 100% sand I think would be the best way to go. ( just my 2cents )
banshee (my favorite)
250r (my second favorite)
blaster (they need alot of mods to get it to be a good dune bike)

Old 04-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

Go with the DS650, it's an awsome machine.

Quick Reply: First time buyer-what to get for SAND?