Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Stupid Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Dealers

OK, here's my story. I went to my local yamaha dealer the other day and was planing on buying a new banshee. I have been popping in every so often over the past 3 months checking to see when they will be getting one in. They had a 2004 LE model a couple of months ago but I didn't like the all black color, and so I didn't buy it. So now every time I go in they try to sell me a yfz450, and I tell them I am looking to buy a banshee. Now keep in mine that I have bought 3 new quads from this dealer in the past 9 years--a 1995 blaster, 1996 banshee, 2002 raptor and I have bought other things like parts ect from this place over the years. Well, just the other day I went to that dealer for the last time. I went in there and talked to the same sales person I have been dealing with for the past 9 years (she's the owner's daughter) I asked so when are you going to get some new banshee's in? And she said "I don't no if we are, the yfz450 is taking over" so I smiled and said ok then I left and drove 15 miles to another yamaha dealer. I walked in and looked around for a few minuets and found the color banshee that I wanted, by this time a salemen walked over and asked if he could help me with anything, I talked it over with him and he gave me a price of 5800 before tax's. The service I got at this dealer is much better. I should have went there years ago!

Old 04-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stupid Dealers

Go back to the first dealer and tell them that this dealer will give you a price on the banshee, and that you have dealt with her longer and would like to buy off of her again, but the other guy is offering this price, can you help me out since I bought three off of you in the past? Or see if she can get it from the other dealer and offer you a better price. Its your money spend it prudently. I always look for a good price and service, but a better price wins out over service to me...

Old 04-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Stupid Dealers

They are in business to make money. The more popular race quads are going to be the newest thing out. They probably sell more 450's so they just don't get as many Banshees in. If they don't have what you want to buy then you have to buy somewhere else. --- Since you'd rather not deal with them anymore, it wouldn't hurt to be a little pushier to get what you want at a cheaper price. I would also go back to the first dealer. Tell her that you want to know if she can get the Banshee in that you want. Tell her that another dealer has what you want at a decent price. But you want to give them a chance to make the sale because you've been dealing with them for soooo long. Don't tell them the other dealers price because they'll just aim a little under it. Keep in mind that the Banshees probably are not selling too good because of all the 450's, Raptors, and 400's. The retail price of a Banshee is $6099.00.
I would aim for a price of $5700.00 Out the Door including everything. Tax on $5800. would be $348. and watch that they don't surprise you with other fees. So your price is at least $6148.00. Never pay over the retail price out the door. The most I would pay out the door is $5900. including all fees. You really should be able to find one cheaper than $5900. Always ask for the out the door price including all fees. --- Don't even talk prices with a dealer until they have the exact quad that you want sitting in front of you.

Old 04-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default Stupid Dealers

Sounds like you already made your purchase. Congratulations on your finding a dealer that will work with you. In all fairness, did you tell the first dealer to find you one in a particular color? Or did you just keep coming back hoping to find one you liked... there is a question of sincerety of making the purchase... I doubt the dealer couldn't find you one if they knew you were serious about buying.

My local dealer will call around and find exactly the machine I want when I make it known I am ready to get the check book out. As far as what is on the floor, I expect they were honest in saying that they sell more of the YZF450's than a banshee. Most dealers have limited floor space to display product, and it is reasonable for them to display what sells the most...

You have to communicate your intentions....

Old 04-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stupid Dealers

Sometimes you do what you have to do..I've switched with three different dealers to finaly find the one that gives me the customer service that I want..but in your case since you've been with the first dealer for so long I would go back to them and tell them your sit. and maybe they will get you the banshee you want at a lower price..I work in retail and business's hate loosing there long and loyal customers to other places.

Old 04-20-2004, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stupid Dealers

Customer loyalty is a thing of the past at most places, so it would make sense the dealer loyalty is also a thing of the past. Use these two dealers against each other and get the best deal you can.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default Stupid Dealers

Well call me an old school dinosaur then, but when I find myself between a rock and a hard place, and have dealt with a dealer that has consitantly gone out of their way to help me out, way beyond what should be honestly expected.. you can bet I will return to their shop every time. It isn't a question of price at that point.... I think the real problem is when people go in demanding special treatment with a "what have you done for me today" attitude, they go in expecting to be treated badly and 9 times out of 10, if you are looking for a reason to be mad, you will find it. this is a hard lesson for me to teach my oldest son, but he has learned after the dealer has done the following for him:
1) He hit a tree with his blaster and ruined the frame. Dealer argued with Yamaha without us asking. Got us a new frame gratis...
2) Son crashed his R6 (his fault). Dealer gave huge discounts on parts to get him back on street good as new. (Over $1000 discounted)
3) Son's new R1 blows up with 500 miles on it. (His fault I believe) dealer gets a new bike from Yamaha...
4) Son crashes new bike after service was performed. (stuck throttle caused by crimped cable from factory) Successfully argued the case with Yamaha after initially turned down.

In all cases, the dealer went to bat for us without even being asked, they just did it. All this saved us untold thousands of dollars, and they didn't have to go to those extremes... but that is the way they do business.
Loyalty is something that is earned. To try and combine all dealers into one category is not rational. There are good dealers out there, and if you take time to establish a loyal relationship with them most likely it will be returned. I get a discount on everything I purchase there as well including parts etc. they didn't have to do that.... they just did it. I admit, not to many guys spend almost a hundred grand over 7 years in your typical dealership like I have, and I am sure I get special treatement that others do not get... but like I said before, loyalty is earned, and it is a two way street.

If you all are ever in northern Virginia and looking for the best dang Honda/Yamaha/KTM dealer on the planet, send me a PM, and I'll be more than happy to introduce you..