Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need Two ATVs for farm and play Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 12:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Two ATVs for farm and play Help!

Hello,
We are moving onto three acres to create a small farm. I am looking at ATVs as a dual solution product and would like some help from the experts here! First, we have never purchased an ATV but research indicates that they may be the solution for us. Heres the deal.

I am disabled, in that I cant do alot of walking, but I will need to get around this mildly hilly land we have purchased. I need an ATV for me that I can ride around the countryside(we are surrounded by open pasture and forested lands) but also need a machine to attach farm tools to.. a tiller, mower and a winch for pulling the stumps of small trees and bushes. It needs to be a bit beefy, because I weigh 250lbs (yikes!). Speed is not important, since I cant risk being bounced around too much.

The second can be a lighter model, for a 125 pound person with similar restrictions, but will be for strictly riding the hills.

We are hoping to be able to get both without breaking the bank. We have this one opportunity to afford these for the future of the farm and for fun, so your good advice will be greatly appreciated. We have both hoped to have an atv, and this is our one chance.

In addition, we are both cancer survivors, so this bit of enjoyment is a dream coming true. The surrounding hills and our little farm would be out of reach without ATVs.

I sure look forward to your responses, and appreciate having this forum to help us look for the right machines! Thank you!

Slowryder

Click here to send a personal email if you prefer.

Old 05-08-2004, 01:18 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: Slowryder

I am disabled, in that I cant do alot of walking, but I will need to get around this mildly hilly land we have purchased. I need an ATV for me that I can ride around the countryside(we are surrounded by open pasture and forested lands) but also need a machine to attach farm tools to.. a tiller, mower and a winch for pulling the stumps of small trees and bushes. It needs to be a bit beefy, because I weigh 250lbs (yikes!). Speed is not important, since I cant risk being bounced around too much.

The second can be a lighter model, for a 125 pound person with similar restrictions, but will be for strictly riding the hills.

We are hoping to be able to get both without breaking the bank.
Not knowing other than what is written above this is going to be hard to answer and as far as the point you make about not being bounced around has me concerned. Then the items you list you want to do with this quad could end up as much or more than the quad itself. I don't know how much money your willing to spend but for the items listed and if all purchased new I can see the money adding up real quick.

The quad you need will be around $6500 and the lighter use quad $4000 and this is just rouding out averages and could be more or less.

You can look at the site below for added items:

http://www.swisherinc.com/

I realize my answer is some what vague but I don't know really what type of money you are willing to spend and then a solid axle quad is going to be somewhat destructive on 3 acres if repeatedly ridden in the same area and while I use my quads at are place quite a bit, I would never give up are small tractors.

Old 05-08-2004, 01:48 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe something like a Honda Foreman 450 (time proven work machine!) for you and the farm, and something light like a Recon for the other machine. Both are available with ES (electric shift) if you don't want to shift with your foot.

http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/

Old 05-08-2004, 03:09 AM
Range Rover

You should probably take a look at the Polaris Sportsman 400 for the work quad. This machine can do all the work of the bigger machines for a lot less money. It has all of the nice features of the bigger ones that you may like, especially being disabled. It has 1 hand braking, meaning 1 lever actuates both front and rear breaks, totally auto tranny, and floorboards to keep your feet in a comfy position. It has independent suspension and a big soft seat to keep you from taking a pounding from the machine. On demand 4x4 comes standard on it. This machine new will cost about $5,899.

As for the smaller machine, there's nothing here that will give you as much comfort and ease of use as the Sportsman 400. But if it has to be less expensive and still be a fun machine then I would suggest a Honda Recon/Suzuki Ozark/Yamaha Bear Tracker. These bikes have a solid rear axle and ride real stiff compared to the Sportsman 400. All 3 are 4x2 machines, meaning no 4 wheel drive. They are all utility based but with light chassis and a more sporty feel than you would expect. Brand new, these machines come in at under $4,000.

If you have $11,000 to spend on 2 new quads, I'd get 2 sportsman 400s because they would fit a disabled person perfectly. If you plan to just ride around at low speeds and sometimes get a little brave with mud and banks or something, these quads would be perfect. I can't over state how comfortable they are compared to most other machines.

Other than that I would say go to a few dealerships and sit on some quads and see what one feels the best to you.

Old 05-08-2004, 03:45 AM
RIP Dear Friend

reconranger,

I didn't really want to say a quad type or brand because there is so many good ones now in production but I think you read my mind[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I said "like", so nobody could accuse me of starting a Chevy vs Ford thing!

Buyer beware though.............you will buy a work machine and find out it is so much fun, you will be out trail riding more than working! A friend of mine who has orange groves bought an old Honda 300 for the farm. Now he is talking a whole list of sport bikes for the whole family!

I do cancer research, by the way.