Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First time buyer.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-1999, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 6'1", the Honda 300 may feel a little small for you. Not bashing Hondas, I've got a Foreman 400 myself. A very important factor in your purchase, not being a vertically challenged person, should be "Fit & Feel". Try the Prarie 400 or the Magnum 500. Try them all!! Buy the one that feels most comfertable to YOU. Now I'm not saying to base your entire decision on this factor alone, but it should be at the top of your list. It seems that you don't really care about bells and whistles, full auto or semi auto, just a good reliable machine.

Old 09-01-1999, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Just a note, Honda not done Releasing the 2000 line up yet.Theirs a couple hiding in the wings.

I think the manafactures show in North caralina is September 15,Where all manafactures show off their new toys.

Would sombody confirm the date.

Old 09-01-1999, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good Points Everybody!

I'm 6'1" and 270 (before supper)anyway to the point.

Welcome ahunter; looks like your on an atv safari in search of the ultimate game. "THE BEST ATV"

My opinion is that's like hunting for a unicorn; treat this like your hunting for real.
Match your weapon (YOU!) to the game (ATV!) your hunting.
Robv and trx430ex are right on target about trying them all and see what Honda may be coming out with.

What Have You Got To Lose: Look how long you have hunted without one.

Remember: "Haste Makes Waste" and "Great Things Come To Those Who Wait"

Good Hunting ahunter hope you bag a trophy!

mborum

(this thing needs a spell checker)

[This message has been edited by mborum (edited 09-01-1999).]

[This message has been edited by mborum (edited 09-01-1999).]

Old 09-01-1999, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer

For some reason I thought that I read that September 9th is going to be the release date for the new Hondas. How long it will take to get to the dealers is another story. I am hoping for a Foreman 500 with independent rear and push button 4wd. What a monster that would be!

Old 09-02-1999, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well said mborum,
Yer right, I'm on a hunt for the elusive one. I've been cramming for this hunt so that I get a decent one. It's kinda like wanting a 12 pointer that makes the record books and tastes great also.

I'll be taking a ride to look at the Arctic Cat this weekend but I'll wait a little longer to see the Honda's.

I'm reading anything and everything I can get my hands on right now.

How come there are sooooooo many Polaris haters out there??? From what I read it sounds like a good bike, (but a little expensive).

Old 09-02-1999, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer

What we need is a consumer reports for ATVs.

The magazines generally do not want to say that a particular quad has problems, because that manufacturer would pull all their advertising. And also, when they test a bike, they almost always have a brand spankin new one.

Some car magazines (Car & Driver I think) has a section in the back that has updates on how a car has done, including any repairs. I think that would be great if the magazines could do something like that.

Old 09-02-1999, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have 2 quads a 425 and a 600 and I agree there is no place the 600 will go that the 425 can't. However from my experience if my buddies are riding 400's and up I don't want to be dragging up the rear on a 300 all the time. Check out the deals on 99 model years, I know for example Yamaha sells a 99 grizzly for around the same price as a 2000 Kodiak.
If you wan't a low cost option that will smoke your buddies uphills - try a polaris explorer 400 2 stroke 4x4. More HP's than a sportsman at 200lbs lighter. You don't read much about them because they are 2 strokes (liquid cooled) and Chain drive. I've been told the motors hold up well for thousands of miles, (Low RPM's not like a snowmobile)
and well you have to oil chains ? If I bought a 300 3 months later I would be begging for a bigger machine - don't do it!!!

Old 09-02-1999, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

I think the new Explorers are only chain drive to the rear, shaft to the front. While a 2 stroke isn't usually the best for work the 400 is big and a reliable motor. Plus it's liquid cooled. You also get the best 4WD drive on the market. Some argue that,but how 3 wheels pulling is better than 4 wheels I don't know.
On top of all the you'll have a utility quad that will surprise all your buddies
Don't forget the 500 Magnum either.
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 09-02-1999, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have to ask you for your true NEEDS...and your WANTS...If you are the only one hunting...a super powerfull machine truley seems like a waste of cash to me....Is it nice to say "I have a Kodiak"...yes...will it fit your needs...I dont know. My vote is copmpletely different then all the others on this discussion so far. I think that a Yamaha Wolverine would very nicely fit into your situation. It has a tried and true mill, (borrowed from the Warrior), is relatively light for a 4x4...has excellent suspension and brakes...Lists for hundreds less than all the other quads that have been thrown into the fray. Is it a mud wagon, no. Will it tow 16 men and a boy...no. Is it far more manueverable than the rest...yes. On a trail there is not another 4x4 out there that will keep up..save for a scrambler. I think that you should at least take a look at its track record and give one a ride. I only wish I had one ..instead of borrowing my friends!!!

Old 09-03-1999, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

If can get an AC500 for approx $5500 would that be a good deal?

Quick Reply: First time buyer.