Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying a 2nd quad for the family

Old 09-23-1999, 12:53 PM
Rod
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,

Now that I've had my ATV for a year and found that (a) its really fun and useful, (b) its hasn't been a maintenance headache, and (c) it hasn't been a hazzard to health or property -- I'm ready to add to the fleet.

I started out with the clear intent of getting an LT-80 so the kids could ride along through the fields and trails. But then I started thinking about my wife, my 24 year-old daughter, and one friend who drops by to help around the farm. While none of these people are very large, they really won't be served very well by the little 80. And I'm more likely to want to branch out and do some exploring with them and, with someone along on a more conventional machine, its safer to venture farther from home base. Still, I'd like the kids to get some experience and fun just puttering around some easy trails and fields.

So maybe I'm asking too much of a single quad, but two options look viable: the Yamaha Breeze (125cc) and the Suzuki LTF-160.

While I like the idea of an automatic (especially for kids and inexperienced adults), I'm not sure the Breeze is suitable for an adult -- even a small to medium sized one. The LTF-160 might be just right: decent for casual trail riding and small enough for a kid to handle under limited/controlled circumstances. Also, the price is substantially lower than the Recon, Bayou, etc. Just a nice family quad.

But I've never seen a 160 mentioned here or anywhere else for that matter. I saw a picture of one with a teenager on it in Dirt Wheels, but that's it. It seems to be in a weird size category all its own but it might be just the ticket for a "2nd quad" so to speak.

I'd be interested in any comments you might have on the 160 (ease of use, reliability, et al), the Breeze, or my rationale for getting either one for the family.

Thanks,

Rod [98 Honda 450ES ...and its yellow]

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-23-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-24-1999).]

Old 09-23-1999, 09:49 PM
Range Rover

Rod, I just sold an lt160 this summer to unload it for a new trail boss for my wife and kids to ride (piggyback). After learning (due to ignorance) that Polaris made an automatic quad that was twice the size and the same price as the Suzuki, I had to make a move. We bought the 160 in a hurry and didn't shop for other quads in the auto catagory. I found that the 160's are VERY light in the front end making them easy to flip inexperienced riders on their back...happened to the wife and another friend of the family. Get yourself to a local Polaris dealer and check out the Trailblazer ($2999.00)and TrailBoss. The Boss is 200 bucks more. I can't believe the difference in quality and stability between the two makes. As far a the kids, get them a quad that fits...it's worth the wait to keep them safe! The Polaris' have a big ole seat to fit em on anyway. Good luck.

------------------
Steve Small, 00' 400ex, 00' 325 Trail Boss for the Mrs.

Old 10-04-1999, 12:37 PM
Rod
Trailblazer

Greetings,

Well, Mr. EXtreme, I took your advice and went to a dealer (who actually sold every brand out there) and compared the Trail Boss to the LT-160.

And you were right -- for $200 more, the Trail Boss is just a whole lot more machine. It is amazing how large and substantial it is overall for such a small displacement, I really liked the fit and feel of it (especially the wide seat and gas tank) and I'm over six foot and 220 pounds.

I also looked at the Bayou (same general size and price range) which I liked because of the shaft drive. But its kind of boring looking (more utility) compared to the Trail Boss plus the Polaris has an automatic transmission (nice for the family). I can see why people like them.

My only hesitation here is that for two years I have been reading horror stories about Polaris reliability and customer support. Just need to think it over.

Thanks again for your comments.

Rod 98 450ES [...and its yellow]