Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What's the downside for not title my ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the downside for not title my ATV?

I plan to buy 2 ATVs at about $5k each from out of state (better deal and no sales tax). I live in Nevada. ATVs do not require registration. I can ride anywhere legally regardless of having a title or not. However, the DMV do issue title to ATVs. The catch is that I must pay the sales tax and title fee to the DMV in order to get a title. Approx. $800 total. The big question is what's the downside for not having a title? If I were to keep them forever, it probably doesn't matter. But if I were decided to sell them or trade them in later, will it cause me a lot of trouble?

Old 08-17-2004, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the downside for not title my ATV?

Well..........for Missouri you are required to title and register all ATVs. I know this will stir a lot of Missouirians, but it is the law. I know there are a LOT of ATVs that are not titled and never will be. Why they don't title them is the same reason you don't want too, the sales tax. The down side here in Missouri is resale might be hurt, unless you sell to another individual that doesn't care if it is not titled. You could not trade your ATV at a dealership without a title either.