Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Honda Forman ES or Wolverine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Forman ES or Wolverine?

Hi Guys! Yes I am back once again with a dilemma!

I thought I was sold on a Wolvie but, after a day of riding two honda foremans one being a rubicon, I am now undecided.

I liked the power of the Formans, but didn't care for the slow steering response of the 4wd. I know they performed well on the trails and moved through just about anything and talk about hill climbing!

So, now I am starting to get shakey on the wolvie... If I am right the foreman ES has 2wd capabilities straight from the dealer, whereas the wolvie needs a warn kit to disengage the front.

The wolvie looks like it will handle the trails more nimbly (new word?) than the foreman but the foremans have more cc's.

So I could use some of your opinions on which one might be a better choice.

Can you help me out?

Give me a hollar!

E

Old 08-28-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are doing a fair split on work/trail, the Hondas will probably be more to your liking, they will work all day and still be fine on the trail. If your taste is more speed, handling and fast trails with a little work thrown in, the Wolverine will make you a lot happier in the long run. It is a lot easier to mod the Wolverine, since almost all Warriror parts bolt right on, and with the Warn 424, it will powerslide like a sport quad. The Hondas can trail ride all day, and be a comfortable ride, but won't be as sporty, and probably not as quick, even though they are bigger cc's. The final decision is yours, just be sure exactly want you are looking for in a 4wd quad, and you'll be happy with whatever choice you make. I hope I have helped a little on this.

Old 08-28-2004, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input 95 wolv! you are exact in line with my thinking!

I will be doing little to no work with it and mainly be kicking some cc's on the trails all the time!

So, it sounds like I have one vote for keeping with my wolvie choice!

Are you sure I will not be missing the cc's? actually I didn't get it up to much speed (mr safety) I kept it under 40. The trails are quite complex and fields have a bunch of good ol' Virginia rocks... but I do not want to outgrow this one too quickly

I could use some more input guys!

Thanks for the help!

(can I put more enthusiasm in my posts?)

E

Old 08-29-2004, 02:53 AM
Range Rover

95wolv summed it up very well. As far as pure recreation, the wolverine is hard to beat. It is just pure fun and handles just about anything you want to do. The Foremans are great workers and fun to ride too, but aren't near as light and nimble and are a tad slower I believe.

Old 08-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the response Rock777!

This information helps out alot guys!

Question: How is the Yamaha in respect to maintenance? The Hondas seem rock solid and require little extra maint. How about Yamaha?

E

Old 08-30-2004, 06:35 PM
Range Rover

The Wolverines have a great reputation as far as reliability. They have been around for 10 years now so if they weren't dependable, they would have discontinued them by now. I've only had mine for less than a year with no problems, but I'm sure other guys on here will tell you about the durability of their wolverine.

Old 09-02-2004, 02:39 AM
Trailblazer

Honda's are for old people. Buy a wolverine.

Trending Topics

Old 09-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Deimos
Honda's are for old people. Buy a wolverine.
Huh?

Lowend5- It sounds like the Wolverine might be better for you. Considering you'll mainly be using it for the trails. There are a few things I like and dislike about the Wolverine. It looks a little outdated by todays standards. It doesn't have a 2 to 4 wheel drive switch. (Some people have had small problems with the 424 on the Wolverine.) It has the limited slip diff. The Foreman has a switchable 2 to 4 wheel drive and a Torsen diff.

The Wolverine does weigh a lot less than the Foreman and has disc brakes.

Really, you are comparing apples and oranges. Maybe you should compare the Wolverine to other models in the 300 to 350 cc range. (Rancher 350, Outlander 330, Bruin 350, or even the Eiger.)

I wish Yamaha would bump the Wolverine up to a 400 while keeping a sporty look. Add a 2 to 4 switch and maybe even a Torsen diff. While keeping it as light as possible. Then I might buy one. I like the idea of a light sport 4x4 with enough power to play.

If you like the Wolverine then you should buy one. It just wouldn't hurt to look around a little bit more.

Old 09-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input. I agree The wolvie doesn't have a 2 to 4 wheel drive switch, it has the limited slip diff and the Foreman has a switchable 2 to 4 wheel drive and a Torsen diff.

I too wish Yamaha would bump the Wolverine up to a 400 while keeping it light and giving it sporty look, add a 2 to 4 switch and maybe even a Torsen diff.

I have been speaking with a lot of dealers and have found out that I am the 1% of population out there that is looking for a quick, sport quad with 2/4wd capabilities and a semiauto foot shifter.

Man is this rare or what? I just don't understand why other people do not want this as well...

It seems like everyone either goes pure sport or pure UTE.

I looked at the Scram 500, and rancher as well... The only thing I am having a hard time with is that I am looking at the Rancher and out of the 19 configurations for atv's that Honda offers I don't see one that offers the following options:

1: optional foot shift (semi-auto) and full auto tranny. (the rancher AT offers the full auto and shifting with the left hand option...drop the hand option to the foot and I would be a happy camper)

2. 2wd or 4wd capability.

3. 400cc's

4. Sporty looking and a seat that isn't pretty much flat... I like the larger tank and the seat going up it a bit for thigh support.

5. as light as it can be....

Like I said the wolvie pretty much fits that criterea with the warn424. I just cannot find one around the MD/VA area to save my life...

The Foreman s fits the bill pretty much just doesn't have the sporty frame/look and shifting criterea that I would optimally like...

The Rancher AT is close but it doesn't have the foot shift option unless you get the straight 4wd all time.

I guess I am just an odd rider....

Maybe I should just go with a Honda XR250R ... Just kidding!

Thanks for the comments and help!

If anyone else has an opinion or information for me let me know!

Old 09-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Range Rover

Another great quad is the Suzuki Eiger. I have a friend I ride with that has one and they are a very fun, dependable quad. They have great power and get through pretty much anything I can get through. it is offered in auto or semi-auto. It's not quite as light and sporty as the wolverine, but has definitely impressed me. Oh and one thing it has on the wolverine is mud-protection, it is very well protected, the wolverine......not so much [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. The Suzuki Vinson is a step above the Eiger and is an awesome quad, but I don't think a 500 is what you are looking for.