Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Auto ATV for my wife?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto ATV for my wife?

I have been out of the ATVs for a couple years because of getting activated with the military. I'm looking for an auto for my wife that is fairly small and easy to handle. Any recommendations on brand/model and price?

Old 09-19-2004, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you looking for a complete auto no-shift like a Polaris? They have some nice quads in the TrailBoss and Trail Blazer series.

If you want an auto clutch where you still shift gears than maybe a Suzuki z250 or Honda 250ex might be the way to look.

Old 09-19-2004, 12:24 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: ss97
Are you looking for a complete auto no-shift like a Polaris? They have some nice quads in the TrailBoss and Trail Blazer series.

If you want an auto clutch where you still shift gears than maybe a Suzuki z250 or Honda 250ex might be the way to look.
he took the words right out of my mouth!!! You cant go wrong with any of those bikes.

Old 09-19-2004, 11:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I guess it really comes down to how much you want to spend. The Yamaha Bruin (350) may be a good choice with it's auto and selectable 4x4. Next in the Yamaha lineup would be the Kodiaks (400 &450). The 450 Kodiak is a good machine with auto, locking diff., IRS, and a selectable 4x4.

The Suzuki Eiger (400) would also be a good choice.

How much can you spend?

Old 09-20-2004, 01:20 AM
Range Rover

I am a wife, so I'll give you my opinion! I think the Honda Recon and the Suzuki Ozark are real nice small quads. (new about $3200 -3400.) I had a Recon, and it was a blast to ride. The reason I chose the Recon over the Ozark - I was brand new to riding, and had no idea what gear I was in, and the Recon has a gear indicator. They are both automatic clutch machines. I didn't like the way the Trailblazer felt - it was to "tall" for me.

The mid-size is something you may want to really look at. That Kodiak 450 is great - has everything a big-bore has in a smaller package. The 360 Prairie too. I really need a quad that had 4WD. We ride at Hatfield McCoy quite a bit, and the little quad with no 4X4 had some steep hills to go up.

I'd be real sure that she wants a small quad - I started out on a Rally 200 ($2800) 2 years ago, and now ride a Twin Peaks 700. You may create a monster if you're not careful!! The really best advice is to take her to the dealers, let her try out the machines you're thinking about and then make the decision. No matter which one you decide on, it'll be the right one for her! I think it's great that couples get out and ride, we have a great time. BTW - I sent you a pm, we live just north of you!! (Mrs. Q)

Old 09-20-2004, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replys. I want to buy her a large enough machine for her to be happy on without going too big or too small. She has 0 time on one so want to take her to get the rider course. We have not even rode ours on a trail yet since I have not been around. My '02 AC has 100 miles on it and the utility trailer sits here brand new. So we are just looking to spend some money so she has something to go down the hill and check mail for now. She would probably be happy on a 90 checking mail but for another grand, we can get her a real ATV. I use mine for plowing and pulling a trailer, great work horse. I really want engine braking (we live on a steep hill) so will try to talk her into a manual with easy shifting, maybe a recon. She does drive a manual car but feels an auto ATV would be better for her but she does not base that on anything since she has no time on one. I have tested the Polaris Trail Boss. I was really not impressed with it after riding a manual. Thanks again, time for her to test ride some and see what kind of a deal they have them.

Old 09-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

my girlfriend drives an outlander 400 4x4.she is scared of everything but not the outlander.its fully automatic .and rides over bumps like a couch on wheels.she used to own a honda foreman.she felt very secure on that bike too but didnt like the foot shift idea.too confusing to her.she prefers to just gas and go.these 2 quads are more expensive than the recon or ozark.but have better suspension especially the outlander and have 4 wheel drive.option good luck. they also make a 330 outlander its cheaper .