Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

i need help buying a quad someone please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help buying a quad someone please help.

Its a 1999 i dont know the model name but looks like a sports model. This gonna be my first quad its an automatic 250cc polaris. the dude is asking 1,500 he said the only problem with it is something minor with the carbuerator he says either it needs a throttle adjust ment or somthing like that he thinks maybe not enough gas is getting in so it bogs down or theres too much gas being dumped in. But it runs he let me ride it i loved it. But iam 16 years old and on my own so i dont want to get ripped so iam being very hesitant. help

Old 09-26-2004, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

its atough decision .because you dont know how well it was taken care of.or do you?my opinion is i know you definetly DONT want to wait but if you somehow can (which is hard to do) you could save up a bit more money and buy a brand new quad then youl be set.and there is alot of choices in the 250cc class and there not that expensive around 3 0r 4 thousand.you might think im nuts but look at it this way.what if you spend 1500 on the bike and there is more wrong with it than you think.now you have to dump MORE MONEY into a a USED quad when you could put that money towards a NEW quad.just another way to look at it .or you may buy that bike and be fine. its tough to say.some people say polaris quads arent the most reliable . i never owned one myself so i cant say.good luck be patient and you could get what you really want

Old 09-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

i appreciate it i found out its a trail boss and also that he just put 300 dollar tune up and he showed me the receipt. also the problem he said he found out was its the gas filter or somthing does that make sense???

Old 09-27-2004, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

if u want my opp. all polaris atvs suck u are better off buying a yamaha blaster

Old 09-27-2004, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer

He probably had to change the fuel filter or clean it some are a removable strainer that you can clean I agree with spikeland atv's hold there value better than almost anything a new atv in the 250 class is a better choice but if you are still interested in that quad try to get someone else who is mechanicaly inclined to go with you remember he is not buying it so he will be biased, he may see something you missed or point out something to you or if you need some advise lift the back wheels off the ground with it in gear turn the tires with both hands and see if there is any play if the nuts backed off that hold the hub on the axle the splines could be stripped axle/hub replacement is expensive check the front tires in the same way check the bearings for side to side and up and down play bad bearings will have play ask him if he has a owners manual the guys that keep that stuff usually do better maintainence on their bikes how clean the bike is in general I won't buy anything that looks rough or dirty that can mean neglect check the brakes out do they work well? check out the whole bike are all the bolts there? how much rubber is left on the tires? is the seat ripped? how do the racks look? do the shocks work well or do they feel springy? are the electrical connections corroded or rusty? how are the cables? does the exhaust have any holes in it? check the whole bike aver and don't overlook anything think about buying it before you do as you may change your mind overnight. just my two cents

Old 09-27-2004, 11:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It's really hard to give advice about a quad we can't look over or drive. There would be concerns about any quad for $1500. You just don't know how it or any quad has been treated. You can get an idea of it's value at KBB.com and or NADA.com. It would be a good idea to have a friend go with you to look at the quad. Make sure that it's not a friend that would love to have any quad.

When did you see the receipt? Was it for work to correct the carb problem or something else? Is the quad supposed to work fine now or is there still a problem?

You really don't want to buy someone elses problems. You might be paying less to purchase the quad but then pay more to keep it running. If you wait and pay more for a quad then you hopefully won't have to pay more later.

It's really up to you. We can't really tell you yes or no. Take time to research prices and don't be in a rush to buy. There will always be something else for sale around the corner.